VPCAT Research Scholars Program
Physician-scientists and scientists in professions across the translational science spectrum are vital members of the US biomedical workforce, but their numbers in academic health centers, such as the University of Utah, are declining. Mentorship has been identified as a key component in retaining faculty members in academics. The VPCAT Research Scholars Program is a holistic institutional mentoring program to support junior faculty members engaged in clinical and translational science at the University of Utah.
To develop future leaders in academic research and support junior investigators to achieve independent funding through mentorship and training along three key themes: scientific career development, grant writing and management, and leadership training.
A program that...
- Is the University's signature mentoring and training program
- Is a centerpiece of the University's research mission
- Shows great value and return on investment to the University
- Builds and retains a well-rounded corps of principal investigators
- Strengthens the pool of research mentors of the future
- Achieves local and national recognition