John D. Phillips, PhD
- Departments: Bioengineering - Adjunct Professor, Internal Medicine - Research Professor, Pathology - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Hematology/BMT
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E, Room: 5C330
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
John D. Phillips, Ph.D. is a Research Professor in the Division of Hematology and Hematologic Malignancies, Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Utah. In addition, he is an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology. Dr. Phillips is also Director of the University of Utah Health Sciences Center (HSC) Core Research Facilities. His research focuses on porphyria and porphyrin biosynthesis. Dr. Phillips obtained his B.S. from University of New Hampshire, and then his Ph.D. from Dartmouth College.
|Research Fellow||University of Utah
||Postdoctoral Research Fellow|
|Doctoral Training||Dartmouth College
|Undergraduate||University of New Hampshire
- Yien YY, Robledo RF, Schultz IJ, Takahashi-Makise N, Gwynn B, Bauer DE, Dass A, Yi G, Li L, Hildick-Smith GJ, Cooney JD, Pierce EL, Mohler K, Dailey TA, Miyata N, Kingsley PD, Garone C, Hattangadi SM, Huang H, Chen W, Keenan EM, Shah DI, Schlaeger TM, DiMauro S, Orkin SH, Cantor AB, Palis J, Koehler CM, Lodish HF, Kaplan J, Ward DM, Dailey HA, Phillips JD, Peters LL, Paw BH (2014). TMEM14C is required for erythroid mitochondrial heme metabolism. J Clin Invest, 124(10), 4294-304.
- Balwani M, Doheny D, Bishop DF, Nazarenko I, Yasuda M, Dailey HA, Anderson KE, Bissell DM, Bloomer J, Bonkovsky HL, Phillips JD, Liu L, Desnick RJ (2013). Loss-of-function ferrochelatase and gain-of-function erythroid-specific 5-aminolevulinate synthase mutations causing erythropoietic protoporphyria and x-linked protoporphyria in North American patients reveal novel mutations and a high prevalence of X-linked protoporphyria. Mol Med, 19, 26-35.
- Wang L, He F, Bu J, Zhen Y, Liu X, Du W, Dong J, Cooney JD, Dubey SK, Shi Y, Gong B, Li J, McBride PF, Jia Y, Lu F, Soltis KA, Lin Y, Namburi P, Liang C, Sundaresan P, Paw BH, Li W, Li DY, Phillips JD, Yang Z (2012). ABCB6 mutations cause ocular coloboma. Am J Hum Genet, 90(1), 40-8.
- Troadec MB, Warner D, Wallace J, Thomas K, Spangrude GJ, Phillips JD, Khalimonchuk O, Paw BH, Ward DM, Kaplan J (2011). Targeted deletion of the mouse Mitoferrin1 gene: from anemia to protoporphyria. Blood, 117(20), 5494-5502.
- Lorenzo FR 5th, Phillips JD, Nussenzveig R, Lingam B, Koul PA, Schrier SL, Prchal JT (2011). Molecular basis of two novel mutations found in type I methemoglobinemia. Blood Cells Mol Dis, 46(4), 277-81.
- Boynton TO, Gerdes S, Craven SH, Neidle EL, Phillips JD, Dailey HA (2011). Discovery of a gene involved in a third bacterial protoporphyrinogen oxidase activity through comparative genomic analysis and functional complementation. Appl Environ Microbiol, 77(14), 4795-801.
- To-Figueras J, Phillips JD, Gonzalez-Lopez JM, Badenas C, Madrigal I, Gonzalez-Romaris EM, Ramos C, Aguirre JM, Herrero C (2011). Hepatoerythropoietic porphyria due to a novel mutation in the uroporphyrinogen decarboxylase gene. Br J Dermatol, 165(3), 499-505.
- Phillips JD, Kushner JP, Bergonia HA, Franklin MR (2011). Uroporphyria in the Cyp1a2-/- mouse. Blood Cells Mol Dis, 47(4), 249-54.
- Huang Z, Chen K, Xu T, Zhang J, Li Y, Li W, Agarwal AK, Clark AM, Phillips JD, Pan X (2011). Sampangine inhibits heme biosynthesis in both yeast and human. Eukaryot Cell, 10(11), 1536-44.
- Dailey HA, Septer AN, Daugherty L, Thames D, Gerdes S, Stabb EV, Dunn AK, Dailey TA, Phillips JD (2011). The Escherichia coli protein YfeX functions as a porphyrinogen oxidase, not a heme dechelatase. MBio, 2(6), e00248-11.
- Phillips JD, Whitby FG, Warby CA, Labbe P, Yang C, Pflugrath JW, Ferrara JD, Robinson H, Kushner JP, Hill CP (2004). Crystal Structure of the Oxygen-dependent Coproporphyrinogen Oxidase (Hem13p) of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem, 279, 38960-38968.