R. Lor Randall, MD, FACS
- Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Metastatic Bone Disease
- Molecular Oncogenesis
- Modeling of Sarcomas
- Cooperative Clinical Trials
- Departments: Orthopaedics - Professor
- Cancer Center Programs: Experimental Therapeutics
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Academic Office Information
Huntsman Cancer Institute
Sarcoma Services, Academic Office
2000 Circle of Hope, Room: HCI 4262
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
R. Lor Randall, MD, FACS, is the Director of Sarcoma Services at the University of Utah’s Huntsman Cancer Institute and Primary Children’s Medical Center, and he is a member of the Experimental Therapeutics Program. He has a busy quaternary referral clinical practice specializing in musculoskeletal surgical oncology. Dr. Randall is also the Medical Director of the Huntsman Cancer Hospital Operating Rooms. The Sarcoma Services at HCI, because of its comprehensive experience in sarcomas, is continually developing and refining institutional based research and treatment protocols to improve the outcome in these rare but highly malignant conditions. HCI is a SARC participant and also is very active in the Children’s Oncology Group.
Dr. Randall is a Professor of Orthopaedics and The L.B. & Olive S. Young Endowed Chair for Cancer Research. Among his academic responsibilities, he is chief of the Sarcoma Array Research Consortium (SARC) Lab, a laboratory investigating the molecular genetic mechanisms that give rise to sarcomas. In a joint effort with universities around the country, the SARC Lab is able to process and analyze donated tissue samples and report back to collaborators. The SARC Lab also has mechanistic experiments looking at genes involved in regulating apoptosis in sarcomas. Other areas of funded research include EGF modulated gene synchronization in desmoids. Randall developed the Sarcoma Advanced Research and Clinical (SARC) Fellowship. The Fellowship provides extensive exposure to tertiary/quaternary sarcoma surgery. The clinical experience includes the work up and management of the complete array of benign and malignant musculoskeletal neoplastic and pseudoneoplastic conditions, with broad pediatric and adult exposure. Basic, translational, and clinical research opportunities are readily available for Fellows.
Randall came to Huntsman Cancer Institute in 1998 from The University of Washington, where he completed a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology. He graduated from Yale University School of Medicine in 1992 and completed a residency in orthopedic surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Randall's clinical and research efforts have been recognized internationally. Amongst his honors, he is the recipient of the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons' Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Scholar Award as well as Best Paper Award and has been invited as an American-British-Canadian Traveling Fellow. He is Past-President of the Connective Tissue Oncology Society, and a member of several national and international oncology and surgical societies including the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Children's Oncology Group, Interurban Orthopaedic Society and the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and is the author of numerous scientific manuscripts, book chapters and abstracts in the field of sarcoma surgery and biology.
|Fellowship||University of Washington - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center
|Residency||University of California - San Francisco
|Internship||University of California - San Francisco
|Professional Medical||Yale University
Human Biology / Molecular Biology
- Lerman DM, Cable MG, Thornley P, Evaniew N, Slobogean GP, Bhandari M, Healey JH, Randall RL, Ghert M (2016). Has the Level of Evidence of Podium Presentations at the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting Changed Over Time? (Epub ahead of print) Clin Orthop Relat Res.
- Morris CD, Teot LA, Bernstein ML, Marina N, Krailo MD, Villaluna D, Janeway KA, DuBois SG, Gorlick RG, Randall RL (2016). Assessment of extent of surgical resection of primary high-grade osteosarcoma by treating institutions: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.LID - 10.1002/jso.24145 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) J Surg Oncol.
- Marina N, Granowetter L, Grier HE, Womer RB, Randall RL, Marcus KJ, McIlvaine E, Krailo M (2015). Age, Tumor Characteristics, and Treatment Regimen as Event Predictors in Ewing: A Children's Oncology Group Report. Sarcoma, 2015, 927123.
- Randall RL (2015). CORR Insights((R)): Are Allogeneic Blood Transfusions Associated With Decreased Survival After Surgery for Long-bone Metastatic Fractures? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 473(7), 2352-4.
- Randall RL, Cable MG (2015). Trabectedin tactics: from sea squirts to sarcomas. Lancet Oncol, 16(3), 243-4.
- Bernthal NM, Price SL, Monument MJ, Wilkinson B, Jones KB, Randall RL (2015). Outcomes of Modified Harrington Reconstructions for Nonprimary Periacetabular Tumors: An Effective and Inexpensive Technique. Ann Surg Oncol, 22(12), 3921-8.
- Bernthal NM, Price SL, Monument MJ, Wilkinson B, Jones KB, Randall RL (2015). Erratum to: Outcomes of Modified Harrington Reconstructions for Nonprimary Periacetabular Tumors: An Effective and Inexpensive Technique. Ann Surg Oncol, 22 Suppl 3, 1612.
- Barker JP, Monument MJ, Jones KB, Putnam AR, Randall RL (2015). Secondary osteosarcoma: is there a predilection for the chondroblastic subtype? Orthopedics, 38(5), e359-66.
