Stanley M. Huff, MD, FACMI
- Clinical Data Exchange Standards
- Clinical Information Models
- Electronic Health Record Systems
- Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes
- SNOMED CT
- Standard Coded Terminologies
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Professor (Clinical), Nursing - Adjunct Professor, Pathology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Preventive Medicine (Clinical Informatics)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (Medical Laboratory Scientist)
- National Board of Medical Examiners
Academic Office Information
Intermountain Healthcare Transformation Laboratory
Murray, UT 84107
Dr. Stanley M. Huff earned his MD from the University of Utah’s School of Medicine. He is a clinical professor in the University of Utah’s Department of Biomedical Informatics, an adjunct professor of Nursing, and an adjunct assistant professor of Pathology at the University of Utah.
His expertise is in the following areas: medical information representation in database systems; standards for the exchange of data between medical computer systems, including Health Level Seven (HL7), Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC), and SNOMED CT; as well as Electronic Medical Record architecture and design.
Dr. Huff joined the department in 1987 as a clinical professor. He is board certified in Clinical Pathology and was elected to the American College of Medical Informatics in 1997.. He serves on the Health Information Technology Standards Committee (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology), is a member of the Board of HL7, and co-chairs the LOINC Committee.
“As long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by the power of computers. It seemed like the ideal situation to me to use the power of computers to prevent disease and help patients get well faster.”
Research StatementMedical information representation in database systems; standards for the exchange of data between medical computer systems, including HL7, LOINC and SNOMED C; Electronic Medical Record architecture and design.
|Residency||University of Utah
|Residency||University of New Mexico
|Professional Medical||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
- Stram M, Gigliotti T, Hartman D, Pitkus A, Huff SM, Riben M, Henricks WH, Farahani N, Pantanowitz L (2019). Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes for Laboratorians. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 144(2), 229-239.
- Matney SA, Heale B, Hasley S, Decker E, Frederiksen B, Davis N, Langford P, Ramey N, Huff SM (2019). Lessons Learned in Creating Interoperable Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources Profiles for Large-Scale Public Health Programs. Appl Clin Inform, 10(1), 87-95.
- Lee J, Hulse NC, Wood GM, Oniki TA, Huff SM (2016). Profiling Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) of Family Health History based on the Clinical Element Models. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 753-762.
- Chute CG, Huff SM (2017). The Pluripotent Rendering of Clinical Data for Precision Medicine. Stud Health Technol Inform, 245, 337-340.
- Oniki TA, Zhuo N, Beebe CE, Liu H, Coyle JF, Parker CG, Solbrig HR, Marchant K, Kaggal VC, Chute CG, Huff SM (2016). Clinical element models in the SHARPn consortium. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 23(2), 248-56.
- Tripp JS, Duncan JD, Finch L, Huff SM (2015). Completing Death Certificates from an EMR: Analysis of a Novel Public-Private Partnership. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2015, 1214-23.
- Jiang G, Evans J, Oniki TA, Coyle JF, Bain L, Huff SM, Kush RD, Chute CG (2015). Harmonization of detailed clinical models with clinical study data standards. Methods Inf Med, 54(1), 65-74.
- Haug PJ, Wu X, Ferraro JP, Savova GK, Huff SM, Chute CG (2014). Developing a section labeler for clinical documents. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2014, 636-44.
- Oniki TA, Coyle JF, Parker CG, Huff SM (2014). Lessons learned in detailed clinical modeling at Intermountain Healthcare. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 21(6), 1076-81.
- Pathak J, Bailey KR, Beebe CE, Bethard S, Carrell DC, Chen PJ, Dligach D, Endle CM, Hart LA, Haug PJ, Huff SM, Kaggal VC, Li D, Liu H, Marchant K, Masanz J, Miller T, Oniki TA, Palmer M, Peterson KJ, Rea S, Savova GK, Stancl CR, Sohn S, Solbrig HR, Suesse DB, Tao C, Taylor DP, Westberg L, Wu S, Zhuo N, Chute CG (2013). Normalization and standardization of electronic health records for high-throughput phenotyping: the SHARPn consortium. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 20(e2), e341-8.
- Tao C, Jiang G, Oniki TA, Freimuth RR, Zhu Q, Sharma D, Pathak J, Huff SM, Chute CG (2013). A semantic-web oriented representation of the clinical element model for secondary use of electronic health records data. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 20(3), 554-62.
- Ahn S, Huff SM, Kim Y, Kalra D (2013). Quality metrics for detailed clinical models. Int J Med Inform, 82(5), 408-17.
