Kathi H. Mooney, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Oncology Nursing
- Cancer Symptom Management
- Research Methods
- Nursing Leadership
- Ethics, Research
- Cancer Treatment Decision Making
- Departments: Nursing - Distinguished Professor
- Divisions: Acute and Chronic Care
- Cancer Center Programs: Cancer Control & Population Sciences
Academic Office Information
College of Nursing
10 South 2000 East, Room: 507
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Kathi Mooney, PhD, RN, FAAN, is a Distinguished Professor in the University of Utah College of Nursing and holds the Louis S. Peery and Janet B. Peery Presidential Endowed Chair in Nursing. She is an investigator at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and co-leader of the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program. Her research interests include cancer symptom management and outcomes of supportive care.Dr. Mooney has led studies to identify factors contributing to delay in breast cancer diagnosis in low-income and African-American women, a group which has a higher death rate from breast cancer. She has also examined improving oncology care and cancer pain management provided by nurse care practitioners, and she has explored ways to enhance the efficacy of hospice care and communication with cancer patients. Her work has also characterized the effect sore mouth (oral mucositis) has on the daily activity of cancer patients receiving outpatient chemotherapy.Mooney received a master’s degree from the University of Washington and PhD from the University of Utah. She has published numerous book chapters and journal articles and is a frequent speaker on topics related to cancer symptom management, quality cancer care, oncology nursing and leadership.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Washington
|Undergraduate||University of San Francisco
- Ellington L, Reblin M, Clayton MF, Berry P, Mooney K (2012). Hospice nurse communication with patients with cancer and their family caregivers. J Palliat Med, 15(3), 262-8.
- Gullatte MM, Brawley O, Kinney A, Powe B, Mooney K (2010). Religiosity, spirituality, and cancer fatalism beliefs on delay in breast cancer diagnosis in African American women. J Relig Health, 49(1), 62-72.
- Dulko D, Mooney K (2010). Effect of an audit and feedback intervention on hospitalized oncology patients' perception of nurse practitioner care. J Nurs Care Qual, 25(1), 87-93.
- Dulko D, Hertz E, Julien J, Beck S, Mooney K (2010). Implementation of cancer pain guidelines by acute care nurse practitioners using an audit and feedback strategy. J Am Acad Nurse Pract, 22(1), 45-55.
- Gullatte MM, Hardin P, Kinney A, Powe B, Mooney K (2009). Religious beliefs and delay in breast cancer diagnosis for self-detected breast changes in African-American women. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc, 20(1), 25-35.
- Brown CG, Beck SL, Peterson DE, McGuire DB, Dudley WN, Mooney KH (2009). Patterns of sore mouth in outpatients with cancer receiving chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 17(4), 413-28.
- Brown CG, McGuire DB, Peterson DE, Beck SL, Dudley WN, Mooney KH (2009). The experience of a sore mouth and associated symptoms in patients with cancer receiving outpatient chemotherapy. Cancer Nurs, 32(4), 259-70.
- Wujcik D, Shyr Y, Li M, Clayton MF, Ellington L, Menon U, Mooney K (2009). Delay in diagnostic testing after abnormal mammography in low-income women. Oncol Nurs Forum, 36(6), 709-15.
- Lee-Lin F, Menon U, Pett M, Nail L, Lee S, Mooney K (2008). Measuring breast cancer and mammography screening beliefs among Chinese American immigrants. West J Nurs Res, 30(7), 852-68.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Kreps GL, Menon U, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Cancer survivors information seeking behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancer. Patient Educ Couns, 65(3), 342-50.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Health behaviors in cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 34(3), 643-51.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Screening practices in cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 1(1), 17-26.
- Lee-Lin F, Menon U, Pett M, Nail L, Lee S, Mooney K (2007). Breast cancer beliefs and mammography screening practices among Chinese American immigrants. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 36(3), 212-21.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Kreps GL, Menon U, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH (2007). Cancer Survivors Information Seeking Behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancer. Patient Education and Counseling, 65(3), 342-50.
- Ellington L, Wahab S, Sahami Martin S, Field R, Mooney KH (2006). Factors that influence Spanish- and English-speaking participants' decision to enroll in cancer randomized clinical trials. Psychooncology, 15(4), 273-84.