Julio C. Facelli, PhD, FACMI
- Protein Structure Prediction to Understand Variant Pathogenicity
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Professor
Academic Office Information
421 Wakara Way, Room: Suite 140
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Facelli was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and attended the University of Buenos Aires where he got his Ph.D in physics in 1982. In 1983 he did post-doctoral research at the University of Arizona and the following year he joined the University of Utah.Â At the University of Utah he was the Director of the Center for High Performance Computing from 1995 to 2013 and he is currently, Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Biomedical Informatics, Associate Director for Biomedical Informatics at the Center for Clinical and Translational Science, Adjunct Professor of Chemistry and Physics and member of the Utah Nano Science Institute. In 2018 he was voted as President Elect of the University of Utah Academic Senate and he will serve as its President for next academic year. He has been involved in numerous computing and network related research projects and served in many University and national committees dealing with information technology and computational sciences. He has extensive expertise in computational sciences, parallel and distributed computing and advance network applications. He is co-author of more than 210 international peer review publications and served as Chair of the Coalition for Scientific Computing (CASC, https://casc.org/) during 2003 and 2004. In 2012 he received the Reed Gardener Award on Faculty Excellence from the Department of Biomedical Informatics. He was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) in 2014 and elected a Fellow of the Academy of Science Health Educators in 2017. His current research interests are in advance computing applications in biomedical sciences. His research has been funded by NSF, NIH, DOD and DOE. He served as reviewer for numerous international publications and funding agencies and has participated in advisory panels at NSF and NIH. He taught classes in Physics, Chemistry, Computational Sciences, Telecommunications and Medicine.
For more information regarding Dr. Julio C. Facelli, please visit his web page for his publications use OCID:0000-0003-1449-477X
|Doctoral Training||University of Buenos Aires
|Undergraduate||University of Buenos Aires
|Doctoral Training||University of Buenos Aires
|Undergraduate||University of Buenos Aires
|08/22/2018||Program Committee Member||2018 International Workshop on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI).||Global|
|01/01/2018||Program Committee Member||CBMS 2018 (IEEE Computer-Based Medical Systems 2018),||Global|
|01/05/2017||Program Committee Member||IEEE CBMS 2017, Thessaloniki, Greece, 22 - 24 June 2017||Global|
- Hernandez R, Facelli JC (2021). Structure analysis of the proteins associated with polyA repeat expansion disorders. J Biomol Struct Dyn, 1-11.
- Wang Y, Li B, Gouripeddi R, Facelli JC (2020). Human activity pattern implications for modeling SARS-CoV-2 transmission. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 199, 105896.
- Lin YK, Groat D, Chan O, Hung M, Sharma A, Varner MW, Gouripeddi R, Facelli JC, Fisher SJ (2020). Associations Between the Time in Hypoglycemia and Hypoglycemia Awareness Status in Type 1 Diabetes Patients Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems. Diabetes Technol Ther, 22(11), 787-793.
- Teerlink CC, Jurynec MJ, Hernandez R, Stevens J, Hughes DC, Brunker CP, Rowe K, Grunwald DJ, Facelli JC, Cannon-Albright LA (2020). A role for the MEGF6 gene in predisposition to osteoporosis. (Epub ahead of print) Ann Hum Genet.
- Ye X, Zeng QT, Facelli JC, Brixner DI, Conway M, Bray BE (2020). Predicting Optimal Hypertension Treatment Pathways Using Recurrent Neural Networks. Int J Med Inform, 139, 104122.
- Lund AM, Gouripeddi R, Facelli JC (2020). STHAM: an agent based model for simulating human exposure across high resolution spatiotemporal domains. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol, 30(3), 459-468.
- Morid MA, Sheng ORL, Del Fiol G, Facelli JC, Bray BE, Abdelrahman S (2020). Temporal Pattern Detection to Predict Adverse Events in Critical Care: Case Study With Acute Kidney Injury. JMIR Med Inform, 8(3), e14272.
- Taft T, Weir C, Kramer H, Facelli JC (2019). Primary care perspectives on implementation of clinical trial recruitment. J Clin Transl Sci, 4(1), 61-68.
