Flory Nkoy, MD, MS, MPH
- Health Services Research
- Implementation and Dissemination Science
- Self-Management for Children with Complex Medical Conditions
- Developing and Implementing Interventions to Support Self-Management of Patients with Chronic Diseases
- Medical Informatics
- Outcome and Process Assessment (Health Care)
- Quality Improvement
- Quality Indicators, Health Care
- Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation
- Methods to Promote the Uptake of Research Findings into Healthcare (Implementation Science)
- Practice Guideline Development and Implementation
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Pediatrics - Research Professor
- Divisions: Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Academic Office Information
Primary Children's Hospital
Pediatric Hospital Medicine
100 N Mario Capecchi Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84113
Dr. Nkoy is a Research Professor at the University of Utah, Department of Pediatrics and an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Informatics. His research interest focuses on the care of patients with asthma. In addition to clinical medicine, Dr. Nkoy’s background includes training in public health, biomedical informatics and quality improvement with an emphasis on implementation and dissemination research. His work utilizes these skills to pioneer new approaches to improve care of children with chronic diseases and reduce the risks for acute exacerbations. Over recent years, Dr. Nkoy has been the Principal Investigator of three large research grants, two R18 grants from the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and two grants from the patient centered outcomes research institute (PCORI). The first grant ($892,000 in total costs) provided resources to study the process by which organizational and contextual factors in health care delivery environments influence implementation of evidence-based asthma care in clinical practice. This grant has also served the basis to develop and implement the AsthmaTracker, an innovative, patient-centered form designed to change the way asthma care is delivered from the current intermittent acute care model to proactive management through ongoing patient self-monitoring of asthma symptoms to prevent the risk of exacerbations. The goal of the second grant ($1,195,058 in total costs) was to implement and evaluate the impact of the electronic-AsthmaTracker (e-AsthmaTracker), a web and mobile web tool designed to support patient/parent’s engagement in asthma self-monitoring and timely response to early signs of asthma exacerbations. The third grant was awarded by the PCORI to implement the e-AsthmaTracker at eleven primary care clinics, evaluate the impact on asthma outcomes, and identify factors associated with sustained parent/patient engagement in asthma self-monitoring. The goal of the fourth grant ($1,170,927 in total costs), awarded by the PCORI, was to disseminate the e-AsthmaTracker at three healthcare organizations in Utah, a project involving >60 clinics and enrolling >3000 children with asthma. Dr. Nkoy has led the development of a new app (MyChildCMC) for supporting home monitoring of children with medical complexity and is conducting a pilot randomized controlled trial to demonstrate the feasibility and preliminary impact of the app in detecting early deteriorations in child’s health and in reducing emergency department visits and hospital admissions. Dr. Nkoy is a reviewer for a number of medical journals and an ad hoc reviewer for the NIH “Implementation and Dissemination Research” study section, and the “AHRQ Healthcare Information Technology Research” study section. Dr. Nkoy has also been a grant reviewer for various organizations, including the AHRQ/HITR, NHLBI, NINR, NIAID and PCORI.
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Fellowship||Institute for Healthcare Delivery Research
Outcomes/Health Services Research
|Professional Medical||University of Kinshasa
|Undergraduate||University of Kinshasa
|Professional Medical||University of Kinshasa
|Undergraduate||University of Kinshasa
- Nkoy FL, Wilkins VL, Fassl BA, Sheng X, Stone BL (2020). Impact of a self-monitoring application on pediatric asthma disparities. Int J Med Inform, 144, 104294.
- Schaeffer AJ, Cartwright PC, Lau GA, Ebert MD, Fino NF, Nkoy FL, Hess R (2020). Utilization of Radiographic Imaging for Infant Hydronephrosis over the First 12 Months of Life. Adv Urol, 2020, 2108362.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Koebnick C, He S, Au DH, Sheng X, Murtaugh MA, Sward KA, Schatz M, Zeiger RS, Davidson GH, Nkoy FL (2019). Using Temporal Features to Provide Data-Driven Clinical Early Warnings for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma Care Management: Protocol for a Secondary Analysis. JMIR Res Protoc, 8(6), e13783.
