Kathi H. Mooney, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Departments: Nursing - Distinguished Professor
- Divisions: Acute and Chronic Care
Academic Office Information
College of Nursing
10 South 2000 East, Room: 5160
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Kathi Mooney, PhD, RN, FAAN, is a Distinguished Professor in the University of Utah College of Nursing and holds the Louis S. Peery and Janet B. Peery Presidential Endowed Chair in Nursing. She is an investigator at the Huntsman Cancer Institute, Interim Senior Director of Population Sciences, and co-leader of the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program. Her research interests focuses on cancer patient symptom management, technology-aided interventions, cancer family caregivers, and improving supportive care outcomes for cancer patients in rural/frontier communities.
Dr. Mooney received a master’s degree from the University of Washington and PhD from the University of Utah. She has been continuously funded by the National Cancer Institute since 2001.
- Blackburn BE, Soisson S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Fraser A, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Smith K, Herget K, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Werner TL, Gaffney D, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2019). Prognostic factors for rural endometrial cancer patients in a population-based cohort. BMC Public Health, 19(1), 921.
- Mooney K, Whisenant MS, Beck SL (2018). Symptom Care at Home: A Comprehensive and Pragmatic PRO System Approach to Improve Cancer Symptom Care. Med Care, 57 Suppl 5 Suppl 1, S66-S72.
- Reblin M, Baucom BRW, Clayton MF, Utz R, Caserta M, Lund D, Mooney K, Ellington L (2019). Communication of emotion in home hospice cancer care: Implications for spouse caregiver depression into bereavement. Psychooncology, 28(5), 1102-1109.
- Kraut J, Mooney K, Sweetenham JW, Page RD, Adelson K, Agarwala V, Fessele KL, Hamrick HJ, Kaganman I, Martineau J, Abernethy AP, Meropol NJ (2019). Implementing an Electronic End-of-Life Chemotherapy Utilization Measure. J Oncol Pract, 15(4), 220-223.
- Whisenant M, Wong B, Mitchell SA, Beck SL, Mooney K (2018). Symptom Trajectories Are Associated With Co-occurring Symptoms During Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 57(2), 183-189.
- Denlinger CS, Sanft T, Baker KS, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Hudson M, Khakpour N, King A, Koura D, Lally RM, Langbaum TS, McDonough AL, Melisko M, Montoya JG, Mooney K, Moslehi JJ, OConnor T, Overholser L, Paskett ED, Peppercorn J, Pirl W, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Silverman P, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Urba SG, Wakabayashi MT, Zee P, McMillian NR, Freedman-Cass DA (2018). Survivorship, Version 2.2018, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 16(10), 1216-1247.
- Park J, Blackburn BE, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Burt L, Werner T, Gaffney DK, Lopez AM, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2018). Rural-metropolitan disparities in ovarian cancer survival: a statewide population-based study. Ann Epidemiol, 28(6), 377-384.
- Kolb NA, Smith AG, Singleton JR, Beck SL, Howard D, Dittus K, Karafiath S, Mooney K (2017). Chemotherapy-related neuropathic symptom management: a randomized trial of an automated symptom-monitoring system paired with nurse practitioner follow-up. Support Care Cancer, 26(5), 1607-1615.
- Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Kim J, Millar M, Sweeney C, Herget K, Monroe M, Henry NL, Lopez AM, Mooney K (2018). Disparities in cancer survival and incidence by metropolitan versus rural residence in Utah. Cancer Med, 7(4), 1490-1497.
- Whisenant M, Wong B, Mitchell SA, Beck SL, Mooney K (2017). Distinct Trajectories of Fatigue and Sleep Disturbance in Women Receiving Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 44(6), 739-750.
- Beck SL, Eaton LH, Echeverria C, Mooney KH (2017). SymptomCare@Home: Developing an Integrated Symptom Monitoring and Management System for Outpatients Receiving Chemotherapy. Comput Inform Nurs, 35(10), 520-529.
- Denlinger CS, Sanft T, Baker KS, Baxi S, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Hudson M, Khakpour N, King A, Koura D, Kvale E, Lally RM, Langbaum TS, Melisko M, Montoya JG, Mooney K, Moslehi JJ, OConnor T, Overholser L, Paskett ED, Peppercorn J, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Silverman P, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Urba SG, Wakabayashi MT, Zee P, Freedman-Cass DA, McMillian NR (2017). Survivorship, Version 2.2017, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 15(9), 1140-1163.
- Walton AL, LePrevost CE, Linnan L, Sanchez-Birkhead A, Mooney K (2017). Benefits, Facilitators, Barriers, and Strategies to Improve Pesticide Protective Behaviors: Insights from Farmworkers in North Carolina Tobacco Fields. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 14(7).
- Mooney KH, Beck SL, Wong B, Dunson W, Wujcik D, Whisenant M, Donaldson G (2017). Automated home monitoring and management of patient-reported symptoms during chemotherapy: results of the symptom care at home RCT. Cancer Med, 6(3), 537-546.
- Cohen AL, Factor RE, Mooney K, Salama ME, Wade M, Serpico V, Ostrander E, Nelson E, Porretta J, Matsen C, Bernard P, Boucher K, Neumayer L (2016). POWERPIINC (PreOperative Window of Endocrine TheRapy Provides Information to Increase Compliance) trial: Changes in tumor proliferation index and quality of life with 7 days of preoperative tamoxifen. Breast, 31, 219-223.
