Mission and Strategy
The mission of the Department of Family & Preventive Medicine research team is to expand the possibilities of health through discovering the determinants of health and developing evidence to improve health.
Our current research strategy involves the following goals and SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achieveable, Relevant, and Timely) key initiatives:Goal 1: Grow extramural research funding, with renewed emphasis on quality proposals and collaborative projects, to create a pathway to one or more new center grants
- Improve funding rate for federal proposal submissions
- Identify 2 potential center grant themes, with partners/teams, agencies/mechanisms
- Increase the number of investigators with R01 or equivalent funding (as PI or MPI)
- Develop research and scholarship skills in career-line faculty
- Increase number of career-line faculty with at least one peer-reviewed publication
- Increase number of career-line faculty on funded research projects
- Increase public research profile within the University of Utah and nationally by developing a sustainable, ongoing research dissemination strategy
- Increase public research profile within the University of Utah and nationally by nominating faculty for award/honor opportunities and placing faculty on professional panels/study sections
The research strategy of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences Research Unit can be viewed here.