Derek J. Dosdall, PhD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Adjunct Associate Professor, Surgery - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiovascular Medicine
Academic Office Information
Nora Eccles and Richard A. Harrison Building
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
95 S 2000 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Derek J. Dosdall, PhD, is an associate professor at the University of Utah in the Depatment of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery. He has adjunct appointments in the Department of Bioengineering and the Deparmtment of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. He received his PhD in Bioengineering from Arizona State University and did postdoctoral training at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
His research interests are focused on mapping of cardiac arrhythmias. He has developed chronic animal models of atrial fibrillation to investigate the substrate and conduction changes that occur in the cardiac tissue over time. He is working to determine the role of fibrosis in conduction disturbances and the development of atrial fibrillation. He is also studying the role of the specialized conduction system in the ventricles and the onset and maintenance of dangerous cardiac arrhythmias.
|Postdoctoral Training||University of Alabama at Birmingham
|Doctoral Training||Arizona State University
|Graduate Training||Arizona State University
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
Electrical Engineering. Minors: Physics, Math
- Reno CM, Bayles J, Huang Y, Oxspring M, Hirahara AM, Dosdall DJ, Fisher SJ (2019). Severe Hypoglycemia Induced Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmias are Mediated By the Parasympathetic Nervous System In Rats. (Epub ahead of print) Diabetes.
- Yamashita K, Silvernagel J, Kwan E, Kamali R, Ghafoori E, MacLeod R, Dosdall DJ, Ranjan R (2019). Changes in atrial electrophysiological and structural substrate and their relationship to histology in a long-term chronic canine atrial fibrillation model. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol, 42(7), 930-936.
- Yamashita K, Hu N, Ranjan R, Selzman CH, Dosdall DJ (2018). Clinical Risk Factors for Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation among Patients after Cardiac Surgery. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 67(2), 107-116.
- Angel N, Li LI, Macleod RS, Marrouche N, Ranjan R, Dosdall DJ (2015). Diverse Fibrosis Architecture and Premature Stimulation Facilitate Initiation of Reentrant Activity Following Chronic Atrial Fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, 26(12), 1352-60.
- Huang J, Dosdall DJ, Cheng KA, Li L, Rogers JM, Ideker RE (2014). The importance of Purkinje activation in long duration ventricular fibrillation. J Am Heart Assoc, 3(1), e000495.
- Robichaux RP, Dosdall DJ, Osorio J, Garner NW, Li L, Huang J, Ideker RE (2010). Periods of highly synchronous, non-reentrant endocardial activation cycles occur during long-duration ventricular fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, 21(11), 1266-73.
- Dosdall DJ, Fast VG, Ideker RE (2010). Mechanisms of defibrillation. Annu Rev Biomed Eng, 12, 233-58.