- Lin YK, Groat D, Chan O, Hung M, Sharma A, Varner MW, Gouripeddi R, Facelli JC, Fisher SJ (2019). Alarm Settings of Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems and Associations to Glucose Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetes. J Endocr Soc, 4(1), bvz005.
- Albano JMR, Jara GE, Fernndez ML, Facelli JC, Ferraro MB, Pickholz M (2019). The Effects of Calcium on Lipid-Protein Interactions and Ion Flux in the Cx26 Connexon Embedded into a POPC Bilayer. J Membr Biol, 252(4-5), 451-464.
- Li C, Liu T, Liu B, Hernandez R, Facelli JC, Grossman D (2019). A novel CDKN2A variant (p16L117P ) in a patient with familial and multiple primary melanomas. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res, 32(5), 734-738.
- Rajan NS, Gouripeddi R, Mo P, Madsen RK, Facelli JC (2019). Towards a content agnostic computable knowledge repository for data quality assessment. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 177, 193-201.
- Albano JMR, Facelli JC, Ferraro MB, Pickholz M (2019). Magnesium interactions with a CX26 connexon in lipid bilayers. J Mol Model, 25(8), 232.
- Colicchio TK, Borbolla D, Colicchio VD, Scammon DL, Del Fiol G, Facelli JC, Bowes WA 3rd, Narus SP (2019). Looking Behind the Curtain: Identifying Factors Contributing to Changes on Care Outcomes During a Large Commercial EHR Implementation. EGEMS (Wash DC), 7(1), 21.
- Teerlink CC, Huff C, Stevens J, Yu Y, Holmen SL, Silvis MR, Trombetti K, Zhao H, Grossman D, Farnham JM, Wen J, Facelli JC, Thomas A, Babst M, Florell SR, Meyer L, Zone JJ, Leachman S, Cannon-Albright LA (2018). A Nonsynonymous Variant in the GOLM1 Gene in Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 110(12), 1380-1385.
- Colicchio TK, Del Fiol G, Scammon DL, Facelli JC, Bowes WA 3rd, Narus SP (2018). Comprehensive methodology to monitor longitudinal change patterns during EHR implementations: a case study at a large health care delivery network. J Biomed Inform, 83, 40-53.
- Grillo DA, Albano JMR, Mocskos EE, Facelli JC, Pickholz M, Ferraro MB (2018). Mechanical properties of drug loaded diblock copolymer bilayers: A molecular dynamics study. J Chem Phys, 148(21), 214901.
- Colicchio TK, Del Fiol G, Scammon DL, Bowes WA 3rd, Facelli JC, Narus SP (2017). Development and classification of a robust inventory of near real-time outcome measurements for assessing information technology interventions in health care. J Biomed Inform, 73, 62-75.
- Pflieger LT, Dansithong W, Paul S, Scoles DR, Figueroa KP, Meera P, Otis TS, Facelli JC, Pulst SM (2017). Gene co-expression network analysis for identifying modules and functionally enriched pathways in SCA2. Hum Mol Genet, 26(16), 3069-3080.
- Grillo DA, Albano JMR, Mocskos EE, Facelli JC, Pickholz M, Ferraro MB (2017). Diblock copolymer bilayers as model for polymersomes: A coarse grain approach. J Chem Phys, 146(24), 244904.
- Turner AM, Facelli JC, Jaspers M, Wetter T, Pfeifer D, Gatewood LC, Adam T, Li YC, Lin MC, Evans RS, Beukenhorst A, van Mens HJT, Tensen E, Bock C, Fendrich L, Seitz P, Suleder J, Aldelkhyyel R, Bridgeman K, Hu Z, Sattler A, Guo SY, Mohaimenul IMM, Anggraini Ningrum DN, Tung HR, Bian J, Plasek JM, Rommel C, Burke J, Sohih H (2017). Solving Interoperability in Translational Health. Perspectives of Students from the International Partnership in Health Informatics Education (IPHIE) 2016 Master Class. Appl Clin Inform, 8(2), 651-659.
