Amanda V. Bakian, PhD
- Experimental Design, Outcomes Research
- Geographical Epidemiology
- Gene-Environment Interaction
- Public Health Surveillance Systems
- Spatial Statistics
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Psychiatry - Research Associate Professor
- Divisions: Child Psychiatry, Public Health
Academic Office Information
Department of Psychiatry
650 Komas Drive, Room: 206
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Amanda Bakian, PhD is a Research Associate Professor, environmental epidemiologist, biostatistician, and Director of the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities (URADD). Her research aims to identify environmental, geographical, and familial contributors to the risk of psychiatric conditions including autism spectrum disorder and suicide. In particular, she is interested in how environmental exposures such as ambient air pollution interact with individual- and neighborhood-level characteristics to increase vulnerability to psychiatric conditions. As URADD Director, she oversees the operation of a public health surveillance system for autism and other developmental disabilities. She is also the Principal Investigator of the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring project, which aims to estimate the prevalence of autism in Utah and determine how characteristics of children with autism have changed over time. Dr. Bakian is also Principal Investigator of a five-year study funded by the National Institutes of Health to investigate how mixtures of air pollution and weather exposures influence the risk of suicide.
|Post Graduate Training||University of Utah
Comparative Effectiveness Research
|Doctoral Training||Utah State University
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
- Bakian AV, Chen D, Zhang C, Hanson HA, Docherty AR, Keeshin B, Gray D, Smith KR, VanDerslice JA, Yu DZ, Zhang Y, Coon H (2021). A population-wide analysis of the familial risk of suicide in Utah, USA. Psychol Med, 1-10.
- Monson ET, Shabalin AA, Docherty AR, DiBlasi E, Bakian AV, Li QS, Gray D, Keeshin B, Crowell SE, Mullins N, Willour VL, Coon H (2021). Assessment of suicide attempt and death in bipolar affective disorder: a combined clinical and genetic approach. Transl Psychiatry, 11(1), 379.
- DiBlasi E, Shabalin AA, Monson ET, Keeshin BR, Bakian AV, Kirby AV, Ferris E, Chen D, William N, Gaj E, Klein M, Jerominski L, Callor WB, Christensen E, Smith KR, Fraser A, Yu Z, Gray D, PsychChip Investigators of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium, Camp NJ, Stahl EA, Li QS, Docherty AR, Coon H (2021). Rare protein-coding variants implicate genes involved in risk of suicide death. (Epub ahead of print) Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet.
- DiBlasi E, Kirby AV, Gaj E, Docherty AR, Keeshin BR, Bakian AV, Coon H (2021). Brief Report: Genetic Links Between Autism and Suicidal Behavior-A Preliminary Investigation. J Autism Dev Disord, 50(10), 3525-3530.
- Docherty AR, Shabalin AA, DiBlasi E, Monson E, Mullins N, Adkins DE, Bacanu SA, Bakian AV, Crowell S, Chen D, Darlington TM, Callor WB, Christensen ED, Gray D, Keeshin B, Klein M, Anderson JS, Jerominski L, Hayward C, Porteous DJ, McIntosh A, Li Q, Coon H (2021). Genome-Wide Association Study of Suicide Death and Polygenic Prediction of Clinical Antecedents. Am J Psychiatry, 177(10), 917-927.
- Kious BM, Bakian AV (2020). Evidence of new-onset depression among persons with migraine after discontinuing antidepressants. Psychiatry Res, 288, 112990.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Scholl L, Renshaw PF, Kondo D (2020). Dietary creatine intake and depression risk among U.S. adults. Transl Psychiatry, 10(1), 52.
- Gregerson CHY, Bakian AV, Wilkes J, Knighton AJ, Nkoy F, Sweney M, Filloux FM, Bonkowsky JL (2019). Disparities in Pediatric Epilepsy Remission Are Associated With Race and Ethnicity. J Child Neurol, 34(14), 928-936.
- Bilder DA, Esplin MS, Coon H, Burghardt P, Clark EAS, Fraser A, Smith KR, Worsham W, Chappelle K, Rayner T, Bakian AV (2019). Early Second Trimester Maternal Serum Steroid-Related Biomarkers Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord, 49(11), 4572-4583.
- Ombach HJ, Scholl LS, Bakian AV, Renshaw KT, Sung YH, Renshaw PF, Kanekar S (2019). Association between altitude, prescription opioid misuse, and fatal overdoses. Addict Behav Rep, 9, 100167.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Pearson DA, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Zahorodny WM, Moy LA 3rd, Durkin M, Slay Wingate M (2017). Autism spectrum disorder reporting in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. Autism, 21(4), 470-480.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Stevenson DA, Carbone PS, Cunniff C, Goodman AB, McMahon WM, Fisher NP, Viskochil D (2016). Brief Report: The Prevalence of Neurofibromatosis Type 1 among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Identified by the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(10), 3369-76.
- McGlade E, Bakian A, Coon H, Yurgelun-Todd D, Callor WB, Byrd J, Gray D (2016). Male suspected suicide decedents in Utah: A comparison of Veterans and nonveterans. Compr Psychiatry, 69, 1-10.