- Bielack SS, Smeland S, Whelan JS, Marina N, Jovic G, Hook JM, Krailo MD, Gebhardt M, Papai Z, Meyer J, Nadel H, Randall RL, Deffenbaugh C, Nagarajan R, Brennan B, Letson GD, Teot LA, Goorin A, Baumhoer D, Kager L, Werner M, Lau CC, Sundby Hall K, Gelderblom H, Meyers P, Gorlick R, Windhager R, Helmke K, Eriksson M, Hoogerbrugge PM, Schomberg P, Tunn PU, Kuhne T, Jurgens H, van den Berg H, Bohling T, Picton S, Renard M, Reichardt P, Gerss J, Butterfass-Bahloul T, Morris C, Hogendoorn PC, Seddon B, Calaminus G, Michelagnoli M, Dhooge C, Sydes MR, Bernstein M (2015). Methotrexate, Doxorubicin, and Cisplatin (MAP) Plus Maintenance Pegylated Interferon Alfa-2b Versus MAP Alone in Patients With Resectable High-Grade Osteosarcoma and Good Histologic Response to Preoperative MAP: First Results of the EURAMOS-1 Good Response Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Oncol, 33(20), 2279-87.
- Monument MJ, Grossmann AH, Baker CC, Randall RL, Liu T, Albertson DJ (2015). Molecular Confirmation of Ewing Sarcoma in an 85-Year-Old Woman. Int J Surg Pathol, 23(6), 500-4.
- Calvert GT, Wright J, Agarwal J, Jones KB, Randall RL (2015). Is claviculo pro humeri of value for limb salvage of pediatric proximal humerus sarcomas? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 473(3), 877-82.
- DuBois SG, Krailo MD, Gebhardt MC, Donaldson SS, Marcus KJ, Dormans J, Shamberger RC, Sailer S, Nicholas RW, Healey JH, Tarbell NJ, Randall RL, Devidas M, Meyer JS, Granowetter L, Womer RB, Bernstein M, Marina N, Grier HE (2015). Comparative evaluation of local control strategies in localized Ewing sarcoma of bone: A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Cancer, 121(3), 467-75.
- Whelan JS, Bielack SS, Marina N, Smeland S, Jovic G, Hook JM, Krailo M, Anninga J, Butterfass-Bahloul T, Bohling T, Calaminus G, Capra M, Deffenbaugh C, Dhooge C, Eriksson M, Flanagan AM, Gelderblom H, Goorin A, Gorlick R, Gosheger G, Grimer RJ, Hall KS, Helmke K, Hogendoorn PC, Jundt G, Kager L, Kuehne T, Lau CC, Letson GD, Meyer J, Meyers PA, Morris C, Mottl H, Nadel H, Nagarajan R, Randall RL, Schomberg P, Schwarz R, Teot LA, Sydes MR, Bernstein M (2015). EURAMOS-1, an international randomised study for osteosarcoma: results from pre-randomisation treatmentdagger. Ann Oncol, 26(2), 407-14.
- Lerman DM, Monument MJ, McIlvaine E, Liu XQ, Huang D, Monovich L, Beeler N, Gorlick RG, Marina NM, Womer RB, Bridge JA, Krailo MD, Randall RL, Lessnick SL (2015). Tumoral TP53 and/or CDKN2A alterations are not reliable prognostic biomarkers in patients with localized Ewing sarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 62(5), 759-65.
- Lerman DM, Randall RL (2015). Local control of metastatic sarcoma. Curr Opin Pediatr, 27(1), 3-8.
- Bhattasali O, Vo AT, Roth M, Geller D, Randall RL, Gorlick R, Gill J (2015). Variability in the reported management of pulmonary metastases in osteosarcoma. Cancer Med, 4(4), 523-31.
- Monument MJ, Bernthal NM, Bowles AJ, Jones KB, Randall RL (2015). What are the 5-year survivorship outcomes of compressive endoprosthetic osseointegration fixation of the femur? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 473(3), 883-90.
- Chaturvedi A, Hoffman LM, Jensen CC, Lin YC, Grossmann AH, Randall RL, Lessnick SL, Welm AL, Beckerle MC (2014). Molecular dissection of the mechanism by which EWS/FLI expression compromises actin cytoskeletal integrity and cell adhesion in Ewing sarcoma. Mol Biol Cell, 25(18), 2695-709.
- Monument MJ, Johnson KM, McIlvaine E, Abegglen L, Watkins WS, Jorde LB, Womer RB, Beeler N, Monovich L, Lawlor ER, Bridge JA, Schiffman JD, Krailo MD, Randall RL, Lessnick SL (2014). Clinical and biochemical function of polymorphic NR0B1 GGAA-microsatellites in Ewing sarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. PLoS One, 9(8), e104378.
- Bernthal NM, Putnam A, Jones KB, Viskochil D, Randall RL (2014). The effect of surgical margins on outcomes for low grade MPNSTs and atypical neurofibroma. J Surg Oncol, 110(7), 813-6.
