Lenora M. Olson, PhD
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
Division of Pediatric Clincal Care Medicine
295 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Olson's career as a researcher and educator began in 1990 at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine where she directed the Center for Injury Prevention Research and Education. Olson joined the faculty at the University of Utah School Of Medicine in 1999.
Dr. Olson‘s research in the field of injury control falls into three main areas—Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and trauma systems; the epidemiology and prevention of intentional violence; and the epidemiology and prevention of motor vehicle crashes. Dr. Olson has written more than 200 publications, scientific papers, chapters, and abstracts. She is the Principal Investigator for the National EMSC Data Analysis Resource Center (NEDARC) funded by the Maternal and Child Health Branch of the Health Resources and Services Administration. In this role, she directs six full time and four part time staff and a budget of 1.5 million a year. The NEDARC program provides technical assistance in the area of data collection and analysis to EMS offices in the fifty-nice states and territories. Part of the technical assistance involves collecting data from EMS agency directors to ascertain the infrastructure and processes in place to care for children during an emergency. In addtion, the NEDARC program develops and deploys a survey to nurse managers in all hospital emergency departments in the US to assess pediatric readiness based on compliance with publlished guidelines. One result of this work is a data warehouse with national data on the availability of specific pediatric resources for the care of children during an emergency that is available to researchers interested int his topic. Dr. Olson is the co-director of the Qualitative, Survey and Methods Core for the CCTS. In this role, she consults with researchers in the medical school interested in conducting surveys. Olson’s teaching activities include teaching in the MSCI program, mentoring faculty and staff in research.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
Health Education and Promotion
|Certification||University of Michigan
Epidemiology Summer Program
|Graduate Training||University of New Mexico
|Undergraduate||University of New Mexico
- Pilkey D, Edwards C, Richards R, Olson LM, Ely M, Edgerton EA (2018). Pediatric Readiness in Critical Access Hospital Emergency Departments. J Rural Health, 35(4), 480-489.
- Ames SG, Davis BS, Marin JR, Fink EL, Olson LM, Gausche-Hill M, Kahn JM (2019). Emergency Department Pediatric Readiness and Mortality in Critically Ill Children. Pediatrics, 144(3).
- Hewes HA, Ely M, Richards R, Shah MI, Busch S, Pilkey D, Hert KD, Olson LM (2018). Ready for Children: Assessing Pediatric Care Coordination and Psychomotor Skills Evaluation in the Prehospital Setting. Prehosp Emerg Care, 23(4), 510-518.
- Gildea MR, Moler FW, Page K, Pemberton VL, Holubkov R, Nadkarni VM, Dean JM, Olson LM (2018). Practice Patterns after the Therapeutic Hypothermia After Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Out-of-Hospital Trial: A Survey of Pediatric Critical Care Physicians. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 8(2), 71-77.
- Olson LM, Campbell KA, Cook L, Keenan HT (2018). Social history: A qualitative analysis of child abuse pediatricians' consultation notes. Child Abuse Negl, 86, 267-277.
- Ely M, Edgerton EA, Telford R, Page K, Hemingway C, Vernon D, Olson LM (2018). Assessing Infrastructure to Care for Pediatric Patients in the Prehospital Setting. (Epub ahead of print) Pediatr Emerg Care.
- Chow CJ, Byington CL, Olson LM, Ramirez KPG, Zeng S, Lpez AM (2018). A Conceptual Model for Understanding Academic Physicians' Performances of Identity: Findings From the University of Utah. Acad Med, 93(10), 1539-1549.
- Ho KS, Markham LM, Twede H, Lortz A, Olson LM, Sheng X, Weng C, Wassman ER 3rd, Newcomb T, Wassman ER, Carey JC, Battaglia A (2018). A survey of antiepileptic drug responses identifies drugs with potential efficacy for seizure control in Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. Epilepsy Behav, 81, 55-61.
- Ray KN, Olson LM, Edgerton EA, Ely M, Gausche-Hill M, Schmuhl P, Wallace DJ, Kahn JM (2018). Access to High Pediatric-Readiness Emergency Care in the United States. J Pediatr, 194, 225-232.e1.
- Telford R, Cook LJ, Olson LM (2018). Ticketing aggressive cars and trucks (TACT): How does it work on city streets? Traffic Inj Prev, 19(2), 147-152.
- Campbell KA, Vargas-Whale R, Olson LM (2018). Health and Health Needs of Children of Women Seeking Services for and Safety From Intimate Partner Violence. J Interpers Violence, 886260518754871.
- Keenan HT, Campbell KA, Page K, Cook LJ, Bardsley T, Olson LM (2017). Perceived social risk in medical decision-making for physical child abuse: a mixed-methods study. BMC Pediatr, 17(1), 214.
- Keenan HT, Cook LJ, Olson LM, Bardsley T, Campbell KA (2017). Social Intuition and Social Information in Physical Child Abuse Evaluation and Diagnosis. Pediatrics, 140(5).
- Genovesi AL, Olson LM, Telford R, Fendya D, Schenk E, Morrison-Quinata T, Edgerton EA (2017). Transitions of Care: The Presence of Written Interfacility Transfer Guidelines and Agreements for Pediatric Patients.LID - 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001210 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Pediatr Emerg Care.
- Campbell KA, Olson LM, Keenan HT, Morrow SL (2017). What Happened Next: Interviews With Mothers After a Finding of Child Maltreatment in the Household. Qual Health Res, 27(2), 155-169.
- Sadovich J, Adirim T, Telford R, Olson LM, Gausche-Hill M, Edgerton EA (2017). Pediatric Readiness in Indian Health Service and Tribal Emergency Departments: Results from the National Pediatric Readiness Project. J Emerg Nurs, 43(1), 49-56.
- Remick K, Kaji AH, Olson L, Ely M, Schmuhl P, McGrath N, Edgerton E, Gausche-Hill M (2016). Pediatric Readiness and Facility Verification. Ann Emerg Med, 67(3), 320-328.e1.
- Campbell KA, Olson LM, Keenan HT (2015). Critical Elements in the Medical Evaluation of Suspected Child Physical Abuse. Pediatrics, 136(1), 35-43.
- Gausche-Hill M, Ely M, Schmuhl P, Telford R, Remick KE, Edgerton EA, Olson LM (2015). A national assessment of pediatric readiness of emergency departments. JAMA Pediatr, 169(6), 527-34.
- Kamimura A, Christensen N, Tabler J, Ashby J, Olson LM (2013). Patients utilizing a free clinic: physical and mental health, health literacy, and social support. J Community Health, 38(4), 716-23.
- Olson L, Huyler F, Lynch AW, Fullerton L, Werenko D, Sklar D, Zumwalt R (1999). Guns, alcohol, and intimate partner violence: the epidemiology of female suicide in New Mexico. Crisis, 20(3), 121-6.
- Members of the SAEM Consensus Conference Emergency Medical Services Subcommittee, Adelgais KM, Hansen M, Lerner EB, Donofrio JJ, Yadav K, Brown K, Liu YT, Denslow P, Denninghoff K, Ishimine P, Olson LM (2018). Establishing the Key Outcomes for Pediatric Emergency Medical Services Research. Acad Emerg Med, United States, 25(12), 1345-1354.