Gang Luo, PhD
- Health Informatics
- Information Storage and Retrieval
- Natural Language Processing
- Data Mining
- Decision Support Techniques
- Knowledge Management
- Machine Learning Artificial Intelligence
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
Biomedical Informatics (Suite 140)
421 Wakara Way, Room: 2004 of Suite 208
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Gang Luo earned his PhD degree in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Luo is an assistant professor in the University of Utah’s Department of Biomedical Informatics. Dr. Luo's research interests include health/clinical informatics (software system design/development and data analytics), big data, information retrieval, database systems, machine learning, data mining, and natural language processing with a focus on health applications. He has more than 50 publications and over two dozen patents in these areas. He invented the questionnaire-guided intelligent medical search engine iMed, intelligent personal health record, and SQL and compiler progress indicators. He has also worked on brain-computer interface and EEG brain wave analysis.Following his PhD study, Dr. Luo worked as a research staff member at the IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY (2004-2012). He joined the Department of Biomedical Informatics in August 2012 as an assistant professor.More information about Dr. Luo is available at: http://home.chpc.utah.edu/~gangluo/“As a computer scientist by training, as well as a self-educated mathematician, I choose to work on health informatics because of the large number of real problems in this area. I enjoy interacting with people from various areas and am interested in combining advanced computing techniques, mathematical theory, and healthcare knowledge. I believe this combination will lead to major advances in health informatics that will help improve people’s daily living.” Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4MEAIU4AAAAJ
|Doctoral Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison
Computer Science Minor in Mathematics
|Undergraduate||Shanghai Jiaotong University
|Undergraduate||Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Luo G, Stone BL, Johnson MD, Nkoy FL (2016). Predicting Appropriate Admission of Bronchiolitis Patients in the Emergency Department: Rationale and Methods. JMIR Res Protoc, 5(1), e41.
- Luo G (2016). Automatically explaining machine learning prediction results: a demonstration on type 2 diabetes risk prediction. Health Inf Sci Syst, 4, 2.
- Luo G, Frey LJ (2016). Efficient Execution Methods of Pivoting for Bulk Extraction of Entity-Attribute-Value-Modeled Data. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform, 20(2), 644-654.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Sakaguchi F, Sheng X, Murtaugh MA (2015). Using Computational Approaches to Improve Risk-Stratified Patient Management: Rationale and Methods. JMIR Res Protoc, 4(4), e128.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Fassl B, Maloney CG, Gesteland PH, Yerram SR, Nkoy FL (2015). Predicting asthma control deterioration in children. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 15(1), 84.
- Luo G (2015). MLBCD: a machine learning tool for big clinical data. Health Information Science and Systems, 3, 3.
- Luo G (2014). A roadmap for designing a personalized search tool for individual healthcare providers. J Med Syst, 38(2), 6.
- Luo G (2013). Open issues in intelligent personal health record - an updated status report for 2012. J Med Syst, 37(3), 9943.
- Luo G, Thomas SB, Tang C (2012). Automatic home medical product recommendation. J Med Syst, 36(2), 383-98.
- Luo G, Min W (2012). Distance-constrained orthogonal Latin squares for brain-computer interface. J Med Syst, 36(1), 159-66.
- Luo G, Tang C, Thomas SB (2012). Intelligent personal health record: experience and open issues. J Med Syst, 36(4), 2111-28.
- Luo G (2012). Triggers and monitoring in intelligent personal health record. J Med Syst, 36(5), 2993-3009.
- Luo G, Tang C (2009). Automatic home nursing activity recommendation. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2009, 401-5.
- Luo G (2009). Design and Evaluation of the iMed Intelligent Medical Search Engine. Proceedings / International Conference on Data Engineering, 2009, 1379-1390.
- Luo G, Tang C, Yang H, Wei X (2008). MedSearch: A Specialized Search Engine for Medical Information Retrieval. Proceedings of the ... ACM International Conference on Information & Knowledge Management, 2008, 143-152.
- Luo G, Min W (2007). Subject-adaptive real-time sleep stage classification based on conditional random field. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 488-92.
- Luo G, Nkoy FL, Gesteland PH, Glasgow TS, Stone BL (2014). A systematic review of predictive modeling for bronchiolitis. [Review]. Int J Med Inform, 83(10), 691-714.
- Luo G, Tang C (2008). On Iterative Intelligent Medical Search. Proc ACM SIGIR, 2008, 3-10.
- Luo G, Tang C, Tian Y (2007). Answering Relationship Queries on the Web. Proc WWW, 2007, 561-570.