- Wen J, Scoles DR, Facelli JC (2017). Molecular dynamics analysis of the aggregation propensity of polyglutamine segments. PLoS ONE, 12(5), e0178333.
- Wen J, Scoles DR, Facelli JC (2017). Effects of the enlargement of polyglutamine segments on the structure and folding of ataxin-2 and ataxin-3 proteins. J Biomol Struct Dyn, 35(3), 504-519.
- Colicchio TK, Facelli JC, Del Fiol G, Scammon DL, Bowes WA 3rd, Narus SP (2016). Health information technology adoption: Understanding research protocols and outcome measurements for IT interventions in health care. J Biomed Inform, 63, 33-44.
- Reilly AM, Cooper RI, Adjiman CS, Bhattacharya S, Boese AD, Brandenburg JG, Bygrave PJ, Bylsma R, Campbell JE, Car R, Case DH, Chadha R, Cole JC, Cosburn K, Cuppen HM, Curtis F, Day GM, DiStasio RA Jr, Dzyabchenko A, van Eijck BP, Elking DM, van den Ende JA, Facelli JC, Ferraro MB, Fusti-Molnar L, Gatsiou CA, Gee TS, de Gelder R, Ghiringhelli LM, Goto H, Grimme S, Guo R, Hofmann DW, Hoja J, Hylton RK, Iuzzolino L, Jankiewicz W, de Jong DT, Kendrick J, de Klerk NJ, Ko HY, Kuleshova LN, Li X, Lohani S, Leusen FJ, Lund AM, Lv J, Ma Y, Marom N, Masunov AE, McCabe P, McMahon DP, Meekes H, Metz MP, Misquitta AJ, Mohamed S, Monserrat B, Needs RJ, Neumann MA, Nyman J, Obata S, Oberhofer H, Oganov AR, Orendt AM, Pagola GI, Pantelides CC, Pickard CJ, Podeszwa R, Price LS, Price SL, Pulido A, Read MG, Reuter K, Schneider E, Schober C, Shields GP, Singh P, Sugden IJ, Szalewicz K, Taylor CR, Tkatchenko A, Tuckerman ME, Vacarro F, Vasileiadis M, Vazquez-Mayagoitia A, Vogt L, Wang Y, Watson RE, de Wijs GA, Yang J, Zhu Q, Groom CR (2016). Report on the sixth blind test of organic crystal structure prediction methods. Acta Crystallogr B Struct Sci Cryst Eng Mater, 72(Pt 4), 439-59.
- Jones DE, Ghandehari H, Facelli JC (2016). A review of the applications of data mining and machine learning for the prediction of biomedical properties of nanoparticles. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 132, 93-103.
- Reilly AM, Cooper RI, Adjiman CS, Bhattacharya S, Boese AD, Brandenburg JG, Bygrave PJ, Bylsma RC, Josh E, Car R, Case DH, Chadha R, Cole JC, Cosburn K, Cuppen HM, Curtis F, Day GM, DiStasio Jr RA, Dzyabchenko A, Van E, Bouke P, Elking DM, Can Den E, Joost A, Facelli JC, Ferraro MB, Fusti-Molnar L, Gatsiou CA, Gee TS, De Gelder R, Ghiringhelli LM, Goto H, Grimme S, Guo R, Hofmann DWM, Hoja J, Hylton RK, Iuzzolino L, Jankiewicz W, De Jong DT, Kendrick J, De Klerk NJJ, Ko HY, Kuleshova LN, Li X, Lohani S, Leusen FJJ, Lund AM, Lv J, Ma Y, Marom N, Masunov AE, McCabe P, McMahon DP, Meekes H, Metz MP, Misquitta AJ, Mohamed S, Monserrat B, Needs RJ, Neumann MA, Nyman J, Obata S, Oberhofer H, Oganov AR, Orendt AM, Pagola GI, Pantelides CC, Pickard CJ, Podeszwa R, Price LS, Price SL, Pulido A, Read MG, Reuter K, Schneider E, Schober C, Shields GP, Singh P, Sugden IJ, Szaleqicz K, Taylor CR, Tkatchenko A, Tuckerman ME, Vacarro F, Vasileiadis M, Vazquez-Mayagoitia A, Vogt L, Wang Y, Watson RE, De Wijs GA, Yang J, Zhu Q, Groom CR (01/01/2016). Report on the sixth blind test of organic crystal-structure prediction methods. Acta Crystallogr, Section B, 1-59.