- Rea S, Pathak J, Savova G, Oniki TA, Westberg L, Beebe CE, Tao C, Parker CG, Haug PJ, Huff SM, Chute CG (2012). Building a robust, scalable and standards-driven infrastructure for secondary use of EHR data: the SHARPn project. J Biomed Inform, 45(4), 763-71.
- Lin MC, Vreeman DJ, McDonald CJ, Huff SM (2012). Auditing consistency and usefulness of LOINC use among three large institutions - using version spaces for grouping LOINC codes. J Biomed Inform, 45(4), 658-66.
- Chute CG, Huff SM, Ferguson JA, Walker JM, Halamka JD (2012). There are important reasons for delaying implementation of the new ICD-10 coding system. Health Aff (Millwood), 31(4), 836-42.
- Liu H, Wu ST, Li D, Jonnalagadda S, Sohn S, Wagholikar K, Haug PJ, Huff SM, Chute CG (2012). Towards a semantic lexicon for clinical natural language processing. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2012, 568-76.
- Li D, Endle CM, Murthy S, Stancl C, Suesse D, Sottara D, Huff SM, Chute CG, Pathak J (2012). Modeling and executing electronic health records driven phenotyping algorithms using the NQF Quality Data Model and JBoss® Drools Engine. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2012, 532-41.
- Lin MC, Vreeman DJ, McDonald CJ, Huff SM (2011). A characterization of local LOINC mapping for laboratory tests in three large institutions. Methods Inf Med, 50(2), 105-14.
- Tao C, Parker CG, Oniki TA, Pathak J, Huff SM, Chute CG (2011). An OWL meta-ontology for representing the Clinical Element Model. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011, 1372-81.
- Lin MC, Vreeman DJ, Huff SM (2011). Investigating the semantic interoperability of laboratory data exchanged using LOINC codes in three large institutions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011, 805-14.
- Chute CG, Pathak J, Savova GK, Bailey KR, Schor MI, Hart LA, Beebe CE, Huff SM (2011). The SHARPn project on secondary use of Electronic Medical Record data: progress, plans, and possibilities. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011, 248-56.
- Welch SR, Huff SM (2010). Cohort amplification: an associative classification framework for identification of disease cohorts in the electronic health record. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2010, 862-6.
- Vreeman DJ, McDonald CJ, Huff SM (2010). Representing Patient Assessments in LOINC®. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2010, 832-6.
- Lin MC, Vreeman DJ, McDonald CJ, Huff SM (2010). Correctness of Voluntary LOINC Mapping for Laboratory Tests in Three Large Institutions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2010, 447-51.
- Westra BL, Subramanian A, Hart CM, Matney SA, Wilson PS, Huff SM, Huber DL, Delaney CW (2010). Achieving "meaningful use" of electronic health records through the integration of the Nursing Management Minimum Data Set. J Nurs Adm, 40(7-8), 336-43.
- Rajeev D, Staes CJ, Evans RS, Mottice S, Rolfs R, Samore MH, Whitney J, Kurzban R, Huff SM (2010). Development of an electronic public health case report using HL7 v2.5 to meet public health needs. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 17(1), 34-41.
- Vreeman DJ, McDonald CJ, Huff SM (2010). LOINC® - A Universal Catalog of Individual Clinical Observations and Uniform Representation of Enumerated Collections. Int J Funct Inform Personal Med, 3(4), 273-291.
- Heras YZ, Mitchell JA, Williams MS, Brothman AR, Huff SM (2009). Evaluation of LOINC for representing constitutional cytogenetic test result reports. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2009, 239-43.
- Subramanian A, Westra B, Matney S, Wilson PS, Delaney CW, Huff S, Huber D (2008). Integrating the nursing management minimum data set into the logical observation identifier names and codes system. 1148.
- Staes CJ, Huff SM, Tilley C, Narus SP, Sorensen JB, Evans RS (2004). Development of an information model for solid organ transplantation. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1015.
- Zhuo N, Rocha RA, Huff SM (2004). The design and implementation of a picklist authoring tool. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1061.
- Friedman C, Huff SM, Hersh WR, Pattison-Gordon E, Cimino JJ (1995). The Canon Group's effort: working toward a merged model. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 2(1), 4-18.
- Beck RP, Castagno DL, Craig RB, Davidheisser TS, Haley AW Jr, Huff SM, Radigan RP (1990). Medical Information System. U.S. Patent No. 862,094. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.