The attire of these students in a 1927 laboratory indicates that medical schooling then was rather formal.
The architecture model for the 1965 Medical Center was on display during 1962 cornerstone ceremonies. Dignitaries included Leland B. Flint, chair of the Medical Center Fund campaign, left; Clarence Bamberger, vice chair; Royden G. Derrick, U Board of Regents chair; L. David Hiner, Ph.D., dean of U College of Pharmacy, Harry Loynd, president, Parke, Davis, and Co.; U of U President A. Ray Olpin; and Utah Gov. George D. Clyde.
The first building on the U Health Sciences Center Campus, the Cancer Research Building, was completed in 1948. Among ground breaking participants were Elroy Nelson, Utah State Building Board chair, bending with shovel; and architect B.E. Brazier, second from right.
Three rooms in the building now called the LeRoy Cowles Building on Presidents' Circle were 'home' to the medical school from 1905, when the two year program started, to 1920. In the very early years, only a high school education was required for acceptance to medical school.
Three vertical Danish Linden cranes, designed especially for the construction of the 1965 medical center, could be seen from blocks away. The Cancer Research Building, built in 1948, is at the right in the background; the Rehabilitation Wing, finished in 1961, at left.
In 1920, this dormitory for cavalry officers to be trained at the U during World War I was remodeled into the medical school building.
Police-escorted county ambulances moved patients from the old Salt Lake County General Hospital to the new medical center.
University President David P. Gardner initiates ground-breaking ceremonies for the medical center expansion, November 18, 1977.
Then Vice President George A. Bush, Barbara Bush, and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, learned about medical applications of lasers from laser surgery pioneer John A. Dixon, M.D., when they visited the U Laser Institute February 21, 1986.
More than 800 kidney transplants have been performed by University physicians since the first operation on January 25, 1965, at Salt Lake County General Hospital
August L. Jung, M.D., left, was instrumental in establishing the medical center's newborn intensive care unit in 1968. Sen. Frank E. Moss, D-Utah, visited the site in 1971.
Patients were moved across glassed-in bridges connecting the original medical center with the new $43 million University Hospital on September 22, 1981.
Members of the U.S. Army National Guard and Air Guard helped move patients from Salt Lake County General Hospital to the new medical
The Salt Lake County General Hospital, five miles from campus, was the clinical arm of the medical school from 1942-1965. Old and poorly equipped, the facility was a sharp contrast to well-endowed hospitals that the new U faculty had left behind.
It was a bitterly cold, windy day on January 9, 1962, when Utah Gov. George D. Clyde; Elroy Nelson, chair of the State Building Board; and Royden G. Derrick, U Board of Regents chair; used an earth moving tractor to initiate excavation for the medical center.
The goal of having a unified medical school and teaching hospital was realized in 1965 with the opening of the seven-story, 500,000 square-foot U Medical Center.
University of Utah Hospital opened in September 1981, cost $43 million and was part of a $63 million expansion project, which added more than 420,000 square feet to the medical complex. A public fund drive for the expansion launched in 1975 raised $10 million in two years.
The world's first artifical kidney was developed by Willem J Kolff, M.D., Ph.D., distinguished professor of surgery and internal medicine. He continued work on the kidney after coming to Utah, and his work on the artificial heart led, in 1982, to the first permanent implantation in a human.
A special thanks to C. Hilmon Castle, M.D. for providing this information. Please contact Dr. Castle directly for corrections or additions. (801) 328-8644