- Jones DE, Lund AM, Ghandehari H, Facelli JC (2016). Molecular dynamics simulations in drug delivery research: Calcium chelation of G3.5 PAMAM dendrimers. Cogent Chem, 2(1).
- Jones DE, Ghandehari H, Facelli JC (2015). Predicting cytotoxicity of PAMAM dendrimers using molecular descriptors. Beilstein J Nanotechnol, 6, 1886-96.
- Lund AM, Pagola GI, Orendt AM, Ferraro MB, Facelli JC (2015). Crystal Structure Prediction from First Principles: The Crystal Structures of Glycine. Chem Phys Lett, 626, 20-24.
- He S, Narus SP, Facelli JC, Lau LM, Botkin JR, Hurdle JF (2014). A domain analysis model for eIRB systems: addressing the weak link in clinical research informatics. J Biomed Inform, 52, 121-9.
- Thibault JC, Roe DR, Facelli JC, Cheatham TE 3rd (2014). Data model, dictionaries, and desiderata for biomolecular simulation data indexing and sharing. J Cheminform, 6(1), 4.
- Bradford W, Hurdle JF, LaSalle B, Facelli JC (2014). Development of a HIPAA-compliant environment for translational research data and analytics. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 21(1), 185-9.
- Maojo V, Fritts M, Martin-Sanchez F, De la Iglesia D, Cachau RE, Garcia-Remesal M, Crespo J, Mitchell JA, Anguita A, Baker N, Barreiro JM, Benitez SE, De la Calle G, Facelli JC, Ghazal P, Geissbuhler A, Gonzalez-Nilo F, Graf N, Grangeat P, Hermosilla I, Hussein R, Kern J, Koch S, Legre Y, Lopez-Alonso V, Lopez-Campos G, Milanesi L, Moustakis V, Munteanu C, Otero P, Pazos A, Perez-Rey D, Potamias G, Sanz F, Kulikowski C (2012). Nanoinformatics: developing new computing applications for nanomedicine. Comput Sci Eng, 94(6), 521-539.
- Davis K, Staes C, Duncan J, Igo S, Facelli JC (2012). Identification of pneumonia and influenza deaths using the Death Certificate Pipeline. BMC Med Informat Decis Making, 12, 37.
- Crockett DK, Lyon E, Williams MS, Narus SP, Facelli JC, Mitchell JA (2011). Utility of gene-specific algorithms for predicting pathogenicity of uncertain gene variants. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 19(2), 207-11.
- Ebbert MT, Bastien RR, Boucher KM, Martn M, Carrasco E, Caballero R, Stijleman IJ, Bernard PS, Facelli JC (2011). Characterization of uncertainty in the classification of multivariate assays: application to PAM50 centroid-based genomic predictors for breast cancer treatment plans. J Clin Bioinforma, 1, 37.
- Price RC, Pettey W, Freeman T, Keahey K, Leecaster M, Samore M, Tobias J, Facelli JC (2010). SaTScan on a Cloud: On-Demand Large Scale Spatial Analysis of Epidemics. OJPHI, 2(1).
- Kim S, Orendt AM, Ferraro MB, Facelli JC (2009). Crystal structure prediction of flexible molecules using parallel genetic algorithms with a standard force field. J Comput Chem, 30(13), 1973-85.
- Staes CJ, Xu W, LeFevre SD, Price RC, Narus SP, Gundlapalli A, Rolfs R, Nangle B, Samore M, Facelli JC (2009). A case for using grid architecture for state public health informatics: the Utah perspective. BMC Med Informat Decis Making, 9, 32.
