Edward W. Nelson, MD
Vice-Chair, Department of Surgery
- Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer - Sentinel Node Procedure
- Surgical Education
- Clinical Outcomes
- Breast Cancer - Diagnostic Techniques
- Health Outcomes
- Departments: Surgery - Professor
- Divisions: General Surgery
- American Board of Surgery (Sub: General Surgery)
- National Board of Medical Examiners
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E, Room: 3B110
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Edward W. Nelson is the Chief of the General Surgery Division and Professor in the Department of Surgery. A major focus of Dr. Nelson’s practice is the surgical treatment of breast cancer. Dr. Nelson was instrumental in creating the multi-disciplinary Comprehensive Breast Care Center and serves as the Co-Director of the Multi-Disciplinary Team treating breast cancer at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and Hospital. An early proponent of the sentinel lymph node biopsy procedure for breast cancer, Dr. Nelson was the University of Utah principal investigator in two national trials, the NSABP B-32 and the ACOSOG Z0010 and Z0011 studies. For 30 years, Dr. Nelson performed kidney transplants for children and adults, and was largely responsible for sustaining the kidney transplant program while encouraging the growth of the transplantation program at the University of Utah. Dr. Nelson is also highly proficient with open and laparoscopic surgery approaches in the diagnosis and repair of hernias, diseases of the parathyroid, and those illnesses in which a splenectomy is required.
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Residency||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Internship||L.A. County Harbor
|Professional Medical||University of Utah Hospital School of Medicine
|Undergraduate||Arizona State University
- Scaife CL, Mone MC, Bowen ME, Swords DS, Zhang C, Presson AP, Nelson EW (2018). Perioperative antibiotics should be used for placement of implanted central venous ports: A propensity analysis evaluating risk. Am J Surg, 216(6), 1135-1143.
- Scaife CL, Mone MC, Bowen ME, Swords DS, Zhang C, Presson AP, Nelson EW (10/01/2018). Perioperative antibiotics should be used for placement of implanted central venous ports: A propensity analysis evaluating risk. Am J Surg.
- Bowen ME, Mone MC, Buys SS, Sheng X, Nelson EW (2016). Surgical Outcomes for Mastectomy Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy: A Propensity-Matched Analysis. Ann Surg, 265(3), 448-456.
- Bowen ME, Mone MC, Buys SS, Sheng X, Nelson EW (2017). Surgical Outcomes for Mastectomy Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy: A Propensity-Matched Analysis. Ann Surg, 265(3), 448-456.
- Cohen AL, Factor RE, Mooney K, Salama ME, Wade M, Serpico V, Ostrander E, Nelson E, Porretta J, Matsen C, Bernard P, Boucher K, Neumayer L (2016). POWERPIINC (PreOperative Window of Endocrine TheRapy Provides Information to Increase Compliance) trial: Changes in tumor proliferation index and quality of life with 7 days of preoperative tamoxifen. Breast, 31, 219-223.
- Russell KW, Mone MC, Serpico VJ, Ward C, Lynch J, Neumayer LA, Nelson EW (2014). Optimal utilization of a breast care advanced practice clinician. Am J Surg, 208(6), 1054-9; discussion 1058-9.
- Bowen ME, Mone MC, Nelson EW, Scaife CL (2014). Image-guided placement of long-term central venous catheters reduces complications and cost. Am J Surg, 208(6), 937-41; discussion 941.
- Nelson ET, Gross ME, Mone MC, Hansen HJ, Nelson EW, Scaife CL (2013). A survey of American College of Surgery fellows evaluating their use of antibiotic prophylaxis in the placement of subcutaneously implanted central venous access ports. Am J Surg, 206(6), 1034-9; discussion 1039-40.
- Nelson EW, Mone MC, Nelson ET, Hansen HJ, Gawlick U, Alder S (2013). Evolution of trends in the live kidney transplant donor-recipient relationship. Transplant Proc, 45(1), 57-64.
- Nelson EW, Gross ME, Mone MC, Hansen HJ, Sheng X, Cannon KM, Alder S (2011). Does ultrasonic energy for surgical dissection reduce the incidence of renal transplant lymphocele? Transplant Proc, 43(10), 3755-9.
- DeRose YS, Wang G, Lin YC, Bernard PS, Buys SS, Ebbert MT, Factor R, Matsen C, Milash BA, Nelson E, Neumayer L, Randall RL, Stijleman IJ, Welm BE, Welm AL (2011). Tumor grafts derived from women with breast cancer authentically reflect tumor pathology, growth, metastasis and disease outcomes. Nat Med, 17(11), 1514-20.
