Susan L. Beck, APRN, PhD, FAAN
- Computer Technology
- Cancer Survivors
- Oncology Nursing
- Quality of Health Care
- Cancer Symptom Management
- Rural Health
- Cancer Pain
- Symptom management
- Organizational development
- Departments: Nursing - Professor
- Divisions: Acute and Chronic Care
- Cancer Center Programs: Cancer Control & Population Sciences
Academic Office Information
College of Nursing
10 South 2000 East, Room: 505
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Susan Larsen Beck, PhD, APRN, FAAN, AOCN, is a professor at the University of Utah College of Nursing where she teaches in the doctoral program. She is an investigator of the Huntsman Cancer Institute and a member of the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program. Dr. Beck's research interests include the management of symptoms in cancer patients and organizational interventions to improve the quality and outcomes of care.Dr. Beck’s research focuses on improving patient outcomes including the symptom experience and quality of life in individuals with cancer. She is testing technology-enhanced interventions to improve patient outcomes. She is currently a Principal Investigator of a multi-site clinical trial of a nursing intervention to mitigate cancer treatment-related symptoms in older men with prostate cancer. She also leads a research team measuring and improving the quality of nursing and interdisciplinary care related to pain management in individuals with cancer or receiving surgery for a potential cancer.Dr. Beck earned a master’s degree at the University of Pittsburgh and a PhD from the University of Utah. Dr. Beck has over 30 years of experience as an advanced practice oncology nurse and holds national certification as an Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN).
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah College of Nursing
|Graduate Training||University of Pittsburgh
|University of Pretoria||Visiting Professor||South Africa|
- Mooney KH, Beck SL, Friedman RH, Farzanfar R, Wong B (2014). Automated monitoring of symptoms during ambulatory chemotherapy and oncology providers' use of the information: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Support Care Cancer, 22(9), 2343-50.
- Pett MA, Beck SL, Guo JW, Towsley GL, Brant JM, Lavoie Smith EM, Berry PH, Donaldson GW (2013). Confirmatory factor analysis of the pain care quality surveys (PainCQ(c)). Health Serv Res, 48(3), 1018-38.
- Beck SL, Weiss ME, Ryan-Wenger N, Donaldson NE, Aydin C, Towsley GL, Gardner W (2013). Measuring nurses' impact on health care quality: progress, challenges, and future directions. Med Care, 51(4 Suppl 2), S15-22.
- Tavernier SS, Beck SL, Dudley WN (2013). Diffusion of a Distress Management Guideline into practice. Psychooncology, 22(10), 2332-8.
- Towsley GL, Beck SL, Pepper GA (2013). Predictors of quality in rural nursing homes using standard and novel methods. Res Gerontol Nurs, 6(2), 116-26.
- Bellury L, Ellington L, Beck SL, Pett MA, Clark J, Stein K (2013). Older breast cancer survivors: can interaction analyses identify vulnerable subgroups? A report from the American Cancer Society Studies of Cancer Survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 40(4), 325-36.
- Edelman LS, Guo JW, Fraser A, Beck SL (2013). Linking clinical research data to population databases. Nurs Res, 62(6), 438-44.
- Kim HJ, Barsevick AM, Beck SL, Dudley W (2012). Clinical subgroups of a psychoneurologic symptom cluster in women receiving treatment for breast cancer: a secondary analysis. Oncol Nurs Forum, 39(1), E20-30.
- Bellury L, Pett MA, Ellington L, Beck SL, Clark JC, Stein KD (2012). The effect of aging and cancer on the symptom experience and physical function of elderly breast cancer survivors. Cancer, 118(24), 6171-8.
- Brant JM, Beck SL, Dudley WN, Cobb P, Pepper G, Miaskowski C (2011). Symptom trajectories during chemotherapy in outpatients with lung cancer colorectal cancer, or lymphoma. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 15(5), 470-7.
- Tavernier SS, Totten AM, Beck SL (2011). Assessing content validity of the patient generated index using cognitive interviews. Qual Health Res, 21(12), 1729-38.