- Nkoy FL, Fassl BA, Wilkins VL, Johnson J, Unsicker EH, Koopmeiners KJ, Jensen A, Frazier M, Gaddis J, Malmgren L, Williams S, Oldroyd H, Greene T, Sheng X, Uchida DA, Maloney CG, Stone BL (2019). Ambulatory Management of Childhood Asthma Using a Novel Self-management Application. Pediatrics, 143(6).
- Nkoy FL, Hofmann MG, Stone BL, Poll J, Clark L, Fassl BA, Murphy NA (2018). Information needs for designing a home monitoring system for children with medical complexity. Int J Med Inform, 122, 7-12.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Nkoy FL, He S, Johnson MD (2019). Predicting Appropriate Hospital Admission of Emergency Department Patients with Bronchiolitis: Secondary Analysis. JMIR Med Inform, 7(1), e12591.
- Luo G, Johnson MD, Nkoy FL, He S, Stone BL (2018). Appropriateness of Hospital Admission for Emergency Department Patients with Bronchiolitis: Secondary Analysis. JMIR Med Inform, 6(4), e10498.
- Nkoy F, Stone B, Knighton A, Fassl B, Johnson J, Maloney C, Savitz L (Recently Accepted for Publication). Neighborhood Deprivation and Childhood Asthma Outcomes, Accounting for Insurance Coverage. Hospital Pediatrics. Hospital Pediatrics.
- Nkoy FL, Stone BL, Knighton AJ, Fassl BA, Johnson JM, Maloney CG, Savitz LA (2018). Neighborhood Deprivation and Childhood Asthma Outcomes, Accounting for Insurance Coverage. (Epub ahead of print) Hospital Pediatrics.
- Luo G, Stone B, Johnson M, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Wilcox A, Mooney S, Sheng X, Haug P, Nkoy F (08/29/2017). Automating Construction of Machine Learning Models with Clinical Big Data: Rationale and Methods. J Med Internet Res, 6(8), e175.
- Deering-Rice CE, Stockmann C, Romero EG, Lu Z, Shapiro D, Stone BL, Fassl B, Nkoy F, Uchida DA, Ward RM, Veranth JM, Reilly CA (2016). Characterization of Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid-1 (TRPV1) Variant Activation by Coal Fly Ash Particles and Associations with Altered Transient Receptor Potential Ankyrin-1 (TRPA1) Expression and Asthma. J Biol Chem, 291(48), 24866-24879.
- Johnson MD, Nkoy FL, Sheng X, Greene T, Stone BL, Garvin J (2016). Direct concurrent comparison of multiple pediatric acute asthma scoring instruments. J Asthma, 1-13.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Johnson MD, Nkoy FL (2016). Predicting Appropriate Admission of Bronchiolitis Patients in the Emergency Department: Rationale and Methods. JMIR Res Protoc, 5(1), e41.
- Luo G, Stone B, Johnson M, Nkoy F (03/01/2016). Predicting Appropriate Admission of Bronchiolitis Patients in the Emergency Department: Rationale and Methods. JMIR Res Protoc, 7(5), e41.
- Deering-Rice CE, Shapiro D, Romero EG, Stockmann C, Bevans TS, Phan QM, Stone BL, Fassl B, Nkoy F, Uchida DA, Ward RM, Veranth JM, Reilly CA (2015). Activation of Transient Receptor Potential Ankyrin-1 by Insoluble Particulate Material and Association with Asthma. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 53(6), 893-901.
- Luo G, Nkoy FL, Stone BL, Schmick D, Johnson MD (2015). A systematic review of predictive models for asthma development in children. BMC Med Informat Decis Making, 15, 99.
