Masaru Teramoto, PhD, MPH
- Sports/Exercise Epidemiology
- Quantitative Analysis of Human Behavior
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Departments: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation - Research Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
University Orthopaedic Center
590 Wakara Way, Room: 3315
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Masaru (Masa) Teramoto, PhD, MPH is a Research Assistant Professor in the Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. His research focuses on sports/exercise epidemiology and sports analytics. He also serves as a statistician to help other researchers. He is a member of the American Statistical Association. Prior to joining University of Utah, he was a faculty member at Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA).
|Graduate Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
|Doctoral Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Sports Education and Leadership
|Graduate Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
|Undergraduate||Utah State University
Physical Education with Emphasis in Exercise Science
|Essence System Co, Ltd||Software Engineer||Japan|
- Campian MD, Flis AE, Teramoto M, Cushman DM (2018). Self-reported use and attitudes toward performance enhancing drugs in ultramarathon running. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 29(3), 330-337.
- Cushman D, Hendrick J, Teramoto M, Fogg B, Bradley S, Hansen C (2018). Reliability of the balance error scoring system in a population with protracted recovery from mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Injury, 32(5), 569-574.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Rieger RH, Maak TG, Willick SE (2018). Predictive validity of National Basketball Association Draft Combine on future performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 32(2), 396-408.
- Dalbo VJ, Hiskens MI, Teramoto M, Kingsley MI, Young KC, Scanlan AT (2018). Residents of Central Queensland, Australia are aware of healthy eating practices but consume unhealthy diets. Sports, 5(4), 94.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL (2018). Importance of team height to winning games in the National Basketball Association. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 13(4), 559-568.
- Berkelmans D, Dalbo V, Fox J, Stanton R, Kean C, Giamarelos K, Teramoto M, Scanlan A (2018). Influence of different methods to determine maximum heart rate on training load outcomes in basketball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 32(11), 3177-3185.
- Dalbo VJ, Hiskens MI, Teramoto M, Kingsley MI, Young KC, amp Scanlan AT (2017). Residents of Central Queensland, Australia are aware of healthy eating practices but consume unhealthy diets. Sports, 5(4), sports5040094.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Cushman DM, Maak TG, Petron DJ, Willick SE (2017). Game injuries in relation to game schedules in the National Basketball Association. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 20(3), 230-235.
- Teramoto M, Cushman DM, Cross CL, Curtiss HM, Willick SE (2017). Game schedules and rate of concussions in the National Football League. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 5(11), 232596711774086.
- Willick SE, Wagner G, Ericson D, Josten G, Teramoto M, Davis J (2017). Helmet Use and Risk-Taking Behavior Among Skiers and Snowboarders.LID - 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000527 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Clin J Sport Med.
- McDonald JW, Henrie AM, Teramoto M, Medina E, Willick SE (2017). Descriptive epidemiology, medical evaluation and outcomes of rock climbing injuries. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 28(3), 185-196.
- Cushman D, Teramoto M, Curtis B, Lee DT, Marcolina A, McCormick Z (2017). Does trainee involvement in fluoroscopic injections affect fluoroscopic time, immediate pain reduction, and complication rate? PM&R, 9(10), 1013-1019.
- Dalbo V, Teramoto M, Roberts MD, Scanlan AT (2017). Lack of reality: positive self-perceptions of health in the presence of disease. Sports Medicine, 5(2), 23.
- Cushman D, Henrie M, Scholl LV, Ludlow M, Teramoto M (2017). Ultrasound Verification of Safe Needle Examination of the Rhomboid Major Muscle. 2017 Mar 8. doi: 10.1002/mus.25642. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28271533. Muscle & Nerve, 57(1), 61-64.
- Scanlan A, Teramoto M, Delforce M, Dalbo, V (2016). Do better things come in smaller packages? Reducing game duration slows game pace and alters statistics associated with winning in basketball. The effects of reducing game duration on team statistics in basketball. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 16(1), 157-170.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Willick SE (2016). Predictive value of National Football League Scouting Combine on future performance of running backs and wide receivers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30(5), 1379-1390.
- Teramoto M, Petron DJ, Cross CL, Willick SE (2015). Style of play and rate of concussions in the National Football League. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 3(12), 232596711562036.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S, Cross CL, Chino M, Alpert PT (2015). Association of leisure-time physical activity to cardiovascular disease prevalence in relation to smoking among adult Nevadans. PLoS ONE, 10(5), e0128424.
