Amanda V. Bakian, PhD
- Experimental Design, Outcomes Research
- Geographical Epidemiology
- Gene-Environment Interaction
- Public Health Surveillance Systems
- Spatial Statistics
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Departments: Psychiatry - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Child Psychiatry
Academic Office Information
Department of Psychiatry
650 Komas Drive, Room: 206
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Bakian joined the Department of Psychiatry in 2010 as epidemiologist for the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities (URADD). In 2011, she joined the Psychiatry faculty. Amanda oversees the operation of two public health surveillance systems in Utah. She is currently Director and Epidemiologist of the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities and Principal Investigator of the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Project, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. Her research is in environment, gene by environment and phenotype by environment contributors to psychiatric conditions including autism and suicide. A secondary research goal of Dr. Bakian's is to apply her expertise in biostatistics and epidemiology to support collaborative research efforts aimed at elucidating risk of complex diseases. Dr. Bakian's research falls into four areas including 1) improving public health surveillance methods and approaches for autism, 2) disentangling autism’s complex etiology, 3) identifying environmental and familial risk factors for suicide, and 4) contributing study design and analysis expertise to collaborative clinical research projects.
|Post Graduate Training||University of Utah
Comparative Effectiveness Research
|Doctoral Training||Utah State University
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
- Kious BM, Bakian A, Zhao J, Mickey B, Guille C, Renshaw P, Sen S (2019 May 14). Altitude and risk of depression and anxiety: findings from the intern health study. Int Rev Psychiatry, 1-9.
- Kirby AV, Bakian AV, Zhang Y, Bilder DA, Keeshin BR, Coon H (2019 Jan 21). A 20-year study of suicide death in a statewide autism population. Autism Research, 12(4), 658-666.
- Ombach J, Renshaw K, Scholl L, Sung Y, Bakian AV, Kanekar S, Renshaw P (). Association between altitude, presciption opioid misuse, and fatal overdoses. Addict Behav Rep, 9, 100167.
- Ombach HJ, Scholl LS, Bakian AV, Renshaw KT, Sung YH, Renshaw PF, Kanekar S (2019). Association between altitude, prescription opioid misuse, and fatal overdoses. Addict Behav Rep, 9, 100167.
- Coon H, Darlington TM, DiBlasi E, Callor WB, Ferris E, Fraser A, Yu Z, William N, Das SC, Crowell SE, Chen D, Anderson JS, Klein M, Jerominski L, Cannon D, Shabalin A, Docherty A, Williams M, Smith KR, Keeshin B, Bakian AV, Christensen E, Li QS, Camp NJ, Gray D (2018 Oct 23). Genome-wide significant regions in 43 Utah high-risk families implicate multiple genes involved in risk for completed suicide. (Epub ahead of print) Mol Psychiatry.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Korgenski EK, Bonkowsky JL (2018). Autism Spectrum Disorder and Neonatal Serum Magnesium Levels in Preterm Infants. Child Neurol Open, 5, 2329048X18800566.
- Kaiser JE, Bakian AV, Silver RM, Clark EAS (2018 Jul). Clinical Variables Associated With Adverse Maternal Outcomes in Puerperal Group A Streptococci Infection. Obstet Gynecol, 132(1), 179-184.
- Rubenstein E, Daniels J, Schieve LA, Christensen DL, Van Naarden Braun K, Rice CE, Bakian AV, Durkin MS, Rosenberg SA, Kirby RS, Lee LC (2018 Jan/Feb). Trends in Special Education Eligibility Among Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder, 2002-2010. Public Health Rep, 133(1), 85-92.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Pearson DA, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Zahorodny WM, Moye LA 3rd, Durkin M, Slay Wingate M (2017 May). Autism spectrum disorder reporting in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. Autism, 21(4), 470-480.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Stevenson DA, Carbone PS, Cunniff C, Goodman AB, McMahon WM, Fisher NP, Viskochil D (2016 Oct). Brief Report: The Prevalence of Neurofibromatosis Type 1 among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Identified by the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(10), 3369-76.
- McGlade E, Bakian A, Coon H, Yurgelun-Todd D, Callor WB, Byrd J, Gray D (2016 Aug). Male suspected suicide decedents in Utah: A comparison of Veterans and nonveterans. Compr Psychiatry, 69, 1-10.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Kirby RS, Durkin MS, Han I, Moy LA 3rd, Pearson DA, Wingate MS, Zahorodny WM (2016 Jul). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and associations with air concentrations of lead, mercury, and arsenic. Environ Monit Assess, 188(7), 407.
