Mia Hashibe, PhD
Mia Hashibe, PhD, is an assistant professor in the Division of Public Health and a Huntsman Cancer Institute investigator. She holds an adjunct professor position in the Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at UCLA and her MPH and PhD in Epidemiology degrees from the UCLA School of Public Health. She teaches epidemiologic methods and cancer epidemiology.
Her research interests are on the molecular, global and cancer epidemiology of head and neck cancer, testicular cancer and gynecologic cancers. Before joining the University of Utah, Dr. Hashibe was a scientist at the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France. She is the co-coordinator of the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) Consortium (http://inhance.iarc.fr/). Her studies include a multicenter head and neck cancer case-control study in China (http://www.interchange.utah.edu/), a lung cancer case-control study in Nepal, head and neck cancer risk prediction modeling (NCI R21), epidemiology of testicular cancer in Utah (NCI R03) and an ovarian cancer survivors study in Utah.
Address: 375 Chipeta Way, Suite A, SLC, UT 84108
Send me an email
- Hashibe M, Sturgis EM. Epidemiology of oral-cavity and oropharyngeal carcinomas: controlling a tobacco epidemic while a human papillomavirus epidemic emerges. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2013 Aug;46(4):507-20.Epub 2013 Jun 25. PubMed PMID: 23910467.
- Hashibe M, Hunt J, Wei M, Buys S, Gren L, Lee YC. Tobacco, alcohol, body mass index, physical activity, and the risk of head and neck cancer in the prostate,lung, colorectal, and ovarian (PLCO) cohort. Head Neck. 2013 Jul;35(7):914-22.
- Hashibe M, Hunt J, Wei M, Buys S, Gren L, Lee YC. Tobacco, alcohol, body mass index, physical activity, and the risk of head and neck cancer in the prostate,lung, colorectal, and ovarian (PLCO) cohort. Head Neck. 2012 Jun 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hashibe M, Siwakoti B, Wei M, Thakur BK, Pun CB, Shrestha BM, Burningham Z,Lee YC, Sapkota A. Socioeconomic status and lung cancer risk in Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12(4):1083-8. PubMed PMID: 21790256.
- Tavtigian SV, Hashibe M, Thomas A. Tests of association for rare variants: case control mutation screening. Nat Rev Genet. 2011 Mar;12(3):224.
- Galeone C, Tavani A, Pelucchi C, Turati F, Winn DM, Levi F, Yu GP, Morgenstern H, Kelsey K, Dal Maso L, Purdue MP, McClean M, Talamini R, Hayes RB, Franceschi S, Schantz S, Zhang ZF, Ferro G, Chuang SC, Boffetta P, La Vecchia C, Hashibe M. Coffee and tea intake and risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the international head and neck cancer epidemiology consortium. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Jul;19(7):1723-36.
- Hashibe M, Brennan P, Chuang SC, Boccia S, Castellsague X, Chen C, Curado MP, Dal Maso L, Daudt AW, Fabianova E, Fernandez L, Wünsch-Filho V, Franceschi S, Hayes RB, Herrero R, Kelsey K, Koifman S, La Vecchia C, Lazarus P, Levi F, Lence JJ, Mates D, Matos E, Menezes A, McClean MD, Muscat J, Eluf-Neto J, Olshan AF, Purdue M, Rudnai P, Schwartz SM, Smith E, Sturgis EM, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Talamini R, Wei Q, Winn DM, Shangina O, Pilarska A, Zhang ZF, Ferro G, Berthiller J, Boffetta P. Interaction between Tobacco and Alcohol Use and the Risk of Head and Neck Cancer: Pooled Analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Consortium. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Feb;18(2):541-50.
- Hashibe M, McKay J D, Curado M P, Oliveira J C, Koifman S, Koifman R, Zaridze D, Shangina O, Wunsch-Filho V, Eluf-Neto J, Levi J E, Matos E, Lagiou P, Lagiou A, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Menezes A, Dall'Agnol M M, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Fernandez L, Lence J, Talamini R, Barzan L, Mates D, Mates I N, Kjaerheim K, Macfarlane G J, Macfarlane T V, Simonato L, Canova C, Holcatova I, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Lowry R, Janout V, Kollarova H, Conway D I, McKinney P A, Znaor A, Fabianova E, Bencko V, Lissowska J, Chabrier A, Hung R J, Gaborieau V, Boffetta P, Brennan P. Multiple ADH genes are associated with upper aerodigestive cancers. Nat Genet 2008; Jun;40(6):707-9.
- Hashibe M, Brennan P, Benhamou S, Castellsague X, Chen C, Curado MP, Dal Maso L, Daudt AW, Fabianova E, Wünsch-Filho V, Fernandez L, Franceschi S, Hayes R, Herrero R, Koifman S, La Vecchia C, Lazarus P, Levi F, Mates D, Matos E, Menezes A, Muscat J, Eluf-Neto J, Olshan A, Rudnai P, Schwartz SM, Smith E, Sturgis EM, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Talamini R, Wei QY, Winn DM, Zaridze D, Zatonski W, Zhang ZF, Berthiller J, Boffetta P. Alcohol drinking in never users of tobacco and cigarette smoking in never drinkers, and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) consortium. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2007 May; 99(10):777-789.