Kristin M. Leiferman, M.D.
Professor in Dermatology
- B.S., summa cum laude, 1973, University of Minnesota
- M.D., 1978, Mayo Medical School
- Residency in Dermatology, 1978-1983, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
- Training in immunodermatology and research
- Board Certification in Dermatology and Dermatological Immunology/Diagnostic and Laboratory Immunology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Dr. Leiferman’s principal clinical and research interests are in allergic inflammatory reactions and in immunodermatology. She has expertise in eosinophil and mast cell biology in epithelial tissues including skin, upper and lower respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract. She has extensive knowledge and expertise in diagnostic testing for immune-mediated skin disease.
- She is a resource and a collaborator for investigations in Dermatology and in Allergy, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Pulmonology and Gastroenterology. Her laboratory work has been supported by National Institutes of Health grants, and she has had several commercial contracts. She is co-director of the Immunodermatology Laboratory.
- Plager DA, Davis MDP, Andrews AG, Goenen JM, George TJ, Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM. Eosinophil Ribonucleases and Their Cutaneous Lesion-Forming Activity. J Immunol, (in press).
- Plager DA, Weiss EA, Kephart GM, Mocharla RM, Matsumoto R, Checkel JL, Schwartz LB, Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM. Identification of Basophils by a Monoclonal Antibody Directed Against Pro-Major Basic Protein-1. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2006, 117:626-634.
- Leiferman KM, Gleich GJ. Hypereosinophilic syndrome: case presentation and update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;113:50-58
- Davis MDP, Plager DA, George TG, Weiss EA, Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM. Interactions of eosinophil granule proteins with skin: limits of detection, persistence and vasopermeabilization. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;112: 955-994
- Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM, Pardanani A, Tefferi A, Butterfield JH. Treatment of hypereosinophilic syndrome with imatinib mesylate. Lancet 2002;359:1577-1578
- Cheng JF, Ott NL, Peterson EA, George TJ, Hukee M, Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM. Dermal eosinophils in atopic dermatitis undergo cytolytic degeneration. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;99:683-692
- Borrego L, Maynard B, Peterson EA, George T, Iglesias L, Peters MS, Newman W, Gleich GJ, Leiferman KM. Deposition of eosinophil granule proteins precedes blister formation in bullous pemphigoid: Comparison with neutrophil and mast cell granule proteins. Am J Pathol 1996;148:897-909
- Leiferman KM, Fujisawa T, Holmes-Gray B, Gleich GJ. Extracellular deposition of eosinophil and neutrophil granule proteins in the IgE-Mediated cutaneous late phase reaction. Lab Invest 1990;62:579-589
- Leiferman KM, Ackerman SJ, Sampson HA, Haugen HS, Venencie PY, Gleich GJ. Dermal deposition of eosinophil granule major basic protein in atopic dermatitis: Comparison with onchocerciasis. N Engl J Med 1985;313:282-285
- Leiferman KM, Peters MS. Eosinophils in Cutaneous Diseases. IN: Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 7th Edition, Wolff K, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest B, Paller AS, Leffel DJ, eds, Chap 35. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, New York, in press.
- Stetson CL, Leiferman KM. Eosinophilic Dermatoses. IN: Dermatology, 2nd Edition, Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Rapini RP, Horn TD, Mancini AJ, Mascaro JM, Salasche SJ, Saurat J-H, Stingl G, eds, Chap 27. Mosby, in press.
- McKenna JK, Leiferman KM. Dermatologic Frug Reactions. IN: Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America, Drug Hypersensitivity, Volcheck GW, Hagan JB, Li JTC, eds, Elsevier Sanuders, 24:399-423, 2004.
- Plager DA, Leiferman KM, Pittelkow MR. Structural and Functional Cutaneous Immunology. IN: Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice, 6th edition, Chapter 41, pp 671-686. 2003.
- Alonso-Llamazares J, Peters MS, Leiferman KM. Bullous Pemphigoid. IN: Atlas of Bullous Disease. Jordon RE, ed. Chapter 4, pp 43-62. Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, 2000.
Dr. Kristin Leiferman's Complete CV