- Jones KB, Cottle K, Bakian A, Farley M, Bilder D, Coon H, McMahon WM (2016). A description of medical conditions in adults with autism spectrum disorder: A follow-up of the 1980s Utah/UCLA Autism Epidemiologic Study. Autism, 20(5), 551-61.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Kirby RS, Durkin MS, Han I, Moy LA 3rd, Pearson DA, Wingate MS, Zahorodny WM (2016). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and associations with air concentrations of lead, mercury, and arsenic. Environ Monit Assess, 188(7), 407.
- Ruiz LM, Damron M, Jones KB, Weedon D, Carbone PS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA (2016). Antipsychotic Use and Metabolic Monitoring in Individuals with Developmental Disabilities Served in a Medicaid Medical Home. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(6), 1887-1894.
- Cannon DS, Medina TR, Mermelstein RJ, Hedeker D, Bakian AV, Coon H, Cook EH, Hamil C, Weiss RB (2016). CYP2A6 Longitudinal Effects in Young Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 18(2), 196-203.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Han I, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Durkin M, Kirby RS, Wingate MS, Tian LH, Zahorodny WM, Pearson DA, Moy LA 3rd, Baio J (2015). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and proximity to industrial facilities releasing arsenic, lead or mercury. Sci Total Environ, 536, 245-251.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Coon H, McMahon WM (2015). Spatial relative risk patterns of autism spectrum disorders in Utah. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(4), 988-1000.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Carbone PS, Hunt TD, Petersen B, Rice CE (2015). Brief report: independent validation of autism spectrum disorder case status in the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network Site. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(3), 873-80.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Acute air pollution exposure and risk of suicide completion. Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 295-303.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Bakian et al. respond to "Assessing air pollution and suicide risk". Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 309-10.
- Darlington TM, Pimentel R, Smith K, Bakian AV, Jerominski L, Cardon J, Camp NJ, Callor WB, Grey T, Singleton M, Yandell M, Renshaw PF, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Gray D, Coon H (2014). Identifying rare variants for genetic risk through a combined pedigree and phenotype approach: application to suicide and asthma. Transl Psychiatry, 4, e471.
- Gray D, Coon H, McGlade E, Callor WB, Byrd J, Viskochil J, Bakian A, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, McMahon WM (2014). Comparative analysis of suicide, accidental, and undetermined cause of death classification. Suicide Life Threat Behav, 44(3), 304-16.
- Maenner MJ, Rice CE, Arneson CL, Cunniff C, Schieve LA, Carpenter LA, Van Naarden Braun K, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Durkin MS (2014). Potential impact of DSM-5 criteria on autism spectrum disorder prevalence estimates. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(3), 292-300.
- Coon H, Darlington T, Pimentel R, Smith KR, Huff CD, Hu H, Jerominski L, Hansen J, Klein M, Callor WB, Byrd J, Bakian A, Crowell SE, McMahon WM, Rajamanickam V, Camp NJ, McGlade E, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, Gray D (2013). Genetic risk factors in two Utah pedigrees at high risk for suicide. Transl Psychiatry, 3, e325.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Viskochil J, Clark EA, Botts EL, Smith KR, Pimentel R, McMahon WM, Coon H (2013). Maternal prenatal weight gain and autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics, 132(5), e1276-83.
- Bilder DA, Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Miller JS, Dorius JT, Nangle B, McMahon WM (2013). Prenatal and perinatal factors associated with intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil, 118(2), 156-76.
- Bilder DA, Burton BK, Coon H, Leviton L, Ashworth J, Lundy BD, Vespa H, Bakian AV, Longo N (2013). Psychiatric symptoms in adults with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab, 108(3), 155-60.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Fombonne E, Bilder D, Taylor J, McMahon WM (2012). Changes in the administrative prevalence of autism spectrum disorders: contribution of special education and health from 2002-2008. J Autism Dev Disord, 42(4), 521-30.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA, Paxton EH (2012). Elucidating spatially-explicit behavioral landscapes in the Willow Flycatcher. Ecol Modell, 232, 119-132.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bilder D, Bakian A, Satterfield R, Carbone PS, Nangle BE, Randall H, McMahon WM (2011). Sociodemographic risk factors associated with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Autism Research, 4(6), 438-48.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV (2011). Just under 1% of adults living in the community in England are estimated to have autism spectrum disorders. Evid Based Ment Health, 14(4), 89.
- Lorenz T, Sullivan KA, Bakian AV, Aubry C (2011). Cache-size selection in Clark’s Nutcracker (Nucifraga Columbiana). The Auk: a quarterly journal of ornithology, 128(2), 237-247.
- Zimmerman-Pinborough J, Bakian AV (2010). Utah autism rates climb. Utah Special Educator, 33, 10-11.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA (2010). The effectiveness of institutional intervention on minimizing demographic inertia and improving the representation of women faculty in higher education. International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, 2, 206-234.
- Bilder DA, Esplin MS, Coon H, Burghardt P, Clark EAS, Fraser A, Smith KR, Worsham W, Chappelle K, Rayner T, Bakian AV (2019). Correction to: Early Second Trimester Maternal Serum Steroid‑Related Biomarkers Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord (49(11), p. 4584). United States.
- Changes Associated with Autism Risk May Be Detected as Early as the Second Trimester
- Children Are Being Evaluated at a Younger Age for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Air Pollution's Dirty Secret: Higher Risk for Suicide in the Salt Lake Valley