Bonnie J. Baty, M.S., CGC
- Departments: Pediatrics - Professor (Clinical) Emeritus
- Divisions: Pediatric Genetics
- American Board of Genetic Counseling
- American Board of Medical Genetics
Academic Office Information
- (801) 581-8943
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Professor Baty established genetic counseling services at the University of Utah and has practiced as a genetic counselor for over 4 decades. Her research interests include genetic counseling education and practice and natural history of genetic conditions. She established and directed the Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling from 2005 to 2016. She received Natalie Weissberger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Society of Genetic Counselors in 2011, the University of Utah Distinguished Teaching Award in 2012, and is a Fellow in the Academy of Health Science Educators. She chairs the national Committee for Advanced Training for Certified Genetic Counselors (CATCGC) and is series editor for an Oxford University Press series Genetic Counseling in Practice. She is currently Professor Emerita in the Department of Pediatrics.
|Other Training||University of Utah, David Eccles School of Business
Physician Executive Course
|Graduate Training||Rutgers University
|Internship||University of Colorado
|Undergraduate||Douglass College of Rutgers University
- Genetic counseling communication with an African American BRCA1 kindred.Ellington L, Maxwel A, Baty BJ, Roter D, Dudley WN, Kinney AY (2007). Genetic counseling communication with an African American BRCA1 kindred. Soc Sci Med, 64(3), 724-34.
- Baty BJ, Carey JC, McMahon WM (2010). Neurobehavioral disorders and medical genetics: an overview. In Goldstein S, Reynolds CR (Eds.), Handbook of Neurodevelopmental and Genetic Disorders in Children (2nd edition). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Baty BJ (2010). Working with patient anger. In LeRoy B, Veach PM, Bartels D (Eds.), Genetic Counseling Practice: Advanced Concepts and Skills. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons.
- Baty BJ (2009). Risk communication and decision making. In Baker DL, Schuette JL, Uhlmann WR (Eds.), A Guide to Genetic Counseling (2nd edition). New York, NY: Wiley-Liss.