Lisa H. Gren, PhD
- Refugee Integration
- Population Health Evaluation
- Clinical Quality Improvement
- Practice Transformation
- Clinical Trials of Screening and Disease Management
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine
375 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Lisa Gren, PhD, MSPH is an Associate Professor in the Division of Public Health at the University of Utah. Dr. Gren has earned a BS degree in microbiology, MSPH in Public Health, and PhD in Public Health. She teaches Introduction to Biostatistics (PBHLT 6100) and Public Health Systems and Services (PBHLT 6500). Dr. Gren is the Director for the University of Utah Primary Care Research Network, and Associate Director for the Center for Research on Migration and Refugee Immigration.
My overall research goal is to identify the right type of care needed to improve health, and deliver it to the right person at the right time. My clinical trials work is focused on finding the right type of care, and has resulted in (1) changes to the United States Preventive Services Task Force recommendations on cancer screening and (2) updates to hypertension management guidelines. My work in primary care clinics is focused on improving quality of care, and satisfaction of patients, providers and staff. My work with refugees and immigrants, as well as international work in Ghana and Korea, is focused on descriptive epidemiology to identify health needs, followed by community engagement to implement interventions that improve population health
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Certification||University of Utah
|Other Training||Erasmus University
Summer Course: clinical research, epidemiology, statistics
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
|Other Training||Erasmus University
Summer Course: clinical research, epidemiology, statistics
|Gren LH. Using the U’s Asia Campus in South Korea to Help Support U Faculty Conduct Research in Asia - Experience Perspective fro the Division of Public Health. Consortium for Research on Contemporary China/Asia, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.||Korea|
|Gren LH, Batar A, Mai T, Nystrom B. Dialogue on Trump's Executive Order on Immigration - Researcher Perspective. Center for Research on Migration & Refugee Integration, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.||Global|
|Frost CJ, Singh TP, Gren LH. Developing Collegial Partnerships for Research on International Migration. Consortium for Research on Contemporary China/Asia (CROCCA), University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.||Korea|
|Gonzalez-Pons KM, Gren LH, Singh TP, Frost CJ. Piloting a Health Assessment in South Korea: Understanding the Health Needs of Labor and Marriage Migrants. Consortium for Research on Contemporary China/Asia (CROCCA), Forum on Immigrants and Integration in South Korea: Findings and Reflections from a US-Republic of Korea University Collaboration, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.||Korea|
|08/27/2018||Chair||Admissions Committee. Convene the committee that admits masters and doctoral degree applicants, for the University of Utah main and Asia campuses, and public health program at the Ensign College of Public Health in West Africa.||Ghana|
|07/01/2016||Committee Member||Global Public Health. Develop strategy for public health research and education activities undertaken with global partners.||Ghana|
|09/01/2015||Committee Member||Ensign College of Public Health (ECOPH) Faculty Planning Committee. Develop plans for facilities, curriculum, and activities at the ECOPH campus.||Ghana|
|07/01/2015||Committee Member||Education Committee. Develop policy and strategies for achieving academic objectives in masters and doctoral programs at the home and global campuses.||Global|
|07/01/2016||Committee Member||Asia Campus advisory committee. Participate in discussions to guide the activities of the educational program for MPH students at the campus in Incheon, South Korea; accept teaching assignments at the Utah Asia Campus.||Korea|
|09/01/2015||Co-Developer||assisted in developing the application that resulted in the founding of the Center, including development of vision and mission statements related to intended areas of emphasis in educaton, outreach, and research.||Global|
|01/01/2015||Committee Member||Learning Abroad Working Group, Develop guidelines for learning abroad student experiences.||Global|
|03/10/2015||Chair||Ensign College of Public Health (ECOPH) Workshop Planning Committee. Developed financial model for short courses to be convened in Kpong, Ghana at ECOPH.||Ghana|
|02/27/2017||Member||Search Committee for faculty recruitment at Ensign College of Public Health||Ghana|
- Van Hala S, Cochella S, Jaggi R, Frost CJ, Kiraly B, Pohl S, Gren L (2018). Development and validation of the Foundational Healthcare Leadership Self-Assessment. Fam Med, 50(4), 262-8.
- Metos J, Gren L, Brusseau T Jr, Moric E, OToole K, Mokhtari T, Buys S, Frost C (2018). Adolescent Girls’ Reactions to Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Tools and Insight into Life Style Habits. Health Educ J, 77(1), 85-95.
- Brown K, Fortenberry K, Gren L, Gunning K, McAdam-Marx C (2017). Achievement of adequate glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes and comorbid mental health conditions treated in a primary care setting. Diabetes Spectrum, 30(4), 277-87.
