Hilary Coon, PhD
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Statistical Genetics
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Child Psychiatry
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Nicotine Dependence
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Professor, Internal Medicine - Adjunct Professor, Psychiatry - Research Professor
- Divisions: Adult Psychiatry, Genetic Epidemiology
Academic Office Information
Utah Autism Research Project
650 Komas Drive, Room: 206
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Hilary Coon's primary research interests within the Department of Psychiatry include finding genes that lead to susceptibility to autism and, genetic risk factors for suicide, and the genetics of nicotine and alcohol addiction. Work to achieve these goals is accomplished through collaborations with national, and international collaborators, and locally through analyses of extended families ascertained through the Utah Population Data Base (UPDB). Gene findings may lead to better understanding of underlying mechanisms. Intermediate traits and co-morbid conditions associated with disease have also been a focus of Dr. Coon's research. Traits that are correlated with disease are often observed at increased rates also in clinically unaffected family members. These traits may indicate the presence of relatively common gene changes that, together with other genetic and environmental factors, contribute to increased risk of carrying a diagnosis. In addition, appearance of particular traits or co-morbid conditions in affected pedigree members and their clinically unaffected relatives may indicate particular genetic subtypes of disease present in the family. The study of these phenotypes within families may reveal susceptibility mutations that would otherwise not be detected. Pedigrees also offer a chance to study protective mechanisms in unaffected relatives, and environmental exposures that may be particularly important for genetically susceptible individuals. Interests outside the Psychiatry Department include the development and application of statistical methods to genetic and phenotypic data, cardiovascular genetics, genetics of obesity, and genetics of lung disorders. Dr. Coon is also interested in research ethics, and is a long time member of the University of Utah Institutional Review Board.
|Doctoral Training||University of Colorado
|Fellowship||University of Colorado, Institute for Behavioral Genetics, Colorado Adoption Project
|Graduate Training||University of Colorado
|Undergraduate||University of Colorado
|Undergraduate||University of Colorado
- Weiner DJ, Wigdor EM, Ripke S, Walters RK, Kosmicki JA, Grove J, Samocha KE, Goldstein JI, Okbay A, Bybjerg-Grauholm J, Werge T, Hougaard DM, Taylor J, iPSYCH-Broad Autism Group, Psychiatric Genomics Consortium Autism Group, Skuse D, Devlin B, Anney R, Sanders SJ, Bishop S, Mortensen PB, Brglum AD, Smith GD, Daly MJ, Robinson EB (May 15, 2017). Polygenic transmission disequilibrium confirms that common and rare variation act additively to create risk for autism spectrum disorders. Nat Genet, May 15(10:1038).
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Working Group of The Psychiatric Genomics Consortium (May 22, 2017). Meta-analysis of GWAS of over 16,000 individuals with autism spectrum disorder highlights a novel locus at 10q24.32 and a significant overlap with schizophrenia. Mol Autism, 8(21).
- Woodbury-Smith M, Bilder DA, Morgan J, Jerominski L, Darlington T, Dyer T, Paterson AD, Coon H (2017). Combined genome-wide linkage and targeted association analysis of head circumference in autism spectrum disorder families. J Neurodev Disord, 9, 5.
- Figueroa KP, Coon H, Santos N, Velazquez L, Mederos LA, Pulst SM (2017). Genetic analysis of age at onset variation in spinocerebellar ataxia type 2. Neurol Genet, 3(3), e155.
- Christensen ED, Berger J, Alashari MM, Coon H, Robison C, Ho HT, Adams DR, Gahl WA, Smith KR, Opitz JM, Johnson DR (2017). Sudden infant death "syndrome"-Insights and future directions from a Utah population database analysis. Am J Med Genet A, 173(1), 177-182.
- Hasstedt SJ, Coon H, Xin Y, Adams TD, Hunt SC (2016). APOH interacts with FTO to predispose to healthy thinness. Hum Genet, 135(2), 201-7.
- Hollingshaus MS, Coon H, Crowell SE, Gray DD, Hanson HA, Pimentel R, Smith KR (2016). Differential Vulnerability to Early-Life Parental Death: The Moderating Effects of Family Suicide History on Risks for Major Depression and Substance Abuse in Later Life. Biodemography Soc Biol, 62(1), 105-25.
- McGlade E, Bakian A, Coon H, Yurgelun-Todd D, Callor WB, Byrd J, Gray D (2016). Male suspected suicide decedents in Utah: A comparison of Veterans and nonveterans. Compr Psychiatry, 69, 1-10.
- Hu H, Coon H, Li M, Yandell M, Huff CD (2016). VARPRISM: incorporating variant prioritization in tests of de novo mutation association. Genome Med, 8(1), 91.
- Cannon DS, Medina TR, Mermelstein RJ, Hedeker D, Bakian AV, Coon H, Cook EH, Hamil C, Weiss RB (2016). CYP2A6 Longitudinal Effects in Young Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 18(2), 196-203.
- Jones KB, Cottle K, Bakian A, Farley M, Bilder D, Coon H, McMahon WM (2016). A description of medical conditions in adults with autism spectrum disorder: A follow-up of the 1980s Utah/UCLA Autism Epidemiologic Study. Autism, 20(5), 551-61.
- Schwantes-An TH, Zhang J, Chen LS, Hartz SM, Culverhouse RC, Chen X, Coon H, Frank J, Kamens HM, Konte B, Kovanen L, Latvala A, Legrand LN, Maher BS, Melroy WE, Nelson EC, Reid MW, Robinson JD, Shen PH, Yang BZ, Andrews JA, Aveyard P, Beltcheva O, Brown SA, Cannon DS, Cichon S, Corley RP, Dahmen N, Degenhardt L, Foroud T, Gaebel W, Giegling I, Glatt SJ, Grucza RA, Hardin J, Hartmann AM, Heath AC, Herms S, Hodgkinson CA, Hoffmann P, Hops H, Huizinga D, Ising M, Johnson EO, Johnstone E, Kaneva RP, Kendler KS, Kiefer F, Kranzler HR, Krauter KS, Levran O, Lucae S, Lynskey MT, Maier W, Mann K, Martin NG, Mattheisen M, Montgomery GW, Muller-Myhsok B, Murphy MF, Neale MC, Nikolov MA, Nishita D, Nothen MM, Nurnberger J, Partonen T, Pergadia ML, Reynolds M, Ridinger M, Rose RJ, Rouvinen-Lagerstrom N, Scherbaum N, Schmal C, Soyka M, Stallings MC, Steffens M, Treutlein J, Tsuang M, Wall TL, Wodarz N, Yuferov V, Zill P, Bergen AW, Chen J, Cinciripini PM, Edenberg HJ, Ehringer MA, Ferrell RE, Gelernter J, Goldman D, Hewitt JK, Hopfer CJ, Iacono WG, Kaprio J, Kreek MJ, Kremensky IM, Madden PA, McGue M, Munafo MR, Philibert RA, Rietschel M, Roy A, Rujescu D, Saarikoski ST, Swan GE, Todorov AA, Vanyukov MM, Weiss RB, Bierut LJ, Saccone NL (2016). Association of the OPRM1 Variant rs1799971 (A118G) with Non-Specific Liability to Substance Dependence in a Collaborative de novo Meta-Analysis of European-Ancestry Cohorts. Behav Genet, 46(2), 151-69.