Bonnie J. Baty, MS, CGC
- Departments: Pediatrics - Professor (Clinical) Emeritus
- Divisions: Pediatric Genetics
- American Board of Genetic Counseling
- American Board of Medical Genetics
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Professor Baty established genetic counseling services at the University of Utah and has practiced as a genetic counselor for over 4 decades. Her research interests include genetic counseling education and practice, the natural history of genetic conditions, and professional development. She directed the Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling from 2005-2016. She received the Natalie Weissberger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Society of Genetic Counselors in 2010 and the University of Utah Distinguished Teaching Award in 2012. She is currently Professor Emerita in the Department of Pediatrics and Genetic Counselor Emerita at Primary Children's Hospital. Since retirement, she has remained active by teaching classes and supervising student research in the Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling, serving on multiple national advisory boards and committees, reviewing and editing, conducting qualitative research studies, publishing journal articles and book chapters, and co-cofounding the National Society of Genetic Counselors Late Career Special Interest Group.
|Other Training||University of Utah, David Eccles School of Business
Physician Executive Course
|Graduate Training||Rutgers University
|Internship||University of Colorado
|Undergraduate||Douglass College of Rutgers University
- Baty BJ (2018). Genetic counseling: Growth of the profession and the professional.LID - 10.1002/ajmg.c.31601 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet.
- Ellington L, Maxwel A, Baty BJ, Roter D, Dudley WN, Kinney AY (2007). Genetic counseling communication with an African American BRCA1 kindred. Soc Sci Med, 64(3), 724-34.
- Baty BJ (2010). Working with patient anger. In LeRoy B, Veach PM, Bartels D (Eds.), Genetic Counseling Practice: Advanced Concepts and Skills. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons.
- Baty BJ, Carey JC, McMahon WM (2010). Neurobehavioral disorders and medical genetics: an overview. In Goldstein S, Reynolds CR (Eds.), Handbook of Neurodevelopmental and Genetic Disorders in Children (2nd edition). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Baty BJ (2009). Risk communication and decision making. In Baker DL, Schuette JL, Uhlmann WR (Eds.), A Guide to Genetic Counseling (2nd edition). New York, NY: Wiley-Liss.