D. Walter Wray, PhD, MSc
- Oxidative Stress and Disease
- Exercise and Aging
- Receptors, Adrenergic, alpha
- Nitric Oxide
- Angiotensin II
- Autonomic Nervous System
- Sympathetic Nervous System
- Peripheral sympathetic nerve recording
- Regional Blood Flow
- Ultrasonography, Doppler
- Departments: Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine - Associate Professor, Nutrition - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
Academic Office Information
VA - Building #2
500 S Foothill Dr, Room: 1D21
Salt Lake City, UT 84148
Dr. Wray joined the Division of Geriatrics at the University of Utah as a Research Assistant Professor in 2008. He is a founding member of the Utah Vascular Research Laboratory (http://www.uvrl.org), a consortium that is affiliated with the University of Utah (Departments of Internal Medicine and Nutrition and Integrative Physiology) and the Salt Lake City Veterans Administration Medical Center Geriatrics, Research, Education and Clinical Center (SLC VAMC GRECC).
Dr. Wray maintains an active, extramurally-funded research program within the UVRL that is broadly focused on vascular and autonomic physiology, with an emphasis on aging and age-related diseases such as heart failure (HF). Current projects include studies examining neurohumoral control of muscle blood flow at rest and during acute exercise, and studies focused on determining the causes and consequences of chronic sympathoexcitation in HF.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of California San Diego
|Doctoral Training||University of North Texas Health Science Center
|Graduate Training||University of North Texas Health Science Center
|Undergraduate||Abilene Christian University
|Copenhagen Muscle Research Center||Research Associate||Denmark|
|Copenhagen Muscle Research Center||Guest Research Associate||Denmark|
|Institut de Myologie||Guest Research Associate||United Kingdom|
- Wray W (2017). "Sustainable shear: a new approach for assessment of lower limb vascular function?"LID - 10.1113/EP086292 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Exp Physiol.
- Nishiyama SK, Zhao J, Wray DW, Richardson RS (2016). Vascular function and Endothelin-1: Tipping the Balance between Vasodilation and Vasoconstriction. J Appl Physiol (1985), jap.00772.2016.
- Trinity JD, Wray DW, Witman MA, Layec G, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Ives SJ, Conklin JD, Reese V, Zhao J, Richardson RS (2016). Ascorbic acid improves brachial artery vasodilation during progressive handgrip exercise in the elderly through a nitric oxide-mediated mechanism. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 310(6), H765-74.
- Lee JF, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Nelson AD, Garten RS, Ryan JJ, Nativi-Nicolau JN, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2016). Impaired skeletal muscle vasodilation during exercise in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Int J Cardiol, 211, 14-21.
- Trinity JD, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Ives SJ, Morgan G, Rossman MJ, Donato AJ, Runnels S, Morgan DE, Gmelch BS, Bledsoe AD, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2016). Endogenous endothelin-1 and femoral artery shear rate: impact of age and implications for atherosclerosis. J Hypertens, 34(2), 266-273.
- Gifford JR, Garten RS, Nelson AD, Trinity JD, Layec G, Witman MA, Weavil JC, Mangum T, Hart C, Etheredge C, Jessop J, Bledsoe A, Morgan DE, Wray DW, Rossman MJ, Richardson RS (2016). Symmorphosis and skeletal muscle VO2 max : in vivo and in vitro measures reveal differing constraints in the exercise-trained and untrained human. J Physiol, 594(6), 1741-1751.
- Ives SJ, Amann M, Venturelli M, Witman MA, Groot HJ, Wray DW, Morgan DE, Stehlik J, Richardson RS (2016). The Mechanoreflex and Hemodynamic Response to Passive Leg Movement in Heart Failure. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 48(3), 368-376.
- Lee JF, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Garten RS, Nelson AD, Ryan JJ, Nativi JN, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2015). Evidence of microvascular dysfunction in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.LID - heartjnl-2015-308403 [pii]LID - 10.1136/heartjnl-2015-308403 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Heart.
- Rossman MJ, Trinity JD, Garten RS, Ives SJ, Conklin JD, Barret-OKeefe Z, Witman MA, Bledsoe AD, Morgan DE, Runnels S, Reese VR, Zhao J, Amann M, Wray DW, Richardson RS (2015). Oral Antioxidants Improve Leg Blood Flow During Exercise in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, ajpheart.00184.2015.
- Richardson RS, Wary C, Wray DW, Hoff J, Rossiter HB, Layec G, Carlier PG (2015). MRS Evidence of Adequate O2 Supply in Human Skeletal Muscle at the Onset of Exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 47(11), 2299-2307.
- Frech T, Walker AE, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Hopkins PN, Richardson RS, Wray DW, Donato AJ (2015). Systemic sclerosis induces pronounced peripheral vascular dysfunction characterized by blunted peripheral vasoreactivity and endothelial dysfunction. Clin Rheumatol, 34(5), 905-13.
- Barrett-OKeefe Z, Ives SJ, Trinity JD, Morgan G, Rossman MJ, Donato AJ, Runnels S, Morgan DE, Gmelch BS, Bledsoe AD, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2015). Endothelin-A-mediated vasoconstriction during exercise with advancing age. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 70(5), 554-65.
- Barrett-OKeefe Z, Lee JF, Berbert A, Witman MA, Nativi-Nicolau J, Stehlik J, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2014). Hemodynamic responses to small muscle mass exercise in heart failure patients with reduced ejection fraction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 307(10), H1512-20.
- Amann M, Venturelli M, Ives SJ, Morgan DE, Gmelch B, Witman MA, Jonathan Groot H, Wray WD, Stehlik J, Richardson RS (2014). Group III/IV muscle afferents impair limb blood in patients with chronic heart failure. Int J Cardiol, 174(2), 368-75.
- Ives SJ, Harris RA, Witman MA, Fjeldstad AS, Garten RS, McDaniel J, Wray DW, Richardson RS (2014). Vascular dysfunction and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the role of redox balance. Hypertension, 63(3), 459-67.
- Ives SJ, Fadel PJ, Brothers RM, Sander M, Wray DW (2014). Exploring the vascular smooth muscle receptor landscape in vivo: ultrasound Doppler versus near-infrared spectroscopy assessments. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 306(5), H771-6.
- Machin, D, H Clifton, R Richardson, D Wray, A Donato, and T Frech (In Press). Acute Oral Tetrahydrobiopterin Administration Ameliorates Endothelial Dysfunction in Systemic Sclerosis. Clin Exp Rheumatol.
- Wray DW, Amann M, Richardson RS (2016). Peripheral vascular function, oxygen delivery and utilization: the impact of oxidative stress in aging and heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. [Review]. Heart Fail Rev.
- Wray DW, Richardson RS (2015). 'Fine-tuning' blood flow to the exercising muscle with advancing age: an update. [Review]. Exp Physiol, 100(6), 589-602.