- Bernthal NM, Monument MJ, Randall RL, Jones KB (2014). Rotationplasty: Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. Oper Tech Orthop, 24(2), 103-110.
- Goodwin ML, Jin H, Straessler K, Smith-Fry K, Zhu JF, Monument MJ, Grossmann A, Randall RL, Capecchi MR, Jones KB (2014). Modeling alveolar soft part sarcomagenesis in the mouse: a role for lactate in the tumor microenvironment. Cancer Cell, 26(6), 851-62.
- von Mehren M, Randall RL, Benjamin RS, Boles S, Bui MM, Casper ES, Conrad EU 3rd, DeLaney TF, Ganjoo KN, George S, Gonzalez RJ, Heslin MJ, Kane JM 3rd, Mayerson J, McGarry SV, Meyer C, ODonnell RJ, Pappo AS, Paz IB, Pfeifer JD, Riedel RF, Schuetze S, Schupak KD, Schwartz HS, Van Tine BA, Wayne JD, Bergman MA, Sundar H (2014). Gastrointestinal stromal tumors, version 2.2014. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 12(6), 853-62.
- Khanna C, Fan TM, Gorlick R, Helman LJ, Kleinerman ES, Adamson PC, Houghton PJ, Tap WD, Welch DR, Steeg PS, Merlino G, Sorensen PH, Meltzer P, Kirsch DG, Janeway KA, Weigel B, Randall L, Withrow SJ, Paoloni M, Kaplan R, Teicher BA, Seibel NL, Smith M, Uren A, Patel SR, Trent J, Savage SA, Mirabello L, Reinke D, Barkaukas DA, Krailo M, Bernstein M (2014). Toward a drug development path that targets metastatic progression in osteosarcoma. Clin Cancer Res, 20(16), 4200-9.
- Gorlick S, Barkauskas DA, Krailo M, Piperdi S, Sowers R, Gill J, Geller D, Randall RL, Janeway K, Schwartz C, Grier H, Meyers PA, Gorlick R, Bernstein M, Marina N (2014). HER-2 expression is not prognostic in osteosarcoma; a Children's Oncology Group prospective biology study. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 61(9), 1558-64.
- Quinn RH, Randall RL, Benevenia J, Berven SH, Raskin KA (2014). Contemporary management of metastatic bone disease: tips and tools of the trade for general practitioners. Instr Course Lect, 63, 431-41.
- von Mehren M, Randall RL, Benjamin RS, Boles S, Bui MM, Casper ES, Conrad EU 3rd, Delaney TF, Ganjoo KN, George S, Gonzalez RJ, Heslin MJ, Kane JM 3rd, Mayerson J, McGarry SV, Meyer C, ODonnell RJ, Pappo AS, Paz IB, Pfeifer JD, Riedel RF, Schuetze S, Schupak KD, Schwartz HS, Van Tine BA, Wayne JD, Bergman MA, Sundar H (2014). Soft tissue sarcoma, version 2.2014. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 12(4), 473-83.
- Li YC, Calvert G, Hanrahan CJ, Jones KB, Randall RL (2014). Coccidiomycosis infection of the patella mimicking a neoplasm - two case reports. BMC Med Imaging, 14, 8.
- Hansen E, Belden K, Silibovsky R, Vogt M, Arnold WV, Bicanic G, Bini SA, Catani F, Chen J, Ghazavi MT, Godefroy KM, Holham P, Hosseinzadeh H, Kim KI, Kirketerp-Moller K, Lidgren L, Lin JH, Lonner JH, Moore CC, Papagelopoulos P, Poultsides L, Randall RL, Roslund B, Saleh K, Salmon JV, Schwarz EM, Stuyck J, Dahl AW, Yamada K (2014). Perioperative antibiotics. J Arthroplasty, 29(2 Suppl), 29-48.
- Calvert GT, Cummings JE, Bowles AJ, Jones KB, Wurtz LD, Randall RL (2014). A dual-center review of compressive osseointegration for fixation of massive endoprosthetics: 2- to 9-year followup. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 472(3), 822-9.
- Randall RL ed (01/01/2016). Metastatic Bone Disease: An Integrated Approach to Patient Care. (Vol. 2016). New York: Springer Science + Business Media.
- Randall RL Kafchinsky KA (2017). Total Hip Arthroplasty for Malignant Lesions. In Wiesel SW (Ed.), Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery (2nd Edition). Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins Inc.
- Randall RL, Ward RA, Hoang BH (2017). Tumors in Orthopaedics. In Skinner HB (Ed.), Current Orthopaedic Diagnosis and Treatment (5th Edition). East Norwalk: Appleton Lange.
- Calvert GT, Randall RL (1/1/2014). Soft Tissue and Bone Tumors. In In Coughlin, Mann Saltzman (Eds.), Surgery of the Foot and Ankle (9th Edition, pp. 828-863). New York: Elselvier.