- Luo G, Stone B, Fassl B, Maloney C, Gesteland PH, Yerram S, Nkoy F 2015 (10/14/2015). Predicting asthma control deterioration in children. BMC Med Informat Decis Making, 15(84).
- King MA, Nkoy FL, Maloney CG, Mihalopoulos NL (2015). Physicians and Physician Trainees Rarely Identify or Address Overweight/Obesity in Hospitalized Children. J Pediatr, 167(4), 816-820.e1.
- Stockmann C, Reilly CA, Fassl B, Gaedigk R, Nkoy F, Stone B, Roberts JK, Uchida DA, Leeder JS, Sherwin CM, Spigarelli MG, Yost GS, Ward RM (2015). Effect of CYP3A5*3 on asthma control among children treated with inhaled beclomethasone. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 136(2), 505-7.
- Nelson KE, Hersh AL, Nkoy FL, Maselli JH, Srivastava R, Cabana MD (2015). Primary care physician smoking screening and counseling for patients with chronic disease. Prev Med, 71, 77-82.
- Nkoy F, Fassl B, Stone B, Uchida DA, Johnson J, Reynolds C, Valentine K, Koopmeiners K, Kim EH, Savitz L, Maloney C (01/02/2015). Improving Pediatric Asthma Care and Outcomes Across Multiple Hospitals. Pediatrics, 136(6), e1602-10..
- Stockmann C, Ross JS, Sherwin CM, Reilly CA, McDowell B, Fassl B, Nkoy F, Maloney CG, Spigarelli MG (2014). Rate of asthma trial outcomes reporting on ClinicalTrials.gov and in the published literature. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 134(6), 1443-6.
- Luo G, Nkoy FL, Gesteland PH, Glasgow TS, Stone BL (2014). A systematic review of predictive modeling for bronchiolitis. Int J Med Inform, 83(10), 691-714.
- Nkoy F, Stone L, Fassl B, Uchida D, Koopmeiners K, Halbern S, Kim EH, Wilcox A, Ying J, Greene T, Mosen D, Schatz N, Maloney C (12/31/2013). Longitudinal validation of a tool for asthma self-monitoring. Pediatrics, 132(6), e1554-61.
- Stockmann C, Fassl B, Gaedigk R, Nkoy F, Uchida DA, Monson S, Reilly CA, Leeder JS, Yost GS, Ward RM (2013). Fluticasone propionate pharmacogenetics: CYP3A4*22 polymorphism and pediatric asthma control. J Pediatr, 162(6), 1222-7, 1227.e1-2.
- Fassl BA, Nkoy FL, Stone BL, Srivastava R, Simon TD, Uchida DA, Koopmeiners K, Greene T, Cook LJ, Maloney CG (2012). The Joint Commission Children's Asthma Care quality measures and asthma readmissions. Pediatrics, 130(3), 482-91.
- Nkoy FL, Stone BL, Fassl BA, Koopmeiners K, Halbern S, Kim EH, Poll J, Hales JW, Lee D, Maloney CG (2012). Development of a novel tool for engaging children and parents in asthma self-management. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2012, 663-72.
- Nkoy FL, Fassl BA, Wolfe D, Colling D, Hales JW, Maloney CG (2010). Sustaining compliance with pediatric asthma inpatient quality measures. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2010, 547-51.
- Harlan GA, Nkoy FL, Srivastava R, Lattin G, Wolfe D, Mundorff MB, Colling D, Valdez A, Lange S, Atkinson SD, Cook LJ, Maloney CG (2010). Improving transitions of care at hospital discharge--implications for pediatric hospitalists and primary care providers. J Healthc Qual, 32(5), 51-60.
- Nkoy FL, Hammond ME, Rees W, Belnap T, Rowley B, Catmull S, Sause W (2010). Variable specimen handling affects hormone receptor test results in women with breast cancer: a large multihospital retrospective study. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 134(4), 606-12.
