Marcia L. Feldkamp, PA, MSPH, PhD
- Departments: Pediatrics - Research Professor
- Divisions: Pediatric Genetics
Academic Office Information
Division of Medical Genetics
295 Chipeta Way, Room: 2C 412
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Feldkamp is an Associate Professor in the Division of Medical Genetics in the Department of Pediatrics. Her interest and career in birth defect epidemiology began while working as a physician assistant and caring for women of reproductive age. Due to the limitations of existing data in Utah, Dr. Feldkamp led the efforts to develop a clinically based birth defects surveillance system within the Utah Department of Health in order to conduct the necessary research to improve our understanding of pathogenesis and etiology. The Utah Birth Defect Network (UBDN) is a surveillance system that is population-based, statewide, and operates through active case-ascertainment of birth defects. The UBDN’s surveillance system is in the Utah Department of Health and its research team within the Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Dr. Feldkamp was one of several founding members of the National Birth Defects Prevention Network in 1997 and became President of this organization in 2005. This Network is a cohesive group of individuals from states in the US that are interested in birth defects surveillance, research, and prevention. In 2006, Dr. Feldkamp developed a course on clinical epidemiology for the master’s level genetic counseling program in the Department of Human Genetics. Dr. Feldkamp is the PI of the Utah Center for Birth Defects Research and Prevention as part of the CDC’s National Birth Defects Prevention Study (NBDPS), a large multi-center case-control study aimed at identifying the causes of birth defects. She is also the PI of a CDC funded study to develop a prospective assessment of the development, health and condition progression in young children with spina bifida. Dr. Feldkamp’s primary interest is focused on understanding the mechanisms and causes leading to gastroschisis, a severe birth defect of the abdominal wall. She has published numerous articles on this topic and continues to investigate the potential genetic and environmental causes of gastroschisis.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah, School of Medicine, Department of Family and Preventative Medicine
Public Health - Reseach
|Certification||Erasmus Medical College
Summer Program in Epidemiology
|Certification||University of Washington
Summer Program in Statistical Genetics
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
Public Health - Epidemiology
|Other Training||University of Massachusetts
|Internship||Utah Department of Health
Epidemiology, Public Health
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
|Professional Other||University of Utah
|Internship||Foothill Family Clinic
|Undergraduate||Northern Michigan University
|Certification||Erasmus Medical College
Summer Program in Epidemiology
- Feldkamp ML, Reefhuis J, Kucik J, Krikov S, Wilson A, Moore CA, Carey JC, Botto LD (2008 Jun 21). Case-control study of self reported genitourinary infections and risk of gastroschisis: findings from the national birth defects prevention study, 1997-2003. BMJ, 336(7658), 1420-3.
- Kirby RS, Feldkamp M (2006 Nov). Population perspective on birth defects: from surveillance to epidemiology to public health. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol, 76(11), 745-6.
- Feldkamp M, Macleod L, Young L, Lecheminant K, Carey JC (2005 Oct). The methodology of the Utah Birth Defect Network: congenital heart defects as an illustration. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol, 73(10), 693-9.
- Johnson PA, Stadler DD, Feldkamp M, Webber B (2002 Mar). Impact of an educational seminar on high school students' knowledge of folic acid supplementation and its role in the prevention of birth defects. J Am Diet Assoc, 102(3 Suppl), S78-81.
- Feldkamp M, Friedrichs M, Carey JC (2002). Decreasing prevalence of neural tube defects in Utah, 1985-2000. Teratology, 66 Suppl 1, S23-8.
- Walker SJ, Ball RH, Babcook CJ, Feldkamp ML (2001-01-01). The Prevalence of Aneuploidy and Additional Anatomic Abnormalities in Fetuses / Neonates with Cleft Lip with or without Cleft Palate - Population-based Study in Utah. J Ultrasound Med, 20(11), 1175-80.
- Walker SJ, Ball RH, Babcook CJ, Feldkamp ML (2001). The Prevalence of Aneuploidy and Additional Anatomic Abnormalities in Fetuses/Neonates with Cleft Lip with or without Cleft Palate - A Population-Based Study in Utah. J Ultrasound Med, 20(11), 1175-1180.
- Babcook CJ, Ball RH, Feldkamp ML (2000 Sep). Prevalence of aneuploidy and additional anatomic abnormalities in fetuses with open spina bifida: population based study in Utah. J Ultrasound Med, 19(9), 619-23; quiz 625-6.
- Kulin NA, Pastuszak A, Sage SR, Schick-Boschetto B, Spivey G, Feldkamp M, Ormond K, Matsui D, Stein-Schechman AK, Cook L, Brochu J, Rieder M, Koren G (1998 Feb 25). Pregnancy outcome following maternal use of the new selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: a prospective controlled multicenter study. JAMA, 279(8), 609-10.