- Jones KB, Cottle K, Bakian A, Farley M, Bilder D, Coon H, McMahon WM (2016 Jul). A description of medical conditions in adults with autism spectrum disorder: A follow-up of the 1980s Utah/UCLA Autism Epidemiologic Study. Autism, 20(5), 551-61.
- Ruiz LM, Damron M, Jones KB, Weedon D, Carbone PS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA (2016 Jun). Antipsychotic Use and Metabolic Monitoring in Individuals with Developmental Disabilities Served in a Medicaid Medical Home. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(6), 1887-1894.
- Cannon DS, Medina TR, Mermelstein RJ, Hedeker D, Bakian AV, Coon H, Cook EH, Hamil C, Weiss RB (2016 Feb). CYP2A6 Longitudinal Effects in Young Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 18(2), 196-203.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Han I, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Durkin M, Kirby RS, Wingate MS, Tian LH, Zahorodny WM, Pearson DA, Moy LA 3rd, Baio J (2015 Dec 01). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and proximity to industrial facilities releasing arsenic, lead or mercury. Sci Total Environ, 536, 245-251.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Coon H, McMahon WM (2015 Apr). Spatial relative risk patterns of autism spectrum disorders in Utah. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(4), 988-1000.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015 Mar 01). Bakian et al. respond to "Assessing air pollution and suicide risk". Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 309-10.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Carbone PS, Hunt TD, Petersen B, Rice CE (2015 Mar). Brief report: independent validation of autism spectrum disorder case status in the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network Site. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(3), 873-80.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015 Mar 01). Acute air pollution exposure and risk of suicide completion. Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 295-303.
- Darlington TM, Pimentel R, Smith K, Bakian AV, Jerominski L, Cardon J, Camp NJ, Callor WB, Grey T, Singleton M, Yandell M, Renshaw PF, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Gray D, Coon H (2014 Oct 21). Identifying rare variants for genetic risk through a combined pedigree and phenotype approach: application to suicide and asthma. Transl Psychiatry, 4, e471.
- Gray D, Coon H, McGlade E, Callor WB, Byrd J, Viskochil J, Bakian A, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, McMahon WM (2014 Jun). Comparative analysis of suicide, accidental, and undetermined cause of death classification. Suicide Life Threat Behav, 44(3), 304-16.
- Maenner MJ, Rice CE, Arneson CL, Cunniff C, Schieve LA, Carpenter LA, Van Naarden Braun K, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Durkin MS (2014 Mar). Potential impact of DSM-5 criteria on autism spectrum disorder prevalence estimates. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(3), 292-300.
- Coon H, Darlington T, Pimentel R, Smith KR, Huff CD, Hu H, Jerominski L, Hansen J, Klein M, Callor WB, Byrd J, Bakian A, Crowell SE, McMahon WM, Rajamanickam V, Camp NJ, McGlade E, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, Gray D (2013 Nov 19). Genetic risk factors in two Utah pedigrees at high risk for suicide. Transl Psychiatry, 3, e325.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Viskochil J, Clark EA, Botts EL, Smith KR, Pimentel R, McMahon WM, Coon H (2013 Nov). Maternal prenatal weight gain and autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics, 132(5), e1276-83.
- Bilder DA, Burton BK, Coon H, Leviton L, Ashworth J, Lundy BD, Vespa H, Bakian AV, Longo N (2013 Mar). Psychiatric symptoms in adults with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab, 108(3), 155-60.
- Bilder DA, Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Miller JS, Dorius JT, Nangle B, McMahon WM (2013 Mar). Prenatal and perinatal factors associated with intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil, 118(2), 156-76.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA, Paxton EH (). Elucidating spatially-explicit behavioral landscapes in the Willow Flycatcher. Ecol Modell, 232, 119-132.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Fombonne E, Bilder D, Taylor J, McMahon WM (2012 Apr). Changes in the administrative prevalence of autism spectrum disorders: contribution of special education and health from 2002-2008. J Autism Dev Disord, 42(4), 521-30.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bilder D, Bakian A, Satterfield R, Carbone PS, Nangle BE, Randall H, McMahon WM (2011 Dec). Sociodemographic risk factors associated with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Autism Research, 4(6), 438-48.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV (2011). Just under 1% of adults living in the community in England are estimated to have autism spectrum disorders. Evid Based Ment Health, 14(4), 89.
