STARS TL1 Admissions & Tuition
The STARS TL1 Training Program welcomes applications from PhD and MD predoctoral and postdoctoral positions. The following are the minimum qualification to be considered eligible as Pre-Doc or Post-Doc:
Predoctoral: The program is open to graduate students pursuing a PhD degree who have completed their required core didactics and have also been approved for the research-phase of their PhD (often referred to as passing the qualifying exam) The exam name and the year of eligibility may vary by graduate program. Medical students may apply following completion of their second year of medical school.
Postdoctoral: The program is open to Postdoctoral trainees within 5 years of their doctoral degree. Clinical postdoctoral trainees are eligible following year 1 of their fellowship.
Requirements for STARS Training Pre and Postdoctoral fellowships include the following:
- Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to pursuing a research career in translational research.
- Candidates must be US citizens, non-citizen nationals, or be able to provide legal proof of lawful admission for permanent residence. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible.
- Candidates must not have had prior Kirschstein-NRSA postdoctoral support.
- Candidates must not have been Principal Investigator or equivalent on an NIH research project grant (R01, R03, R21, U01, U10), a subproject of a program grant (P01), a center grant (P50, U54) or equivalent PHS research grant awards.
- Candidates cannot be concurrently funded by two T programs.
*Please note our deadlines are later than the University of Utah Admissions office and you will be responsible for any late fees.
Financial aid in the form of loans may be available depending on need and availability of funds. For more information, please contact the University of Utah Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 801-581-6211. The Division of Public Health does not offer financial aid students. Obtaining financial aid is the responsibility of the student.