Allison H. Payne, PhD
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging - MRI
- Image-Guided High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy
- Departments: Bioengineering - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Radiology and Imaging Sciences - Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Radiology Research
Academic Office Information
Imaging and Neurosciences Center
Radiology and Imaging Sciences
729 Arapeen Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
I am a mechanical engineer with expertise in thermal therapies; specifically magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound. My research contributes to the translation and dissemination of this exciting technology through the development of new hardware, advanced treatment planning and monitoring and assessment techniques. During the past 10 years, I have led the team that designed a constructed a breast-specific MRgFUS system that is currently in clinical trials in Europe for treating breast cancer. I have additional expertise in mechanical design, MR imaging, temperature measurement, acoustic radiation force imaging and acoustic modeling.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
- Svedin BT, Payne A, Parker DL (2019). Simultaneous proton resonance frequency shift thermometry and T1 measurements using a single reference variable flip angle T1 method. Magn Reson Med, 81(5), 3138-3152.
- Hofstetter LW, Odeen H, Bolster BD Jr, Mueller A, Christensen DA, Payne A, Parker DL (2019). Efficient shear wave elastography using transient acoustic radiation force excitations and MR displacement encoding.LID - 10.1002/mrm.27647 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Magn Reson Med.
- Svedin BT, Payne A, Bolster BD Jr, Parker DL (2017). Multiecho pseudo-golden angle stack of stars thermometry with high spatial and temporal resolution using k-space weighted image contrast.LID - 10.1002/mrm.26797 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Magn Reson Med.
- Frazier N, Payne A, Dillon C, Subrahmanyam N, Ghandehari H (2017). Enhanced efficacy of combination heat shock targeted polymer therapeutics with high intensity focused ultrasound. Nanomedicine, 13(3), 1235-1243.
- Shea J, de Bever J, Kholmovski E, Beal H, Hadley JR, Minalga E, Salama ME, Marrouche NF, Payne A (2017). Effect of applied energy in renal sympathetic denervation with magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound in a porcine model. J Ther Ultrasound, 5, 16.
- Frazier N, Payne A, de Bever J, Dillon C, Panda A, Subrahmanyam N, Ghandehari H (2016). High intensity focused ultrasound hyperthermia for enhanced macromolecular delivery. J Control Release, 241, 186-193.
- Farrer AI, Almquist S, Dillon CR, Neumayer LA, Parker DL, Christensen DA, Payne A (2016). Phase aberration simulation study of MRgFUS breast treatments. Med Phys, 43(3), 1374-84.
- Dillon CR, Borasi G, Payne A (2016). Analytical estimation of ultrasound properties, thermal diffusivity, and perfusion using magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound temperature data. Phys Med Biol, 61(2), 923-36.
- Koopmann M, Shea J, Kholmovski E, de Bever J, Minalga E, Holbrook M, Merrill R, Hadley JR, Owan T, Salama ME, Marrouche NF, Payne A (2016). Renal sympathetic denervation using MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound in a porcine model. J Ther Ultrasound, 4, 3.
- Dillon C, Roemer R, Payne A (2015). Magnetic resonance temperature imaging-based quantification of blood flow-related energy losses. NMR Biomed, 28(7), 840-51.
- Payne A, de Bever J, Farrer A, Coats B, Parker DL, Christensen DA (2015). A simulation technique for 3D MR-guided acoustic radiation force imaging. Med Phys, 42(2), 674-84.
- Payne A, Todd N, Minalga E, Wang Y, Diakite M, Hadley R, Merrill R, Factor R, Neumayer L, Parker DL (2013). In vivo evaluation of a breast-specific magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound system in a goat udder model. Med Phys, 40(7), 073302.
- Minalga E, Payne A, Merrill R, Todd N, Vijayakumar S, Kholmovski E, Parker DL, Hadley JR (2013). An 11-channel radio frequency phased array coil for magnetic resonance guided high-intensity focused ultrasound of the breast. Magn Reson Med, 69(1), 295-302.
- Todd N, Diakite M, Payne A, Parker DL (2013). Hybrid proton resonance frequency/T1 technique for simultaneous temperature monitoring in adipose and aqueous tissues. Magn Reson Med, 69(1), 62-70.
- Payne A, Merrill R, Minalga E, Vyas U, de Bever J, Todd N, Hadley R, Dumont E, Neumayer L, Christensen D, Roemer R, Parker D (2012). Design and characterization of a laterally mounted phased-array transducer breast-specific MRgHIFU device with integrated 11-channel receiver array. Med Phys, 39(3), 1552-60.
- Payne A, Vyas U, Todd N, de Bever J, Christensen DA, Parker DL (2011). The effect of electronically steering a phased array ultrasound transducer on near-field tissue heating. Med Phys, 38(9), 4971-81.
- Todd N, Adluru G, Payne A, DiBella EV, Parker D (2009). Temporally constrained reconstruction applied to MRI temperature data. Magn Reson Med, 62(2), 406-19.
- A. Payne, J.R. Hadley, R. Merrill, E. Minalga, D. Parker, L. Lighty (2019). Therapeutic Ultrasound Breast Treatment. U.S. Patent No. 00846-U5763.PCT. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- (2019). Simultaneous proton resonance frequency shift thermometry and T1 measurements using a single reference variable flip angle method.
- Parker DL, Payne A, de Bever J, Christensen DA (2019). Elastography imaging with magnetic resonance imaging guided focused ultrasound. U.S. Patent No. 16/070,237. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Marrouche N, Parker D, Payne A (2015). Image-Guided TIssue Ablation. U.S. Patent No. 14/709,366. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.