- Gren LH, Jaggi R, Landward R, Benson LS, Frost CJ (2017). A community health coach-delivered mental wellness intervention: using Mind-Body Bridging to reduce health disparities in diverse communities. Pedagogy Health Promot, 3(3), 167-76.
- Brunisholz KD, Joy EA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Savitz LA, Hamilton S, Cannon W, Huynh K, Schafer TAN, Newman LM, Parker J, Musselman J, Kim J (2017). Stepping Back to Move Forward: Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Diabetes Prevention Program Within a Large Integrated Healthcare Delivery System. J Healthc Qual, 39(5), 278-293.
- Long KNG, Gren LH, Long PM, Jaggi R, Banik S, Mihalopoulos NL (2017). A picture of Indian adolescent mental health: an analysis from three urban secondary schools, Epub ahead of print, DOI: 10.1515/ijamh-2017-0035. Int J Adolesc Med Health.
- Parsons BG, Gren LH, Simonsen SE, Harding G, Grossman D, Wu YP (2017). Opportunities for Skin Cancer Prevention Education among Individuals Attending a Community Skin Cancer Screening in a High-Risk Catchment Area.LID - 10.1007/s10900-017-0406-8 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) J Community Health.
- Brunisholz KD, Kim J, Savitz LA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Hamilton S, Huynh K, Joy EA (2017). A Formative Evaluation of a Diabetes Prevention Program Using the RE-AIM Framework in a Learning Health Care System, Utah, 2013-2015. Prev Chronic Dis, 14, E58.
- Talboys SL, Kaur M, VanDerslice J, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Alder SC (2017). What Is Eve Teasing? A Mixed Methods Study of Sexual Harassment of Young Women in the Rural Indian Context. Sage Open.
- Hawkins ML, Buys SS, Gren LH, Simonsen SE, Kirchhoff AC, Hashibe M (2016). Do cancer survivors develop healthier lifestyle behaviors than the cancer-free population in the PLCO study? (Epub ahead of print) J Cancer Surviv.
- Berlowitz DR, Breaux-Shropshire T, Foy CG, Gren LH, Kazis L, Lerner AJ, Newman JC, Powell JR, Riley WT, Rosman R, Wadley VG, Williams JA (2016). Hypertension Treatment and Concern About Falling: Baseline Data from the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial.LID - 10.1111/jgs.14441 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) J Am Geriatr Soc.
- Viau KS, Jones JL, Murtaugh MA, Gren LH, Stanford JB, Bilder DA (2016). Phone-based motivational interviewing to increase self-efficacy in individuals with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab Rep, 6, 27-33.
- Brunisholz KD, Joy EA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Savitz LA, Hamilton S, Cannon W, Kim J (2016). Incidental Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus among Patients with Confirmed and Unconfirmed Prediabetes. PLoS ONE, 11(7), e0157729.
- Ball TJ, Joy EA, Gren LH, Cunningham R, Shaw JM (2015). Predictive Validity of an Adult Physical Activity "Vital Sign" Recorded in Electronic Health Records. J Phys Act Health.
- Pippitt K, Moloney-Johns A, Jalilibahabadi S, Gren LH (2015). Collaboration versus competition: an interprofessional education experience. Fam Med, 47(4), 298-301.
- Gohagan JK, Broski K, Gren LH, Fouad MN, Higgins D, Lappe K, Ogden S, Shambaugh V, Pinsky PF, OBrien B, Yurgalevich S, Riley T, Wright P, Prorok PC (2015). Managing Multi-Center Recruitment in the PLCO Cancer Screening Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 187-93.
- Marcus PM, Broski KG, Buys SS, Childs J, Church TR, Gohagan JK, Gren LH, Higgins D, Jaggi R, Jenkins V, Johnson CC, Lappe K, OBrien B, Ogden SL, Prorok PC, Reding D, Shambaugh V, Yokochi LA, Yurgalevitch S (2015). Building Successful Relationships in the PLCO Cancer Screening Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 181-6.
- Gren LH, Lamerato LE, Wright P, Marcus PM (2015). Validation of Self-Report of Chest X-Ray Exam at a Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial Center. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 194-9.
- Gohagan JK, OBrien B, Hasson MA, Umbel KD, Bridgeman B, Kramer BS, Reding D, Gren L, Wright P, Riley T, Prorok PC (2015). Comprehensive Quality Management (CQM) in the PLCO Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 223-32.
- Jones KB, Gren LH, Backman R (2014). Improving pediatric immunization rates: description of a resident-led clinical continuous quality improvement project. Fam Med, 46(8), 631-5.
- Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Joy EA, Lyon JL, Staes CJ, Alder SC (March 2013). Point-of-care testing as an influenza surveillance tool: Methodology and lessons learned from implementation. Influenza Res Treat, 2013(Art#242970).