Charles D. Hawker, PhD
- Departments: Pathology - Adjunct Professor
Academic Office Information
500 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Charles Hawker is Scientific Director for Automation and Special Projects at ARUP Laboratories, where he has been for over 22 years. At ARUP he has installed several major automation and robotic systems that have made ARUP one of the world's most automated laboratories. He is a frequent lecturer on clinical laboratory automation at national and international meetings. Dr. Hawker has received the 2014 AACC Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. He also received the 2013 AACC MSPSD Division Award for Outstanding Contributions to Management Sciences and Patient Safety, and AACC Outstanding Speaker Awards for 2000, 2007, and 2009. He has also received the John V. Bergen Award of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, the Proefssor Alvin Dubin Award from the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (NACB) for contributions to the profession and the Academy, a Diploma of Honor from the Association of Clinical Scientists (ACS), and the Becton Dickinson Award from the Association for Laboratory Automation. He is a past President of the NACB, the ACS, and the Clinical Ligand Assay Society, and also served two terms as Secretary of NACB and is the current Secretary of the ACS. He has chaired several automation committees in both CLSI (NCCLS) and Health Level 7 and currently chairs a CLSI Document Development Committee for 2D Barcodes. He is a co-author or author of chapters on clinical laboratory automation in the 4th and 5th Editions of the Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, the 6th and 7th Editions of the Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry, and in Clinics in Laboratory Medicine (December, 2007). He has published ten other invited reviews or chapters, 43 peer-reviewed articles, 47 abstracts, and holds 3 patents. His published research ranges from radioimmunoassay of parathyroid hormone to clinical laboratory automation systems, but he is especially proud of a 1983 publication on the measurement of calcitonin in patients with toxic shock syndrome, a paper that provided the empetus for the identification of procalcitonin as a precursor to calcitonin and its use as a marker for septic shock. His most recent research was the development of an automated camera system that can use OCR/OCV technology to identified patient name mislabeled specimens published in Clinical Chemistry in March, 2014.
|Graduate Training||Washington University
|Doctoral Training||University of Pennsylvania
|Graduate Training||University of Wisconsin
- Hawker CD, Schlank MR (2000 May). Development of standards for laboratory automation. Clin Chem, 46(5), 746-50.
- Weiss RL, Ahlin PA, Hawker CD, Schumm CL (1995 Jan-Feb). Transition in quality: from quality assurance to strategic quality management. Clin Lab Manage Rev, 9(1), 27-30, 32, 34-45.
- Elfers RS, Bayly WM, Brobst DF, Reed SM, Liggitt HD, Hawker CD, Baylink DJ (1986 Jul). Alterations in calcium, phosphorus and C-terminal parathyroid hormone levels in equine acute renal disease. Cornell Vet, 76(3), 317-29.
- Friedlander MA, Horst RL, Hawker CD (1984 Oct). Absence of effect of 24,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol on serum immunoreactive PTH in patients with persistent hyperparathyroidism after renal transplantation. Clin Nephrol, 22(4), 206-10.
- Chesney RW, McCarron DM, Haddad JG, Hawker CD, DiBella FP, Chesney PJ, Davis JP (1983 Apr). Pathogenic mechanisms of the hypocalcemia of the staphylococcal toxic-shock syndrome. J Lab Clin Med, 101(4), 576-85.
- Di Bella FP, Hawker CD (1982 Jan). Parathyrin (parathyroid hormone): radioimmunoassays for intact and carboxyl-terminal moieties. Clin Chem, 28(1), 226-35.
- Sebel PS, Bovill JG, Schellekens AP, Hawker CD (1981 Sep). Hormonal responses to high-dose fentanyl anaesthesia. A study in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Br J Anaesth, 53(9), 941-8.
- Yarrington JT, Hoffman WE, Macy D, Hawker C (1981 Feb). Morphologic characteristics of the parathyroid and thyroid glands and serum immunoreactive parathyroid hormone in dogs with pseudohyperparathyroidism. Am J Vet Res, 42(2), 271-4.
- Stoffer SS, Zaka-Ur-Rahman, Meier DA, Hawker CD (1980 Jun). Prompt resolution of osteomalacia by switching from phenytoin to phenobarbital. Arch Intern Med, 140(6), 852.