- Walton AL, LePrevost C, Wong B, Linnan L, Sanchez-Birkhead A, Mooney K (2017). Pesticides: Perceived Threat and Protective Behaviors Among Latino Farmworkers. Journal of Agromedicine, 22(2), 140-147.
- Mooney K, Berry DL, Whisenant M, Sjoberg D (2017). Improving Cancer Care Through the Patient Experience: How to Use Patient-Reported Outcomes in Clinical Practice. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book, 37, 695-704.
- Berger AM, Mooney K (2016). Dissemination and Implementation of Guidelines for Cancer-Related Fatigue. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 14(11), 1336-1338.
- Reblin M, Ellington L, Clayton M, Caserta M, Lund D, Mooney K (2016). Emotional disclosure in home hospice cancer care: implications for spouse caregiver bereavement. Am J Clin Oncol, 34(26), 54.
- Reblin M, Donaldson G, Ellington L, Mooney K, Caserta M, Lund D (2015). Spouse cancer caregivers' burden and distress at entry to home hospice: The role of relationship quality. J Soc Pers Relat, 33(5), 666-686.
- Kolb NA, Smith AG, Singleton JR, Beck SL, Stoddard GJ, Brown S, Mooney K (2016). The Association of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Symptoms and the Risk of Falling. JAMA Neurol, 73(7), 860-6.
- Walton AL, LePrevost C, Wong B, Linnan L, Sanchez-Birkhead A, Mooney K (2016). Observed and self-reported pesticide protective behaviors of Latino migrant and seasonal farmworkers. Environ Res, 147, 275-83.
- Kepka D, Ding Q, Bodson J, Warner EL, Mooney K (2015). Latino Parents' Awareness and Receipt of the HPV Vaccine for Sons and Daughters in a State with Low Three-Dose Completion. J Cancer Educ, 30(4), 808-12.
- Berger AM, Mooney K, Alvarez-Perez A, Breitbart WS, Carpenter KM, Cella D, Cleeland C, Dotan E, Eisenberger MA, Escalante CP, Jacobsen PB, Jankowski C, LeBlanc T, Ligibel JA, Loggers ET, Mandrell B, Murphy BA, Palesh O, Pirl WF, Plaxe SC, Riba MB, Rugo HS, Salvador C, Wagner LI, Wagner-Johnston ND, Zachariah FJ, Bergman MA, Smith C, National comprehensive cancer network (2015). Cancer-Related Fatigue, Version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 13(8), 1012-39.
- Dulko D, Hertz E, Julien J, Beck S, Mooney K (2010). Implementation of cancer pain guidelines by acute care nurse practitioners using an audit and feedback strategy. J Am Acad Nurse Pract, 22(1), 45-55.
- Dulko D, Mooney K (2010). Effect of an audit and feedback intervention on hospitalized oncology patients' perception of nurse practitioner care. J Nurs Care Qual, 25(1), 87-93.
- Wujcik D, Shyr Y, Li M, Clayton MF, Ellington L, Menon U, Mooney K (2009). Delay in diagnostic testing after abnormal mammography in low-income women. Oncol Nurs Forum, 36(6), 709-15.
- Brown CG, McGuire DB, Peterson DE, Beck SL, Dudley WN, Mooney KH (2009). The experience of a sore mouth and associated symptoms in patients with cancer receiving outpatient chemotherapy. Cancer Nurs, 32(4), 259-70.
- Brown CG, Beck SL, Peterson DE, McGuire DB, Dudley WN, Mooney KH (2009). Patterns of sore mouth in outpatients with cancer receiving chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 17(4), 413-28.
- Lee-Lin F, Menon U, Pett M, Nail L, Lee S, Mooney K (2008). Measuring breast cancer and mammography screening beliefs among Chinese American immigrants. West J Nurs Res, 30(7), 852-68.
- Lee-Lin F, Menon U, Pett M, Nail L, Lee S, Mooney K (2007). Breast cancer beliefs and mammography screening practices among Chinese American immigrants. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 36(3), 212-21.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Health behaviors in cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 34(3), 643-51.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Screening practices in cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 1(1), 17-26.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Kreps GL, Menon U, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Cancer survivors information seeking behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancer. Patient Educ Couns, 65(3), 342-50.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Kreps GL, Menon U, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Cancer Survivors Information Seeking Behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancer. Patient Educ Couns, 65(3), 342-50.
- Ellington L, Wahab S, Sahami Martin S, Field R, Mooney KH (2006). Factors that influence Spanish- and English-speaking participants' decision to enroll in cancer randomized clinical trials. Psychooncology, 15(4), 273-84.
- Cangialose CB, Blair AE, Borchardt JS, Ades TB, Bennett CL, Dickersin K, Gesme DH Jr, Henderson IC, McGinnis LS Jr, Mooney K, Mortenson LE, Sperduto P, Winkenwerder W Jr, Ballard DJ (2000). Purchasing oncology services. Kerr L. White Institute/American Cancer Society Task Force on Purchasing Oncology Services. Cancer, 88(12), 2876-86.
- Mooney KH (1997). New tradition launched at congress. ONS News, 12(7), 7.
- Mooney KH (1997). New strategic plan developed to prepare ONS for the 21st century. ONS News, 12(1), 12.
Huntsman Cancer Institute News
- Study of Utah Cancer Care-at-Home Model Demonstrates Lower Costs, Better Outcomes
- Improving Cancer Care and Outcomes in Our Communities
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Announces Next Major Expansion: Cancer Care Coming to Patient Homes in Rural Utah
- Helping Patients Feel at Home
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Launches Innovative Service Providing Cancer Care at Home