Industrial occupational hygiene is the professional art and science involving the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of occupational and environmental health and safety concerns. The IH program at RMCOEH was established in 1977 as part of the University's original NIOSH education and research center grant. The program continues to operate within a world-class, interdisciplinary occupational health education and research environment.
The Industrial Hygiene option is accredited by the Applied Science Accreditation Commission (ASAC) of ABET.
MSOH courses include occupational epidemiology, biostatistics, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, toxicology, and administration and management. The curriculum also includes practical experiences in occupational health settings.
The MSOH degree can be completed in one and a half to two years and requires a research-based master's thesis or project. Full-time students may receive full or partial NIOSH financial support that can include tuition payment and provision of a stipend.
Program graduates achieve the following competencies, as defined by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. Graduates are able to:
- Manage and critically evaluate data.
- Recognize potential chemical, physical, and biological hazards.
- Assess risk posed by potential chemical, physical and biological hazards.
- Design, use, and evaluate various control options for chemical, physical, and biological hazards.
- Research and apply regulations and develop regulatory required programs.
- Effectively communicate to workers, peers, and management using verbal, visual, and written skills.
- Support occupational and environmental health programs within larger frameworks.
- Assume increasing independence in effectively managing OEHS programs.
- Implement computer skills, including word processing, professional presentations, spreadsheets, internet resources, and the like.
- Process knowledge and skills to successfully pass the ABIH-CIH exam.
|Course #||Course Title||Credit Hours||Semester Offered|
|FP MD 6100||Introduction to Biostatistics||3||Fall|
|FP MD 6370||Occupational Epidemiology||3||Fall|
|FP MD 6760||Administration and Management of Health and Safety Programs||3||Fall|
|FP MD 6750||Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene||2||Fall|
|FP MD 6751||Advanced Industrial Hygiene||3||Spring|
|FP MD 6752||Introduction to Industrial and Environmental Toxicology and Physiology||3||Spring|
|FP MD 6753||Industrial Ventilation||2||Spring|
|FP MD 6754||Noise and Other Physical Agents||2||Spring|
|FP MD 6761||Ergonomics||3||Spring|
|FP MD 6715||Occupational Health and Safety Solutions||3||Spring|
|FP MD 6980||Occ. Health Practicum||3||Fall, Spring, & Summer|
|FP MD 6910||Project Research – MSOH OR||6||Fall, Spring, & Summer|
|FP MD 6911||Thesis Research – MSOH||6||Fall, Spring, & Summer|
IH Emphasis Elective Courses
|FP MD 6756||Hazardous Substances||3||Fall|
|FP MD 6730||Quantitative Risk Assessment||3||Fall|
|ME EN 6110||Safety||3||Spring|
|MSOH-IH Total Credit Hours||42|