- Hawker CD, Di Bella FP (1980 Jan-Feb). Radioimmunoassay for intact and carboxyl-terminal parathyroid hormone: clinical interpretation and diagnostic significance. Ann Clin Lab Sci, 10(1), 76-88.
- Hawker CD, Di Bella FP (1980). Parathyroid hormone in chronic renal failure: studies with two different parathyroid hormone radioimmunoassays. Contrib Nephrol, 20, 21-37.
- Zipf WB, Bacon GE, Spencer ML, Kelch RP, Hopwood NJ, Hawker CD (1979 May-Jun). Hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, and transient hypoparathyroidism during therapy with potassium phosphate in diabetic ketoacidosis. Diabetes Care, 2(3), 265-8.
- Walsh PR, Crawford JF, Hawker CD (1977 Jan-Feb). Measurement of digoxin by radioimmunoassay. Ann Clin Lab Sci, 7(1), 79-87.
- Zidar BL, Shadduck RK, Winkelstein A, Zeigler Z, Hawker CD (1976 Sep 23). Acute myelobalstic leukemia and hypercalcemia. A case of probable ectopic parathyroid hormone production. N Engl J Med, 295(13), 692-4.
- Robin NI, Siegel LM, Hawker CD, Magida MG (1976 Sep). Hypercalcemia and metastatic intestinal leiomyosarcoma: a case of ectopic parathyroid hormone production. Conn Med, 40(9), 609-11.
- Hawker CD (1975 Sep-Oct). Parathyroid hormone: radioimmunoassay and clinical interpretation. Ann Clin Lab Sci, 5(5), 383-98.
- Phelps P, Hawker CD (1973 Sep-Oct). Serum parathyroid hormone levels in patients with calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition disease (chondrocalcinosis, pseudogout). Arthritis Rheum, 16(5), 590-6.
- Blair AJ Jr, Hawker CD, Utiger RD (1973 Feb). Ectopic hyperparathyroidism in a patient with metastatic hypernephroma. Metabolism, 22(2), 147-54.
- Wu BC, Pillay VK, Hawker CD, Armbruster KF, Shapiro HS, Ing TS (1972 Oct 28). Hypercalcaemia in acute renal failure of acute alcoholic rhabdomyolysis. S Afr Med J, 46(43), 1631-3.
- Hawker CD (1969 Jul). Automatic digital integration of radioimmunoassay chromatoelectrophoresis peaks. Anal Biochem, 30(1), 144-6.
- Hawker CD, Rasmussen H, Glass J (1967 Nov). Progress on the isolation of porcine thyrocalcitonin. Am J Med, 43(5), 656-61.
- Rasmussen H, Shirasu H, Ogata E, Hawker C (1967 Oct 25). Parathyroid hormone and mitochondrial metabolism. Specificity, sensitivity, and physiological correlates. J Biol Chem, 242(20), 4669-77.
- Hawker CD, Rasmussen H, Glass JD (1967 Oct). Concerning the isolation of thyrocalcitonin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 58(4), 1535-40.
- Littledike ET, Hawker CD (1967 Aug). Extraction, purification and partial characterization of porcine parathyroid hormone. Endocrinology, 81(2), 261-6.
- Hawker CD, Glass JD, Rasmussen H (1966 Jan). Further studies on the isolation and charcterization of parathyroid polypeptides. Biochemistry, 5(1), 344-52.
- Tenenhouse A, Rasmussen H, Hawker CD, Arnaud CD (1968). Thyrocalcitonin. [Review]. Annu Rev Pharmacol, 8, 319-36.
- Hawker CD (1991 Aug). Which parathyrin assay is really best for clinical use? [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chem, 37(8), 1464-7.
- Hawker CD (1986 Dec). More on testing for hyperparathyroidism [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chem, 32(12), 2224-5.
- Stoffer SS, Szpunar WE, Hawker CD (1980 Apr 11). Differentiation of thyroid from parathyroid cysts [Letter to the editor]. JAMA, 243(14), 1422.
- Stoffer SS, Hawker CD (1979 Jan 26). Parathyroid cysts--medical diagnosis and management [Letter to the editor]. JAMA, 241(4), 357.