R. Scott Evans, FACMI, MS, PhD
- Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting Systems
- Adverse Medical Device Events
- Antibiotic-Resistant Pathogens
- Clinical Decision Support Systems
- Infectious Disease
- Patient Isolation
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Venous Thrombosis
- Sleep Apnea, Obstructive
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Professor
Academic Office Information
8th Avenue & C Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
Dr. R. Scott Evans earned his PhD in Medical Biophysics and Computing from the University of Utah and his MS in Parasitology/Microbiology from Brigham Young University. He is a tenured professor in the University of Utah’s Biomedical Department of Informatics. In 1997, he did a fellowship with the American College of Medical Informatics.
His areas of expertise include the following: computerized tools for management of anti-infective agents; adverse drug and medical device events; identifying patients in need of isolation; reduction of hospital-acquired infections; identification of antibiotic-resistant pathogens; and identifying patients who need anticoagulation therapy and patients with venous thromboembolism.
Dr. Evans joined the department in 1987. He is the former chair (2011) and now an elected member of the Board of Directors, American Medical Informatics Association (2012-2014); previously, he was the board’s elected Treasurer, Executive Committee (2009 – 2011). He has served on the Editorial Board, the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (2005) as well as on the Editorial Board, Annuals of Pharmacotherapy (2007).
Research StatementComputerized tools for management of anti-infective agents; adverse drug events; identifying patients in need of isolation; reduction of hospital-acquired infections; Identification of antibiotic-resistant pathogens; Identifying patients who need anticoagulation therapy and patients with venous thromboembolism; other epidemiologic conditions
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
Medical Biophysics & Computing
|Graduate Training||Brigham Young University
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
- Hodgson RJ, Grainger AJ, OConnor PJ, Evans R, Coates L, Marzo-Ortega H, Helliwell P, McGonagle D, Emery P, Robson MD (2011). Imaging of the Achilles tendon in spondyloarthritis: a comparison of ultrasound and conventional, short and ultrashort echo time MRI with and without intravenous contrast. Frontiers in Applied Genetic Epidemiology, 21(6), 1144-52.
- Mills C, Tlustos C, Evans R, Matthews W (2008). Dietary acrylamide exposure estimates for the United Kingdom and Ireland: comparison between semiprobabilistic and probabilistic exposure models. J Agric Food Chem, 56(15), 6039-45.
- Leuwerke B, Kitikoon P, Evans R, Thacker E (2008). Comparison of three serological assays to determine the cross-reactivity of antibodies from eight genetically diverse U.S. swine influenza viruses. J Vet Diagn Invest, 20(4), 426-32.
- Deeg M, Baiyewu O, Gao S, Ogunniyi A, Shen J, Gureje O, Taylor S, Murrell J, Unverzagt F, Smith-Gamble V, Evans R, Dickens J, Hendrie H, Hall K (2008). A comparison of cardiovascular disease risk factor biomarkers in African Americans and Yoruba Nigerians. Ethn Dis, 18(4), 427-33.
- Legacy of Life, Scientific Award – R. Scott Evans, MS, PhD, FACMI
- Intermountain researchers build app to keep tabs on advanced heart failure patients
- BMI 2015 AMIA Recap
- R. Scott Evans, PhD publishes paper in CHEST
- AMIA recognizes Scott Evans, PhD with Donald A. Lindberg Award