- Dickerson T, Crookston B, Simonsen SE, Sheng X, Samen A, Nkoy F (2010). Pregnancy and Village Outreach Tibet: a descriptive report of a community- and home-based maternal-newborn outreach program in rural Tibet. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs, 24(2), 113-27.
- Nkoy FL, Wolfe D, Hales JW, Lattin G, Rackham M, Maloney CG (2009). Enhancing an existing clinical information system to improve study recruitment and census gathering efficiency. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2009, 476-80.
- Nkoy FL, Petersen S, Antommaria AH, Maloney CG (2008). Validation of an electronic system for recording medical student patient encounters. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 510-4.
- Nkoy F, Fassl B, Simon T, Stone B, Srivastava R, Gesteland P, Fletcher G, Maloney C (03/31/2008). Quality of care for children hospitalized with asthma. Pediatrics, 122(5), 105.
- Maloney CG, Wolfe D, Gesteland PH, Hales JW, Nkoy FL (2007). A tool for improving patient discharge process and hospital communication practices: the "Patient Tracker". AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 493-7.
- Srivastava R, Downey EC, Feola P, Samore M, Coburn L, Holubkov R, Mundorff M, Nkoy F, Desrochers D, James BC, Rosenbaum P, Young PC, Dean JM, OGorman M (2007). Quality of life of children with neurological impairment who receive a fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Hosp Med, 2(3), 165-73.
- Weir PT, Harlan GA, Nkoy FL, Jones SS, Hegmann KT, Gren LH, Lyon JL (2006). The incidence of fibromyalgia and its associated comorbidities: a population-based retrospective cohort study based on International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision codes. J Clin Rheumatol, 12(3), 124-8.
- Nkoy F, Stone B, Hofmann M, Fassl B, Zhu A, Mahtta N, Murphy N (). Home Monitoring Application for Children with Medical Complexity: A Feasibility Trial. Hospital Pediatrics.
- Nkoy F, Stone B, Hofmann M, Fassl B, Zhu A, Mahtta N, Murphy N (January 2021). Home Monitoring Application for Children with Medical Complexity: A Feasibility Trial. Hospital Pediatrics, Forthcoming.
- Stockmann C, Fassl B, Gaedigk R, Nkoy F, Uchida D, Reilly C, Leeder S, Yost G, Ward R (02/28/2015). Fluticasone Propionate Pharmacogenetics: CYP3A4*22 Polymorphism and Pediatric Asthma Control. WSPR Conference Proceedings, 61(1), 111.
- Patel R, Maloney C, Nkoy F, Fassl B (01/08/2014). Evaluation of a Malnutrition Management Program in Gujarat, India. WSPR, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 62(1), 171.
- Stockmann C, Fassl B, Reilly C, Nkoy F, Gaedigk R, Leeder S, Yost G, Ward R1 (01/08/2014). An Evaluation of the pharmacogenetics of inhaled glucocorticoids and Pediatric asthma control. WSPR, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 62(1), 144.
- Crandall H, Levy D, Nkoy F, Fassl B (01/20/2012). Implementation and assessment of a perinatal health education program in rural nepal. WSPR, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 60(1), 126.
- Fassl B, Nkoy F, Simon T, Srivastava R, Maloney C (02/28/2011). Impact of an Asthma Clinical Pathway on Joint Commission Inpatient Asthma Performance Measures. WSPR Conference Proceedings, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 58(1), 174.
- Fassl B, Nkoy F, Stone B, Koopmeiners K, Uchida D, Maloney C (Fassl B, Nkoy F, Stone B, Koopmeiners K, Uchida D, Maloney C.). The Joint Commission Clinical Asthma Care Measures and Hospitalization Outcomes. WSPR Conference Proceedings, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 60(1), 146.
- Westmoreland K, Dickerson T, Nkoy F, Fassl B (02/28/2011). Maternal Child Health Needs Assessment in Rural Western Nepal. WSPR, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 58(1), 249.