- Krikov S, Price RC, Allen-Brady K, Cannon-Albright L, Facelli JC (2008). Enabling GeneHunter as a grid service: a case study for implementing analytical services for biomedical grids. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1014.
- Rocha RA, Hurdle JF, Matney S, Narus SP, Meystre S, LaSalle B, Deshmukh V, Hunter C, Mineau GP, Facelli JC, Mitchell JA (2008). Utah's statewide informatics platform for translational and clinical science. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1114.
- Rausch T, Thomas A, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA, Facelli JC (2008). A parallel genetic algorithm to discover patterns in genetic markers that indicate predisposition to multifactorial disease. Comput Biol Med, 38(7), 826-36.
- Ma Z, Facelli JC, Pugmire RJ, Dunn BC, Turpin GC, Eyring EM, Ernst RD (2007). Solid-state 13C NMR and quantum chemical investigation of metal diene complexes. Magn Reson Chem, 45(5), 393-400.
- Ma Z, Halling MD, Solum MS, Harper JK, Orendt AM, Facelli JC, Pugmire RJ, Grant DM, Amick AW, Scott LT (2007). Ring current effects in crystals. Evidence from 13C chemical shift tensors for intermolecular shielding in 4,7-di-t-butylacenaphthene versus 4,7-di-t-butylacenaphthylene. J Phys Chem, 111(10), 2020-7.
- Truong TN, Nayak M, Huynh HH, Cook T, Mahajan P, Tran LT, Bharath J, Jain S, Pham HB, Boonyasiriwat C, Nguyen N, Andersen E, Kim Y, Choe S, Choi J, Cheatham TE 3rd, Facelli JC (2006). Computational Science and Engineering Online (CSE-Online): a cyber-infrastructure for scientific computing. J Chem Inf Model, 46(3), 971-84.
- Facelli JC (2006). Intermolecular shielding from molecular magnetic susceptibility. A new view of intermolecular ring current effects. Magn Reson Chem, 44(3), 401-8.
- Harper JK, Facelli JC, Barich DH, McGeorge G, Mulgrew AE, Grant DM (2002). 13C NMR investigation of solid-state polymorphism in 10-deacetyl baccatin III. J Am Chem Soc, 124(35), 10589-95.
- Stueber D, Orendt AM, Facelli JC, Parry RW, Grant DM (2002). Carbonates, thiocarbonates, and the corresponding monoalkyl derivatives: III. The 13C chemical shift tensors in potassium carbonate, bicarbonate and related monomethyl derivatives. Solid State Nucl Magn Reson, 22(1), 29-49.
- Facelli JC (1999). Nitrogen-15 chemical shifts in AT (adenine-thymine) and CG (cytosine-guanine) nucleic acid base pairs. J Biomol Struct Dyn, 16(3), 619-29.
- Grant DM, Liu F, Iuliucci RJ, Phung CG, Facelli JC, Alderman DW (1995). Relationship of 13C NMR chemical shift tensors to diffraction structures. Acta Crystallogr B, 51 ( Pt 4), 540-6.
- Facelli JC, Grant DM (1993). Determination of molecular symmetry in crystalline naphthalene using solid-state NMR. Nature, 365(6444), 325-7.
- Facelli JC, Grant DM (1993). Determination of molecular symmetry in crystalline naphthalene using solid-state NMR. Nature, 365(6444), 325-327.
- Asan Medical Center and Utah Department of Biomedical Informatics Sign MOU to Establish Research Partnership
- DBMI experts to present at AMA
- Julio Facelli, PhD selected as Chair for a Senate Committee
- Julio Facelli , PhD Fellow Induction
- U of U study could change the lives of kids with asthma
- Changing the Research Paradigm: Utah Scientists Launch Patient-Powered Air Pollution and Asthma Tracking Study
- Technology to Crowdsource Complex Triggers of Pediatric Asthma
- American College of Medical Informatics Honors Dr. Julio Facelli
- Biomedical Informatics Success at AMIA 2013 Annual Symposium, Washington, DC
- BMI Department 2013 Holiday Social