Katherine A. Sward, PhD, RN
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Associate Professor, Nursing - Professor
- Divisions: Health Systems and Community-Based Care
Academic Office Information
421 Wakara Way, Room: Suite 208 Room 2011
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Katherine (Kathy) Sward is an Associate Professor in Nursing and adjunct Associate Professor in Biomedical Informatics. She worked clinically as a nurse before obtaining MS and PhD degrees and moving to an academic role, specializing in biomedical informatics/nursing informatics. She has deep familiarity with clinical and translational research and team science, and more than 10 years experience with informatics methods, processes, tools, workflows, and artifacts to support complex and multi-center trials. She has led complex research projects and academic teams. She serves as Co-Investigator for the Utah Trial Innovation Center (U24TR001597; PI Dean) and for the Utah Data Coordinating Center (U01HD049934; PI Dean). In those roles, she leads efforts for data harmonization, information management, and informatics. She is the contact PI for the NIBIB funded PRISMS Informatics Platform – Federated Integration Architecture center (U54EB021973), part of a national initiative to examine the effects of the environment on health and to incorporate sensors into clinical research. Dr. Sward also has extensive teaching and curriculum development experience and has mentored more than 50 graduate students and faculty. She currently teaches a variety of informatics courses and nursing research courses.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
Nursing, Nursing Informatics
|Undergraduate||Westminster College of Salt Lake City
|Diploma||Lutheran Hospital School for Nurses
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Cummins MR (2019). Navigating the Search for Patient Generated Health Data. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264, 1992.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Koebnick C, He S, Au DH, Sheng X, Murtaugh MA, Sward KA, Schatz M, Zeiger RS, Davidson GH, Nkoy FL (2019). Using Temporal Features to Provide Data-Driven Clinical Early Warnings for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma Care Management: Protocol for a Secondary Analysis. JMIR Res Protoc, 8(6), e13783.
- Furlong-Dillard JM, Miller BJ, Sward KA, Neary AI, Hardin-Reynolds TL, Jeffers G, Clay BA, Truong DT, Miller TA, Jones CE, Lambert LM, Bailly DK (2019). The association between feeding protocol compliance and weight gain following high-risk neonatal cardiac surgery. Cardiol Young, 29(5), 594-601.
- Kalsy M, Lin JH, Bray BE, Sward KA (2018). Role of Nursing Informatics in the Automation of Pneumonia Quality Measure Data Elements. Comput Inform Nurs, 36(10), 475-483.
- Sward KA, Newth CJL, Khemani RG, Page K, Meert KL, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Dalton HJ, Wessel DL, Berger JT, Berg RA, Harrison RE, Doctor A, Dean JM, Holobkov R, Jenkins TL, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Potential Acceptability of a Pediatric Ventilator Management Computer Protocol. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 18(11), 1027-1034.
- Newth CJL, Sward KA, Khemani RG, Page K, Meert KL, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Dalton HJ, Wessel DL, Berger JT, Berg RA, Harrison RE, Holubkov R, Doctor A, Dean JM, Jenkins TL, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Variability in Usual Care Mechanical Ventilation for Pediatric Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Time for a Decision Support Protocol? Pediatr Crit Care Med, 18(11), e521-e529.
- Newth CJL, Khemani RG, Jouvet PA, Sward KA (2017). Mechanical Ventilation and Decision Support in Pediatric Intensive Care. Pediatr Clin North Am, 64(5), 1057-1070.
- Lyons AM, Sward KA, Deshmukh VG, Pett MA, Donaldson GW, Turnbull J (2015). Impact of computerized provider order entry (CPOE) on length of stay and mortality. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 24(2), 303-309.
- Hirshberg EL, Lanspa MJ, Wilson EL, Sward KA, Jephson A, Larsen GY, Morris AH (2017). A Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Bedside Computer Clinical Decision Support Protocol for Hyperglycemia Is Feasible, Safe and Offers Advantages. Diabetes Technol Ther, 19(3), 188-193.
- Sward KA, Newth CJL (2015). Computerized Decision Support Systems for Mechanical Ventilation in Children. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 5(3), 95-100.
- Sward KA, Rubin S, Jenkins TL, Newth CJ, Dean JM, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NICHD Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Case Study: Semantic Annotation of a Pediatric Critical Care Research Study. Comput Inform Nurs, 34(3), 101-4.
