Supplies & Shipping
If you would like a specimen kit, please call, e-mail or fax your request to our laboratory. Your specimen kit(s) with prepaid Fed-Ex return & labels will be sent to you promptly.
Toll Free Phone: 866-266-5699
Local Phone: 801-581-7139
Dr. John Zone & Dr. Kristin Leiferman are available for consultation regarding your patient's skin disease and to provide advice regarding testing and interpretation of results. They can be reached through the laboratory or Dermatology administrative office at 801-581-6465.
Specimen Kit Contents
- One tube with Michel's transport medium (bright green) for skin biopsies (one specimen per tube) for direct immunofluorescence
- One tube of formalin for fixed tissue histological examination
- One small empty cryovial for serum
- Labels for vials
- Immunodermatology Request Form
- Information & instruction sheets
Take the time to review our biopsy instructions and specimen transport information.
Specimen Transport Information
Complete the Immunodermatology Request Form. The following patient data are needed for interpretation:
- Patient's full name
- Birthdate (if patient is underage, guarantor name and birthdate are also needed)
- Clinical diagnosis and brief history
- Biopsy site
- Exposure of site to sun (sun exposed, non-sun exposed)
- Relationship to lesional skin (perilesional, involved, uninvolved)
- Procurement date of all specimens submitted
Online Supply/Kit Request Form
Complete the Immunodermatology Request Form. Use the Test Submission Checklist for a step-by-step guide OR watch the video below.
Mail the specimen(s) in the return mailer at ambient temperature, OR...,
if mailer and transport medium are not available, ship the tissue specimen frozen on dry ice by express mail, packing in enough dry ice to stay frozen until receipt in laboratory. Do NOT mail vials filled with transport medium or formalin on dry ice. Serum should be shipped at ambient temperature.
The specimen kit mailer has a return label. If a mailer is not used, the shipping address is:
Department of Dermatology
University of Utah Health Care
30 North 1900 East
4A330 School of Medicine
Salt Lake City, UT. 84132-2409