- C Stockmann, R Ward, Nkoy F, Moore C, Roberts J, Uchida D, Gaedigk R, Leeder S, Yost G, Fassl B (02/28/2011). Intronic Cytochrome P450 Polymorphism and Pediatric Asthma Control with Inhaled Fluticasone. WSPR Conference Proceedings, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 60(1), 126.
- Hammond E, Fetzer J, Belnap T, Rowley B, Hall C, Nkoy F (03/08/2009). Impact of Recording of Pre-Analytical Specimen Handling Conditions for ER and PR Testing in Women with Breast Cancer. In Cancer Research (Ed.), SBCS, 69(24).
- Moore A, Nkoy F, Lattin G, Fassl B (01/06/2009). Effects of Body Mass Index (BMI) in Children Hospitalized with Asthma. Journal of Investigative Medicine, 57(1), 137.
- Parkinson B, Belnap T, Rowley B, Blaney S, Kerry A, Pinto K, Nkoy F (12/12/2007). The effect of computer-aided detection on the interpretation of screening mammograms at Intermountain Healthcare facilities. SABCS, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 106(1), S94.
- Maloney C, Wolfe D, Ballard J, Mundorff M, Nkoy F (02/28/2006). Standardization of Oxygen Discharge Criteria Improves Outcomes at an Academic Hospital. WSPR Conference Proceedings, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 55(1), S92.1.
- Fassl B, Nkoy F, Srivastava R, Stone B, Maloney C (02/28/2006). Compliance with Evidence-Based Guidelines Decreases Readmissions for Children with Asthma Exacerbations. WSPR, Journal of Investigative Medicine, 55(1), S153.5.
- Nkoy F, Valentine K, Choucair A (2006). Useful quality of life tools for monitoring symptoms in patients with primary brain tumors. Neuro-Oncology Society. 2006 Annual Meeting, 8(4), 391–500..
- Choucair A, Valentine K, Nkoy F, Pinto K, Gleason D, Choucair A, Daynes G (2005). Collection of longitudinal QOL data in patients with Primary Brain Tumors (PBT) results in improvement of care. Quality of Life Research. International Society for Quality of Life Research. 2005 Annual Meeting, Quality of Life Research, 14(9), 2059.
- Nkoy F, Rees W, Sause W, Hammond E, Pinto K and Rowe K (2005). Decision-making process for early-stage breast cancer is surgeon driven. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 94, S176.
- Nkoy F, Hammond E, Rees W, Catmull S, Pinto K, Rowe K, Riches C, Sause W (2005). Day of surgery affects Estrogen Receptor test results in women with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 94, S244.
- Sause W, Nkoy F, Rees W, Brammer A, Pinto K (2004). Improved cancer outcomes across multiple institutions using an integrated data system. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 22(14S), 6030.
- Wilson C, Halbern S, Koopmeiners K, Nkoy F (03/01/2011). Asthma Symptom Fluctuation in Relation to Body Mass Index and Sex in Children [Abstract]. SACNAS.
- Pritchard J, Fassl B, Lattin G, Nkoy F (01/29/2009). Adverse events in children with acute asthma discharged from the hospital with supplemental oxygen: a descriptive study [Abstract]. WSPR.
- Stone B, Stevenson A, Ampofo K, Nkoy F (2008). Stratification at Admission of Children With Bacterial Pneumonia Complicated by Empyema. Honolulu, Hawaii [Abstract]. Pediatric Academic Societies Conference 2008.
- Nkoy F, Fassl B, Simon T, Fletcher G, Maloney C (2008). Composite Score for Pediatric Asthma Inpatient Quality of Care. Honolulu, Hawaii [Abstract]. Pediatric Academic Societies Conference 2008.
- Nkoy F, Fassl B, Simon T, Stone B, Gesteland P, Fletcher G, Dowling A, Maloney C, James B, Srivastava R (2007). Quality of Care for Children Hospitalized with Asthma Exacerbations. [Abstract]. AcademyHealth/CHSR 2007 proceedings.
