Amanda V. Bakian, PhD
- Experimental Design, Outcomes Research
- Geographical Epidemiology
- Gene-Environment Interaction
- Public Health Surveillance Systems
- Spatial Statistics
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Psychiatry - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Child Psychiatry, Public Health
Academic Office Information
Department of Psychiatry
650 Komas Drive, Room: 206
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Bakian joined the Department of Psychiatry in 2010 as epidemiologist for the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities (URADD). In 2011, she joined the Psychiatry faculty. Amanda oversees the operation of two public health surveillance systems in Utah. She is currently Director and Epidemiologist of the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities and Principal Investigator of the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Project, which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. Her research is in environment, gene by environment and phenotype by environment contributors to psychiatric conditions including autism and suicide. A secondary research goal of Dr. Bakian's is to apply her expertise in biostatistics and epidemiology to support collaborative research efforts aimed at elucidating risk of complex diseases. Dr. Bakian's research falls into four areas including 1) improving public health surveillance methods and approaches for autism, 2) disentangling autism’s complex etiology, 3) identifying environmental and familial risk factors for suicide, and 4) contributing study design and analysis expertise to collaborative clinical research projects.
|Post Graduate Training||University of Utah
Comparative Effectiveness Research
|Doctoral Training||Utah State University
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
- Gregerson CHY, Bakian AV, Wilkes J, Knighton AJ, Nkoy F, Sweney M, Filloux FM, Bonkowsky JL (2019). Disparities in Pediatric Epilepsy Remission Are Associated With Race and Ethnicity. J Child Neurol, 883073819866623.
- Bilder DA, Esplin MS, Coon H, Burghardt P, Clark EAS, Fraser A, Smith KR, Worsham W, Chappelle K, Rayner T, Bakian AV (2019). Early Second Trimester Maternal Serum Steroid-Related Biomarkers Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder. (Epub ahead of print) J Autism Dev Disord.
- Ombach HJ, Scholl LS, Bakian AV, Renshaw KT, Sung YH, Renshaw PF, Kanekar S (2019). Association between altitude, prescription opioid misuse, and fatal overdoses. Addict Behav Rep, 9, 100167.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Pearson DA, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Zahorodny WM, Moy LA 3rd, Durkin M, Slay Wingate M (2017). Autism spectrum disorder reporting in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. Autism, 21(4), 470-480.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Stevenson DA, Carbone PS, Cunniff C, Goodman AB, McMahon WM, Fisher NP, Viskochil D (2016). Brief Report: The Prevalence of Neurofibromatosis Type 1 among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Identified by the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(10), 3369-76.
- McGlade E, Bakian A, Coon H, Yurgelun-Todd D, Callor WB, Byrd J, Gray D (2016). Male suspected suicide decedents in Utah: A comparison of Veterans and nonveterans. Compr Psychiatry, 69, 1-10.
- Jones KB, Cottle K, Bakian A, Farley M, Bilder D, Coon H, McMahon WM (2016). A description of medical conditions in adults with autism spectrum disorder: A follow-up of the 1980s Utah/UCLA Autism Epidemiologic Study. Autism, 20(5), 551-61.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Kirby RS, Durkin MS, Han I, Moy LA 3rd, Pearson DA, Wingate MS, Zahorodny WM (2016). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and associations with air concentrations of lead, mercury, and arsenic. Environ Monit Assess, 188(7), 407.
- Ruiz LM, Damron M, Jones KB, Weedon D, Carbone PS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA (2016). Antipsychotic Use and Metabolic Monitoring in Individuals with Developmental Disabilities Served in a Medicaid Medical Home. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(6), 1887-1894.
