William T. Sause, MD
- Departments: Radiation Oncology - Adjunct Professor
Academic Office Information
8th Avenue & C Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
William Sause, MD, adjunct professor of radiation oncology at the University of Utah, has worked as a radiation oncologist at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, since 1978, where he is also the director of radiation oncology and a member of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Sause is a specialist with the Multidisciplinary Melanoma Clinic at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Physicians, scientists, and educators with the Multidisciplinary Melanoma Clinic meet routinely for patient treatment planning conferences to discuss individual cases and formulate the most effective treatment plans. This team approach means that patients benefit from the combined expertise of cancer specialists, helping them make the most informed decisions about care.
Sause received his doctoral degree from Medical College of Wisconsin in 1972. He holds membership with numerous committees and professional organizations, including serving as vice-chairman of the Southwest Oncology Group's Brain Committee; co-investigator with the Gynecological Oncology Group; professional educational committee chairman of the Utah division of the American Cancer Society; and on the Radiation Control Committee of the Utah State Radiological Society. In addition, he served as the chairman of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) Lung Cancer Committee, funded by the National Cancer Institute. Sause has published widely, including original publications, abstracts, books and book chapters, and protocols.
- Lum MM, Belnap TW, Frandsen J, Brown AP, Sause WT, Soisson AP, Dodson MK, Werner T, Gaffney DK (2015). Survival Analysis of Cancer Patients With FIGO Stage IIIA Endometrial Cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 38(3), 283-8.
- Terakedis BE, Anker CJ, Leachman SA, Andtbacka RH, Bowen GM, Sause WT, Grossmann KF, Bowles TL, Noyes RD, Hitchcock YJ, Boucher KM, Shrieve DC (2014). Patterns of failure and predictors of outcome in cutaneous malignant melanoma of the scalp. J Am Acad Dermatol, 70(3), 435-42.
- Mauguen A, Pignon JP, Burdett S, Domerg C, Fisher D, Paulus R, Mandrekar SJ, Belani CP, Shepherd FA, Eisen T, Pang H, Collette L, Sause WT, Dahlberg SE, Crawford J, OBrien M, Schild SE, Parmar M, Tierney JF, Le Pechoux C, Michiels S (2013). Surrogate endpoints for overall survival in chemotherapy and radiotherapy trials in operable and locally advanced lung cancer: a re-analysis of meta-analyses of individual patients' data. Lancet Oncol, 14(7), 619-26.
- Brown AP, Gaffney DK, Dodson MK, Soisson AP, Belnap TW, Alleman K, Sause WT (2013). Survival analysis of endometrial cancer patients with positive lymph nodes. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 23(5), 861-8.
- Mauguen A, Le Pechoux C, Saunders MI, Schild SE, Turrisi AT, Baumann M, Sause WT, Ball D, Belani CP, Bonner JA, Zajusz A, Dahlberg SE, Nankivell M, Mandrekar SJ, Paulus R, Behrendt K, Koch R, Bishop JF, Dische S, Arriagada R, De Ruysscher D, Pignon JP (2012). Hyperfractionated or accelerated radiotherapy in lung cancer: an individual patient data meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol, 30(22), 2788-97.
- Komaki R, Paulus R, Ettinger DS, Videtic GM, Bradley JD, Glisson BS, Langer CJ, Sause WT, Curran WJ Jr, Choy H (2012). Phase II study of accelerated high-dose radiotherapy with concurrent chemotherapy for patients with limited small-cell lung cancer: Radiation Therapy Oncology Group protocol 0239. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 83(4), e531-6.
- Hymas RV, Gaffney DK, Parkinson BT, Belnap TW, Sause WT (2012). Is short-interval mammography necessary after breast conservation surgery and radiation treatment in breast cancer patients? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 83(2), 519-24.
- Machtay M, Paulus R, Moughan J, Komaki R, Bradley JE, Choy H, Albain K, Movsas B, Sause WT, Curran WJ (2012). Defining local-regional control and its importance in locally advanced non-small cell lung carcinoma. J Thorac Oncol, 7(4), 716-22.
- Huang EX, Bradley JD, El Naqa I, Hope AJ, Lindsay PE, Bosch WR, Matthews JW, Sause WT, Graham MV, Deasy JO (2012). Modeling the risk of radiation-induced acute esophagitis for combined Washington University and RTOG trial 93-11 lung cancer patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 82(5), 1674-9.
- Machtay M, Bae K, Movsas B, Paulus R, Gore EM, Komaki R, Albain K, Sause WT, Curran WJ (2012). Higher biologically effective dose of radiotherapy is associated with improved outcomes for locally advanced non-small cell lung carcinoma treated with chemoradiation: an analysis of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 82(1), 425-34.
- Barney BM, Lee RJ, Handrahan D, Welsh KT, Cook JT, Sause WT (2011). Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT) for prostate cancer comparing kV imaging of fiducial markers with cone beam computed tomography (CBCT). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 80(1), 301-5.