- Fassl B, Nkoy F, Stone B, Srivastava R, Gesteland P, Simon T, Fletcher G, Dowling A, Maloney C (2007). Ipratropium Bromide Is Associated with Poorer Outcomes in Children Admitted for Asthma Exacerbations [Abstract]. PAS.
- Nkoy F, Fassl B, Stone B, Srivastava R, Gesteland P, Fletcher G, Dowling A, Simon T, Maloney C (2007). Clinical Quality Measures for Pediatric Inpatient Asthma Care [Abstract]. PAS.
- Maloney C, Wolfe D, Ballard J, Mundorff M, Tyson E, Nkoy F (2007). An innovative strategy to improve discharge efficiency of hospitalized bronchiolitis patients on home O2 therapy [Abstract]. PAS.
- Fassl B, Nkoy F, Stone B, Srivastava R, Simon T, Fletcher G, Dowling A, Maloney C (2007). Systemic corticosteroids in children hospitalized for acute asthma: Are 4mg/kg superior to 2 mg/kg? [Abstract]. PAS.
- Soisson A, Dodson M, Zempolich K, Sause W, Gaffney D, Nkoy F, Rowe K, Horvath E, Valentine K, Pinto K, Welch S (2006). An analysis of differences in care for women with endometrial adenocarcinoma in Utah: Surgical care by general gynecologists vs. gynecologic oncologists. [Abstract]. SGO.
- Archibald L, Hall C, Nkoy F (2005). Improvement of breast cancer surgical care in a community setting. [Abstract]. SABCS.
- Nkoy F, Sause W, Rees W, Pinto K, Hammond E, Parkinson B, Catmull S, Brammer A, Rowe K, James B (2004). A framework for multiple institutions oncology outcomes improvement. [Abstract]. National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ).
- Johnson J, Unsicker EH, Oldroyd H, Fassl B, Nkoy F (04/17/2015). Video Related to Priminary Care Provider's Experience with use of the Electronic-AsthmaTracker in an Ambulatory Care Clinic [Video]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cO1f8ZWVg.
- Michelle Frazier, Unsicker EH, Oldroyd H, Fassl B, Nkoy F (04/17/2015). Caregiver of a child with asthma: Experience with use of the Electronic-AsthmaTracker [Video]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO29BRDV4bA.
- Fassl B, Unsicker EH, Oldroyd H, Nkoy F (04/17/2015). Electronic-AsthmaTracker Education for Heallth Care Providers. [Video]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szEB1nk1-UM.
- Teleford A, Unsicker EH, Oldroyd H, Fassl B, Nkoy F (04/17/2015). Caregiver of a child with asthma: Experience with use of the Electronic-AsthmaTracker [Video]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsw4vP-EL-I.
- Nkoy F, Stone B, Koopmeiners K, Unsicker EH (07/05/2012). Electronic-AsthmaTracker family education module [Video]. Available: http://youtu.be/5F5mc-cvxOI.
- Nkoy F, Halbern S, Stone B (07/05/2012). Electronic-AsthmaTracker Clinic Video Training [Video]. Available: http://youtu.be/a4KC_jODP0g.
- Nkoy F, Halbern S, Koopmeiners K (03/05/2012). ElectronicAsthmaTracker Introduction [Video]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7hI0AHzwA.
- Nkoy F, Stone B, Fassl B, Maloney C (01/03/2011). Electronic-AsthmaTracker Application [Web]. Available: https://asthmatracker.utah.edu/public/index.php.
- Children Who Use Asthma Tracking App Have Better Disease Control and Fewer Hospital Visits
- U of U study could change the lives of kids with asthma
- Technology to Crowdsource Complex Triggers of Pediatric Asthma
- Faculty Promotions in Biomedical Informatics
- Flory Nkoy, M.D., M.S., M.P.H., will lead $1.9M research project to study asthma in children