Jeanne M. Frederick, PhD
- Departments: Ophthalmology/Visual Sciences - Research Associate Professor
Academic Office Information
John A. Moran Eye Center
Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
65 N Mario Capecchi
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Research StatementI have performed retina histology since the early 1980s, initially studying the circuitry of human dopaminergic amacrine/interplexiform cells in freshly-acquired (<2hr postmortem) donor eyes. Since moving to the University of Utah, we have been first to show: a) mutant rhodopsin on a null background aggregates and is retained in the ER, identified by calnexin colabeling (2001), where it initiates an unfolded protein response; b) guanylate cyclases 1/2 participate in transport of photoreceptor peripheral membrane proteins (2007); c) heterotrimeric kinesin-II is required for the trafficking of membrane proteins in cones, but not rods (2009); and d) lutein- and zeaxanthin-binding proteins, as well as lipase C, are expressed in neurons of the primate retina (2009-10). Continuing studies are directed toward elucidating protein function in healthy photoreceptors, and reasons for dysfunction in the disease state.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Baylor College of Medicine
|Doctoral Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Baehr W, Hanke-Gogokhia C, Sharif A, Reed M, Dahl T, Frederick JM, Ying G (2018). Insights into photoreceptor ciliogenesis revealed by animal models. Prog Retin Eye Res, 71, 26-56.
- Ying G, Frederick JM, Baehr W (2019). Deletion of both centrin 2 (CETN2) and CETN3 destabilizes the distal connecting cilium of mouse photoreceptors. J Biol Chem, 294(11), 3957-3973.
- Hanke-Gogokhia C, Chiodo VA, Hauswirth WW, Frederick JM, Baehr W (2018). Rescue of cone function in cone-only Nphp5 knockout mouse model with Leber congenital amaurosis phenotype. Mol Vis, 24, 834-846.
- Ying G, Boldt K, Ueffing M, Gerstner CD, Frederick JM, Baehr W (2018). The small GTPase RAB28 is required for phagocytosis of cone outer segments by the murine retinal pigmented epithelium. J Biol Chem, 293(45), 17546-17558.
- Li B, Rognon GT, Mattinson T, Vachali PP, Gorusupudi A, Chang FY, Ranganathan A, Nelson K, George EW, Frederick JM, Bernstein PS (2018). Supplementation with macular carotenoids improves visual performance of transgenic mice. Arch Biochem Biophys, 649, 22-28.
- Hanke-Gogokhia C, Wu Z, Sharif A, Yazigi H, Frederick JM, Baehr W (2017). The guanine nucleotide exchange factor Arf-like protein 13b is essential for assembly of the mouse photoreceptor transition zone and outer segment. J Biol Chem, 292(52), 21442-21456.