DeVon C. Hale, MD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor (Clinical) Emeritus
- Divisions: Infectious Diseases
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Infectious Disease)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Medical Microbiology
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E, Room: 4B319
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
DeVon C Hale, MD is Assistant Dean for Idaho Affairs and International Medical Education at the University of Utah School of Medicine. As an infectious disease physician, his research interests include tropical infectious diseases, travel medicine and global health issues. Dr. Hale’s recent publications involve diseases in returning travelers and optimal pre-travel preparation for travelers. He also studies the prevalence of parasitic diseases in tropical countries. Hale received his MD from the University of Utah. He received training in medicine and infectious diseases from the Ohio State University, University of California, Irvine and the University of Utah. In the past, Hale served as Director of the Tropical Disease and Travel Medicine Clinic at the University and is a consultant to six travel medicine clinics in Utah. He is currently a member of the International Society of Travel Medicine and the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. He is co-director of the Utah site for the GeoSentinel surveillance program funded by the CDC. He is the Assistant Dean of International Medical Education and has helped establish educational programs for the University of Utah Global Health Initiative.
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Fellowship||University of California - Irvine
|Residency||Kern County Medical Center
|Residency||Ohio State University
|Professional Medical||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
- Regina C LaRocque, Sowmya R Rao, Jennifer Lee, Vernon Ansdell, Johnnie A Yates, Brian S Schwartz, Mark Knouse, John Cahill, Stefan Hagmann, Joseph Vinetz, Bradley A Connor, Jeffery A Goad, Alawode Oladele, Salvador Alvarez, William Stauffer, Patricia Walker, Phyllis Kozarsky, Carlos Franco-Paredes, Roberta Dismukes, Jessica Rosen, Noreen A Hynes, Frederique Jacquerioz, Susan McLellan, DeVon Hale, Theresa Sofarelli, David Schoenfeld, Nina Marano, Gary Brunette, Emily S Jentes, Emad Yanni, Mark J Sotir, Edward T Ryan, and the Global TravEpiNet Consortium (07/23/2012). Global TravEpiNet: A National Consortium of Clinics Providing Care to International Travelers—Analysis of Demographic Characteristics, Travel Destinations, and Pretravel Healthcare of High-Risk US International Travelers, 2009–2011. Clin Infect Dis, 54(4), 455-462.
- Anand R, Jones CW, Ricks JH, Sofarelli TA, Hale DC (2012). Acute primary toxoplasmosis in travelers returning from endemic countries. J Travel Med, 19(1), 57-60.
- Chen BR, Hale DC, Ciolek PJ, Runge KW (2012). Generation and analysis of a barcode-tagged insertion mutant library in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. BMC Genomics, 13(1), 161.
- Tuteja AK, Fang JC, Al-Suqi M, Stoddard GJ, Hale DC (2012). Double-blind placebo-controlled study of mesalamine in post-infective irritable bowel syndrome--a pilot study. Scand J Gastroenterol, 47(10), 1159-64.
- Sofarelli TA, Ricks JH, Anand R, Hale DC (2011). Standardized training in nurse model travel clinics. J Travel Med, 18(1), 39-43.
- Flores-Figueroa J, Okhuysen PC, von Sonnenburg F, DuPont HL, Libman MD, Keystone JS, Hale DC, Burchard G, Han PV, Wilder-Smith A, Freedman DO (2011). Patterns of illness in travelers visiting Mexico and Central America: the GeoSentinel experience. Clin Infect Dis, 53(6), 523-31.
- Crookston BT, Alder SC, Boakye I, Merrill RM, Amuasi JH, Porucznik CA, Stanford JB, Dickerson TT, Dearden KA, Hale DC, Sylverken J, Snow BS, Osei-Akoto A, Ansong D (2010). Exploring the relationship between chronic undernutrition and asymptomatic malaria in Ghanaian children. Malar J, 9, 39.
- Mendelson M, Davis XM, Jensenius M, Keystone JS, von Sonnenburg F, Hale DC, Burchard GD, Field V, Vincent P, Freedman DO (2010). Health risks in travelers to South Africa: the GeoSentinel experience and implications for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 82(6), 991-5.
- Tuteja AK, Talley NJ, Gelman SS, Alder SC, Thompson C, Tolman K, Hale DC (2008). Development of functional diarrhea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and dyspepsia during and after traveling outside the USA. Dig Dis Sci, 53(1), 271-6.
- Hale DC, Blumberg L, Frean J (2003). Ghanthostomiasis in Two Travelers to Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 68(6), 707-9.