- Feldkamp M, Lyon KJ, Ornoy A, Pastuszak A, Rosenwasser S, Schick B, Bar J (1997-03-21). ACE Inhibitor Use in the First Trimester of Pregnancy. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ, 46(11), 240-2.
- Lindsay R, Feldkamp M, Harris D, Robertson J, Rallison M (1994 Jul). Utah Growth Study: growth standards and the prevalence of growth hormone deficiency. J Pediatr, 125(1), 29-35.
- Pastuszak AL, Levy M, Schick B, Zuber C, Feldkamp M, Gladstone J, Bar-Levy F, Jackson E, Donnenfeld A, Meschino W, et al (1994 Mar 31). Outcome after maternal varicella infection in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. N Engl J Med, 330(13), 901-5.
- Pastuszak A, Schick-Boschetto B, Zuber C, Feldkamp M, Pinelli M, Sihn S, Donnenfeld A, McCormack M, Leen-Mitchell M, Woodland C, et al (1993 May 5). Pregnancy outcome following first-trimester exposure to fluoxetine (Prozac). JAMA, 269(17), 2246-8.
- Vaidya S, Tyring SK, Feldkamp M, Johnson LB, Fine JD (1991 May). HLA and epidermolysis bullosa: evidence for independent assortment of Weber-Cockayne subtype of epidermolysis bullosa and HLA complex. J Dermatol Sci, 2(3), 155-60.
- Ahmed I, Piepkorn MW, Rabkin MS, Meyer LJ, Feldkamp M, Goldgar DE, Skolnick MH, Zone JJ (1990 May). Histopathologic characteristics of dysplastic nevi. Limited association of conventional histologic criteria with melanoma risk group. J Am Acad Dermatol, 22(5 Pt 1), 727-33.
- Feldkamp ML, Carey JC, Sadler TW (2007 Apr 1). Development of gastroschisis: review of hypotheses, a novel hypothesis, and implications for research. [Review]. Am J Med Genet A, 143(7), 639-52.
- Feldkamp M, Carey JC (1993 Jun). Clinical teratology counseling and consultation case report: low dose methotrexate exposure in the early weeks of pregnancy. [Review]. Teratology, 47(6), 533-9.
- Byrne JL, Feldkamp ML (2008 Apr). Seven-week embryo with gastroschisis, multiple anomalies, and physiologic hernia suggests early onset of gastroschisis. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol, 82(4), 236-8.
- Feldkamp M, Friedrichs M, Marti K (2002 Jan 1). Folic acid awareness, knowledge, and consumption among women of childbearing age in Utah, 1998-2000 [Letter to the editor]. Am J Med Genet, 107(1), 67-9.
- Robertson J, Feldkamp M, Jennings J, Leen-Mitchell M, Martinez L, Carey JC (1998 Sep). Maternal alcohol and caffeine consumption and spontaneous abortion [Letter to the editor]. Epidemiology, 9(5), 583-4.
- Carey J, Palumbos J, Martinez L, Feldkamp M, Lockey J (1987-01-01). Familial Gastroschisis [Abstract]. Proc Greenwood Genet, 6, 130-1.
- Carey JC, Feldkamp ML, Leen-Mitchell M, Robertson J, Martinez L (2001-01-01). Pruega de Teratogenicidat en Humanos: Una Propuesta Para Discusion. Boletin del ECEMC (Series IV(6), pp. 15-21).
- Carey JC, Feldkamp M, Leen-Mitchell M, Robertson J, Martinez L (2001-01-01). Proof of Human Teratogenicity: A Proposal for Discussion. Estudio Colaborativo Espanol de Malformaciones Congenitas (ECEMC).
- Feldkamp M, Jennings J, Carey J (1995-01-01). Aspirin: A Review of the Epidemiology and Experimental Evidence of Teratogenicity in Pregnancy. Estudio Colaborativo Espanol de Malformaciones Congenitas (ECEMC).
- Martinez L, Leen-Mitchell M, Feldkamp M (1992 Spring). Review of Metronidazole (Flagyl): Use in Human Pregnancy. OTIS Newsletter.
- Feldkamp M (1986). The Relationship Between Temperature Inversions and Cause-Specific Mortality. Masters Thesis. Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah.
- Feldkamp M, Hartzell K, Neiger B (1997 February ). Utah Birth Defects Registry Report: Activities and 1995 Cases. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah Department of Health.
- Feldkamp M (1995-09-15). Neural Tube Defects Surveillance Report, Disabilities Prevention Program. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah Department of Health.