- Haboush-Deloye A, Hensley S, Teramoto M, Phebus T, Tanata-Ashby D (2014). The impacts of health insurance coverage on access to healthcare in children entering kindergarten. Matern Child Health J, 18(7), 1753-64.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S (2013). Analysis of risk and protective factors for arthritis status and severity using survey data. Int J Stat Med Res, 2(3), 192-9.
- Wagner DR, Teramoto M, Knott JR, Fry JP (2012). Comparison of scoring systems for assessment of acute mountain sickness. High Alt Med Biol, 13(4), 245-51.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S (2011). Physical activity participation among adult Nevadans with self-reported asthma. J Asthma, 48(5), 517-22.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL (2010). Relative importance of performance factors in winning NBA games in regular season versus playoffs. J Quant Anal Sports, 6(3), Article 2.
- Teramoto M, Golding LA (2009). Regular exercise and plasma lipid levels associated with the risk of coronary heart disease: a 20-year longitudinal study. Res Q Exerc Sport, 80(2), 138-45.
- Moon JR, Hull HR, Tobkin SE, Teramoto M, Karabulut M, Roberts MD, Ryan ED, Kim SJ, Dalbo VJ, Walter AA, Smith AT, Cramer JT, Stout JR (2007). Percent body fat estimations in college women using field and laboratory methods: a three-compartment model approach. J Int Soc Sports Nutr, 4, 16.
- Teramoto M, Golding LA (2006). Low-intensity exercise, vascular occlusion, and muscular adaptations. Res Sports Med, 14(4), 259-71.
- Cushman DM, Borowski L, Hansen C, Hendrick J, Bushman T, Teramoto M (In Press). Gabapentin and tricyclics in the treatment of post-concussive headache, a retrospective cohort study. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain.
- Hansen C, Battikha M, Teramoto M (In Press). Complicated mild traumatic brain injury at a Level I pediatric trauma center: Burden of care and imaging findings. Pediatric Neurology.
- Wagner GE, Cushman DM, Teramoto M, McCormick ZL (In Press). Correlation between body mass index and fluoroscopy time in lumbar medial branch nerve radiofrequency ablation. PRM+ Journal of Quantitative Research in Rehabilitation Medicine.
- McCormick ZL, Choi H, Reddy R, Syed RH, Bhave M, Kendall MC, Khan D, Nagpal G, Teramoto M, Walega DR (In Press). A randomized prospective trial of cooled versus traditional radiofrequency ablation of the medial branch nerves for the treatment of lumbar facet joint pain. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
- Lotito A, Teramoto M, Cheung M, Becker K, Sukumar D (2017). Serum Parathyroid Hormone Responses to Vitamin D Supplementation in Overweight/Obese Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. 2017 Mar 6;9(3). pii: E241. doi: 10.3390/nu9030241. Review. PMID: 28272298. [Review]. Nutrients.
- Teramoto M, Bungum TJ, Landwer GE, Wagner DR (2015). Association of physical activity to the risk of obesity in adults with physical disabilities. [Review]. Obesity Research - Open Journal, 1(1), 17-24.
- Teramoto M, Bungum TJ (2010). Mortality and longevity of elite athletes. [Review]. J Sci Med Sport, 13(4), 410-6.
- Moonie S, Seggev JS, Shan G, Pergola B, Teramoto M (2015). Longitudinal trends in asthma health care use in Southern Nevada [Letter to the editor]. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol, 114(1), 70-72.e2.
- Mike Vorkunov (2016). How football’s most popular offensive system leads to more concussions [Web]. RollingStone. Available: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/west-coast-offense-leads-to-more-concussions-w442785.
- Tom Haberstroh (2016). Scheduled to sit: When resting is serious business [Web]. ESPN. Available: http://scores.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17600760/dnp-rest-research-science-scheduling-sit-nba.
- Kevin Clark (2016). Can playbooks lead to concussions? [Web]. The Ringer. Available: https://theringer.com/can-playbooks-lead-to-concussions-deep-coverage-28efb263faa1#.qjv68o5zn.
- A J Perez (2016). Study: NFL’s West Coast offenses put players at higher risk [Web]. USA Today. Available: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/15/nfl-west-coast-offense-study-concussion-injury-rate/78843392/.
- The Bulletin Markian Hawryluk (2013). Olympic athletes live longer [Web]. The Bulletin. Available: http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/1368067-151/olympic-athletes-live-longer.