- Cannon DS, Medina TR, Mermelstein RJ, Hedeker D, Bakian AV, Coon H, Cook EH, Hamil C, Weiss RB (2016). CYP2A6 Longitudinal Effects in Young Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 18(2), 196-203.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Han I, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Durkin M, Kirby RS, Wingate MS, Tian LH, Zahorodny WM, Pearson DA, Moy LA 3rd, Baio J (2015). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and proximity to industrial facilities releasing arsenic, lead or mercury. Sci Total Environ, 536, 245-251.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Coon H, McMahon WM (2015). Spatial relative risk patterns of autism spectrum disorders in Utah. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(4), 988-1000.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Carbone PS, Hunt TD, Petersen B, Rice CE (2015). Brief report: independent validation of autism spectrum disorder case status in the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network Site. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(3), 873-80.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Acute air pollution exposure and risk of suicide completion. Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 295-303.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Bakian et al. respond to "Assessing air pollution and suicide risk". Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 309-10.
- Darlington TM, Pimentel R, Smith K, Bakian AV, Jerominski L, Cardon J, Camp NJ, Callor WB, Grey T, Singleton M, Yandell M, Renshaw PF, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Gray D, Coon H (2014). Identifying rare variants for genetic risk through a combined pedigree and phenotype approach: application to suicide and asthma. Transl Psychiatry, 4, e471.
- Gray D, Coon H, McGlade E, Callor WB, Byrd J, Viskochil J, Bakian A, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, McMahon WM (2014). Comparative analysis of suicide, accidental, and undetermined cause of death classification. Suicide Life Threat Behav, 44(3), 304-16.
- Maenner MJ, Rice CE, Arneson CL, Cunniff C, Schieve LA, Carpenter LA, Van Naarden Braun K, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Durkin MS (2014). Potential impact of DSM-5 criteria on autism spectrum disorder prevalence estimates. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(3), 292-300.
- Coon H, Darlington T, Pimentel R, Smith KR, Huff CD, Hu H, Jerominski L, Hansen J, Klein M, Callor WB, Byrd J, Bakian A, Crowell SE, McMahon WM, Rajamanickam V, Camp NJ, McGlade E, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, Gray D (2013). Genetic risk factors in two Utah pedigrees at high risk for suicide. Transl Psychiatry, 3, e325.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Viskochil J, Clark EA, Botts EL, Smith KR, Pimentel R, McMahon WM, Coon H (2013). Maternal prenatal weight gain and autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics, 132(5), e1276-83.
- Bilder DA, Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Miller JS, Dorius JT, Nangle B, McMahon WM (2013). Prenatal and perinatal factors associated with intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil, 118(2), 156-76.
- Bilder DA, Burton BK, Coon H, Leviton L, Ashworth J, Lundy BD, Vespa H, Bakian AV, Longo N (2013). Psychiatric symptoms in adults with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab, 108(3), 155-60.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Fombonne E, Bilder D, Taylor J, McMahon WM (2012). Changes in the administrative prevalence of autism spectrum disorders: contribution of special education and health from 2002-2008. J Autism Dev Disord, 42(4), 521-30.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA, Paxton EH (2012). Elucidating spatially-explicit behavioral landscapes in the Willow Flycatcher. Ecol Modell, 232, 119-132.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bilder D, Bakian A, Satterfield R, Carbone PS, Nangle BE, Randall H, McMahon WM (2011). Sociodemographic risk factors associated with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Autism Research, 4(6), 438-48.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV (2011). Just under 1% of adults living in the community in England are estimated to have autism spectrum disorders. Evid Based Ment Health, 14(4), 89.
- Lorenz T, Sullivan KA, Bakian AV, Aubry C (2011). Cache-size selection in Clark’s Nutcracker (Nucifraga Columbiana). The Auk: a quarterly journal of ornithology, 128(2), 237-247.
- Zimmerman-Pinborough J, Bakian AV (2010). Utah autism rates climb. Utah Special Educator, 33, 10-11.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA (2010). The effectiveness of institutional intervention on minimizing demographic inertia and improving the representation of women faculty in higher education. International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, 2, 206-234.