- Agarwal S, Nelson EW, Agarwal JP (2011). Local recurrence of breast cancer 52 years after halsted mastectomy: is there a role for more aggressive ipsilateral surveillance? Case Reports in Oncological Medicine, 2011, 107370.
- Scaife CL, Gross ME, Mone MC, Hansen HJ, Litz CL, Nelson ET, Anderson CJ, Wagner G, Gawlick U, Nelson EW (2010). Antibiotic prophylaxis in the placement of totally implanted central venous access ports. Am J Surg, 200(6), 719-22; disussion 722-3.
- Gawlick U, Mone MC, Nelson ET, Hansen HJ, Nelson EW (2010). Success in sentinel lymph node procedures in obese patients with breast cancer. Am J Surg, 200(6), 707-10; discussion 710-1.
- Gawlick U, Mone MC, Hansen HJ, Connors RC, Nelson EW (2008). Selective use of intraoperative sentinel lymph node pathological evaluation in breast cancer. Am J Surg, 196(6), 851-5; discussion 855-6.
- Hu Z, Fan C, Oh DS, Marron JS, He X, Qaqish BF, Livasy C, Carey LA, Reynolds E, Dressler L, Nobel A, Parker J, Ewend MG, Sawyer LR, Wu J, Liu Y, Nanda R, Tretiakova M, Ruiz Orrico A, Dreher D, Palazzo JP, Perreard L, Nelson E, Mone M, Hansen H, Mullins M, Quackenbush JF, Ellis MJ, Olopade OI, Bernard PS, Perou CM (2006). The molecular portraits of breast tumors are conserved across microarray platforms. BMC Genomics, 7, 96.
- Buchanan C, Smith L, Corbett J, Nelson E, Shihab F (2006). A retrospective analysis of ezetimibe treatment in renal transplant recipients. Am J Transplant, 6(4), 770-4.
- Perreard L, Fan C, Quackenbush JF, Mullins M, Gauthier NP, Nelson E, Mone M, Hansen H, Buys SS, Rasmussen K, Orrico AR, Dreher D, Walters R, Parker J, Hu Z, He X, Palazzo JP, Olopade OI, Szabo A, Perou CM, Bernard PS (2006). Classification and risk stratification of invasive breast carcinomas using a real-time quantitative RT-PCR assay. Breast Cancer Res, 8(2), R23.
- Nolan KD, Mone MC, Nelson EW (2005). Plasma cell neoplasms. Review of disease progression and report of a new variant. Surg Oncol, 14(2), 85-90.
- Privette A, Fenton SJ, Mone MC, Kennedy AM, Nelson EW (2005). Desmoid tumor: a case of mistaken identity. Breast J, 11(1), 60-4.
- Bailey SH, Mone MC, Holman JM, Nelson EW (2003). Laparoscopic treatment of post renal transplant lymphoceles. Surg Endosc, 17(12), 1896-9.
- Crompton JA, Somerville T, Smith L, Corbett J, Nelson E, Holman J, Shihab FS (2003). Lack of economic benefit with basiliximab induction in living related donor adult renal transplant recipients. Pharmacotherapy, 23(4), 443-50.
- Bailey SH, Mone MC, Nelson EW (2002). Transplantation of crossed fused ectopic kidneys into a single recipient. J Am Coll Surg, 194(2), 147-50.
- Moore M, Burak WE Jr, Nelson E, Kearney T, Simmons R, Mayers L, Spotnitz WD (2001). Fibrin sealant reduces the duration and amount of fluid drainage after axillary dissection: a randomized prospective clinical trial. J Am Coll Surg, 192(5), 591-9.
- Nelson EW, Mone MC (1999). Splenectomy in high-risk patients with splenomegaly. Am J Surg, 178(6), 581-6.
- Winslow GA, Nelson EW (1995). Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: indications for and results of splenectomy. Am J Surg, 170(6), 558-61; discussion 561-3.
- Nelson, EW (2007). Blueprints in Surgery - Steps 2-3 Question Series (First Edition). New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Nelson EW (Ed.) (2005). Blueprints in Surgery - Steps 2-3 Question Series,. (2nd Edition). Blackwell Science.
- Nelson EW (2009). Prolene Hernia System - Hernia Repair. In Stephen RT Evans (Ed.), Surgical Pitfalls: Prevention and Management. Saunders Elsevier.
- Serpico V, Mone MC, Zhang C, Presson AP, Matsen C, Junkins S, Killian H, Porretta J, Agarwal J, Nelson EW (10/01/2018). Value Driven Outcomes: Standardizing Pain Management to Reduce Postoperative Opiates for Patients Undergoing Mastectomy with Immediate Reconstruction [Abstract]. JACS.