Anthony J. Donato, PhD, MS
- Departments: Biochemistry - Adjunct Associate Professor, Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine - Associate Professor, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
Academic Office Information
VA - Building #2
VA Salt Lake City GRECC
500 S Foothill Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84148
My primary research focus is vascular aging, in particular the cellular, molecular and tissue specific events that induce reductions in muscle blood flow during exercise, impair arterial endothelial function and stiffen large elastic arteries in older rodents/adults. These vascular phenotypes contribute to the age related decline in functional capacity and the development of cardiovascular disease, and can be ameliorated by lifestyle interventions such as habitual exercise and caloric restriction. My secondary focus, is to elucidate the cellular pathways which confer the vaso-protective effects of these lifestyle interventions and try to activate these pathways pharmacologically to see if this will confer some of the same benefits. I have used human, rodent, and cell models to address these questions and utilized a wide range of contemporary translational experimental techniques from microRNA gene expression to ultrasonography to investigate the aforementioned interests.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Colorado, Department of Integrative Physiology
Integrative Physiology of Aging Laboratory, Dr. Doug Seals
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of California at San Diego, Department of Medicine, Dr. Russell Richardson
|Doctoral Training||Texas A&M University
|Graduate Training||University of Colorado, Boulder
Kinesiology and Applied Physiology
|Undergraduate||University of Colorado, Boulder
|"Telomere uncapping causes cellular senescence and inflammation in arteries: implications for arterial aging and hypertension” First International Medical Science Summit of the Tongji Hospital Wuhan, China||China|
- Walker AE, Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes D, Lesniewski LA, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2016). Age-related arterial telomere uncapping and senescence is greater in women compared with men. Exp Gerontol, 73, 65-71.
- Beyer AM, Freed JK, Durand MJ, Riedel M, Ait-Aissa K, Green P, Hockenberry JC, Morgan RG, Donato AJ, Peleg R, Gasparri M, Rokkas CK, Santos JH, Priel E, Gutterman DD (2016). Critical Role for Telomerase in the Mechanism of Flow-Mediated Dilation in the Human Microcirculation. Circ Res, 118(5), 856-66.
- Gibson CC, Zhu W, Davis CT, Bowman-Kirigin JA, Chan AC, Ling J, Walker AE, Goitre L, Delle Monache S, Retta SF, Shiu YT, Grossmann AH, Thomas KR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Whitehead KJ, Li DY (2015). Strategy for identifying repurposed drugs for the treatment of cerebral cavernous malformation. Circulation, 131(3), 289-99.
- Frech T, Walker AE, Barrett-OKeefe Z, Hopkins PN, Richardson RS, Wray DW, Donato AJ (2015). Systemic sclerosis induces pronounced peripheral vascular dysfunction characterized by blunted peripheral vasoreactivity and endothelial dysfunction. Clin Rheumatol, 34(5), 905-13.
- Walker AE, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Morgan RG, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Ling J, Mecham RP, Li DY, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2015). Greater impairments in cerebral artery compared with skeletal muscle feed artery endothelial function in a mouse model of increased large artery stiffness. J Physiol, 593(8), 1931-43.
- Donato AJ, Henson GD, Hart CR, Layec G, Trinity JD, Bramwell RC, Enz RA, Morgan RG, Reihl KD, Hazra S, Walker AE, Richardson RS, Lesniewski LA (2014). The impact of ageing on adipose structure, function and vasculature in the B6D2F1 mouse: evidence of significant multisystem dysfunction. J Physiol, 592(Pt 18), 4083-96.
- Gano LB, Donato AJ, Pasha HM, Hearon CM Jr, Sindler AL, Seals DR (2014). The SIRT1 activator SRT1720 reverses vascular endothelial dysfunction, excessive superoxide production, and inflammation with aging in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 307(12), H1754-63.
- Walker AE, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Nielson EI, Morgan RG, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2014). Beneficial effects of lifelong caloric restriction on endothelial function are greater in conduit arteries compared to cerebral resistance arteries. Age (Dordr), 36(2), 559-69.
- Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Lesniewski LA, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes RD, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2013). Age-related telomere uncapping is associated with cellular senescence and inflammation independent of telomere shortening in human arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 305(2), H251-8.
- Donato AJ, Walker AE, Magerko KA, Bramwell RC, Black AD, Henson GD, Lawson BR, Lesniewski LA, Seals DR (2013). Life-long caloric restriction reduces oxidative stress and preserves nitric oxide bioavailability and function in arteries of old mice. Aging Cell, 12(5), 772-83.
- Donato AJ, Henson GD, Morgan RG, Enz RA, Walker AE, Lesniewski LA (2012). TNF-alpha impairs endothelial function in adipose tissue resistance arteries of mice with diet-induced obesity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 303(6), H672-9.
- Lesniewski LA, Zigler MC, Durrant JR, Donato AJ, Seals DR (2012). Sustained activation of AMPK ameliorates age-associated vascular endothelial dysfunction via a nitric oxide-independent mechanism. Mech Ageing Dev, 133(5), 368-71.