- Lorenz T, Sullivan KA, Bakian AV, Aubry C (). Cache-size selection in Clark’s Nutcracker (Nucifraga Columbiana). The Auk: a quarterly journal of ornithology, 128(2), 237-247.
- Zimmerman-Pinborough J, Bakian AV (). Utah autism rates climb. Utah Special Educator, 33, 10-11.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA (). The effectiveness of institutional intervention on minimizing demographic inertia and improving the representation of women faculty in higher education. International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, 2, 206-234.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Scholl L, Renshaw PF, Kondo D (). Dietary creatine and depression risk among U.S. adults. Transl Psychiatry.
- Bilder DA, Esplin MS, Coon H, Burghardt P, Clark EAS, Fraser A, Smith KR, Rayner T, Chappelle K, Bakian AV (). Autism linked to excess premature fetal steroidogenic activity. J Autism Dev Disord.
- Gregerson C, Bakian AV, Wilkes J, Knighton A, Nkoy F, Sweney M, Filloux F, Bonkowsky J (). Disparities in Pediatric Epilepsy Remission are Associated with Race and Ethnicity. J Child Neurol.
- Coon H, Gregg C, and Bakian AV (). Genomic, biological, epigenetic, and environmental issues. In Scott D. Wright (Ed.), The Challenge and Promise of ASD in Mid and Later Life. Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV (). Just under 1% of adults living in the community in England are estimated to have autism spectrum disorders. Evid Based Ment Health, 14(4), 89.
- Bakian AV, Mendoza D, VanDerslice J, Chen D, Coon H, Kingsbury C, Taxin N, McMahon WM, Fraser A, Zhang Y, Bilder DA (). The independent, moderating, and interaction effects of prenatal exposure to maternal smoking and ambient fine particulate matter on risk of autism spectrum disorder [Abstract]. Annual meeting of the International Society for Autism Research, Montreal, CA.
- Palmer C, Bakian AV, Esplin M, Clark EA, Fraser A, Coon H, Dager S, Bilder D (). Prenatal metabolic syndrome and autism spectrum disorder: the moderating influence of familial history [Abstract]. Annual meeting of the International Society for Autism Research, Montreal, CA.
- William N, Darlington T, Ferris E, Bakian A, Keeshin B, Callor B, Jerominski L, Puzia M, Crowell S, Gray D, Christensen E, Coon H (). Exploring genetic risk for suicide in a high-risk suicide pedigree with a significant increase of female suicides [Abstract]. International Summit on Suicide Research, Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Bakian AV, Zhang Y, Callor WB, Zhe Y, Smith KR, Hanson H, Berger J, VanDerslice J, Docherty A, Crowell S, Keeshin B, Puzia M, William N, Darlington T, Cannon D, Chen D, Coon H (). A population-wide assessment of the familial risk of suicide in Utah [Abstract]. International Summit on Suicide Research, , Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Docherty A, Moscati A, Bakian A, Crowell S, Darlington D, Wallace G, William N, Puzia M, Bacanu S, Coon H (). Polygenic prediction of the phnome in completed suicide (N=4500) [Abstract]. International Summit on Suicide Research, Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Bakian AV, Palmer CA, Kingsbury C, Taxin N, McMahon WM, Bilder DA (). Changes in the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder in Utah: a cohort approach [Abstract]. Annual Meeting of the International Society for Autism Research, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Bakian AV, VanDerslice J, Zhang Y, Robison B, Callor W, Grey T, Gray D, Berger J, Coon K (). A population-wide assessment of the familial risk of suicide in Utah, USA [Abstract].
- Ruiz LM, Damron M, Jones KB, Weedon D, Carbone PS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA (). Antipsychotic medication use and metabolic monitoring in an integrated outpatient clinic for individuals with autism and other neurodevelopmental disabilities [Abstract].
- Clark EAS, Bilder D, Coon H, Esplin S, Varner M, Bakian, AV (). Association of induced and/or augmented labor with autism spectrum disorder in a gestational age-stratified Utah cohort [Abstract].
- Lorenz TJ, Sullivan, KA, Bakian, AV (). Spring and summer space use by Clark’s Nutcrackers on the eastern slopes of the Washington Cascades [Abstract]. Northwestern Naturalist, 92(2), 136-166.
- Bakian AV, Paxton EH (). Home range, movement, and habitat use of Willow Flycatchers, Fish Creek, Utah – 2003. Flagstaff, AZ: U.S. Geological Survey.