- Frey LJ, Sward KA, Newth CJ, Khemani RG, Cryer ME, Thelen JL, Enriquez R, Shaoyu S, Pollack MM, Harrison RE, Meert KL, Berg RA, Wessel DL, Shanley TP, Dalton H, Carcillo J, Jenkins TL, Dean JM (2015). Virtualization of open-source secure web services to support data exchange in a pediatric critical care research network. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 22(6), 1271-6.
- Iribarren SJ, Sward KA, Beck SL, Pearce PF, Thurston D, Chirico C (2015). Qualitative evaluation of a text messaging intervention to support patients with active tuberculosis: implementation considerations. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, 3(1), e21.
- Guo JW, Sward K, Beck S, Wong B, Staggers N, Frey L (2014). Using a content analysis to identify study eligibility criteria concepts in cancer nursing research. Comput Inform Nurs, 32(7), 333-42.
- Guo JW, Sward KA, Beck SL, Staggers N (2014). Quality of reporting randomized controlled trials in cancer nursing research. Nurs Res, 63(1), 26-35.
- Hirshberg EL, Sward KA, Faustino EV, Nadkarni VM, Agus MS, Morris AH, Lacroix J (2013). Clinical equipoise regarding glycemic control: a survey of pediatric intensivist perceptions. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 14(2), 123-9.
- Newth CJ, Meert KL, Clark AE, Moler FW, Zuppa AF, Berg RA, Pollack MM, Sward KA, Berger JT, Wessel DL, Harrison RE, Reardon J, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Doctor A, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (2012). Fatal and near-fatal asthma in children: the critical care perspective. J Pediatr, 161(2), 214-21.e3.
- Blagev DP, Hirshberg EL, Sward K, Thompson BT, Brower R, Truwit J, Hite D, Steingrub J, Orme JF Jr, Clemmer TP, Weaver LK, Thomas F, Grissom CK, Sorenson D, Sittig DF, Wallace CJ, East TD, Warner HR, Morris AH (2012). The evolution of eProtocols that enable reproducible clinical research and care methods. J Clin Monit Comput, 26(4), 305-17.
- Jung CY, Sward KA, Haug PJ (2012). Executing medical logic modules expressed in ArdenML using Drools. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 19(4), 533-6.
- Khemani RG, Sward K, Morris A, Dean JM, Newth CJ (2011). Variability in usual care mechanical ventilation for pediatric acute lung injury: the potential benefit of a lung protective computer protocol. Intensive Care Med, 37(11), 1840-8.
- Matney S, Brewster PJ, Sward KA, Cloyes KG, Staggers N (2011). Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom framework. ANS Adv Nurs Sci, 34(1), 6-18.
- Sward KA, Richardson S, Kendrick J, Maloney C (2008). Use of a Web-based game to teach pediatric content to medical students. Ambul Pediatr, 8(6), 354-9.
- Sward K, Orme J Jr, Sorenson D, Baumann L, Morris AH (2008). Reasons for declining computerized insulin protocol recommendations: application of a framework. J Biomed Inform, 41(3), 488-97.
- Sorenson D, Grissom CK, Carpenter L, Austin A, Sward K, Napoli L, Warner HR, Morris AH (2008). A frame-based representation for a bedside ventilator weaning protocol. J Biomed Inform, 41(3), 461-8.
- Hirshberg E, Lacroix J, Sward K, Willson D, Morris AH (2008). Blood glucose control in critically ill adults and children: a survey on stated practice. Chest, 133(6), 1328-35.
- Thompson BT, Orme JF, Zheng H, Luckett PM, Truwit JD, Willson DF, Duncan Hite R, Brower RG, Bernard GR, Curley MA, Steingrub JS, Sorenson DK, Sward K, Hirshberg E, Morris AH (2008). Multicenter validation of a computer-based clinical decision support tool for glucose control in adult and pediatric intensive care units. J Diabetes Sci Technol, 2(3), 357-68.
- Phansalkar S, Sward KA, Weir CR, Morris AH (2007). Mapping clinicians' perceptions about computerized protocol use to an IT implementation framework. Medinfo, 129(Pt 2), 1098-101.
- Kathy Sward, Named One of Four U Presidential Scholars
- DBMI experts to present at AMA
- Katherine Sward, PhD, RN Katherine Sward, PhD Fellow Induction
- Reed Gardner Award goes to Kathy Sward, PhD, RN
- U of U study could change the lives of kids with asthma
- Technology to Crowdsource Complex Triggers of Pediatric Asthma