Masaru Teramoto, PhD, MPH
- Sports/Exercise Epidemiology
- Quantitative Analysis of Human Behavior
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Departments: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation - Research Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
University Orthopaedic Center
590 Wakara Way, Room: 3315
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Masaru (Masa) Teramoto, PhD, MPH is a Research Assistant Professor in the Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. His research focuses on sports/exercise epidemiology and sports analytics. He also serves as a statistician to help other researchers. He is a member of the American Statistical Association. Prior to joining University of Utah, he was a faculty member at Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA).
|Graduate Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
|Doctoral Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Sports Education and Leadership
|Graduate Training||University of Nevada, Las Vegas
|Undergraduate||Utah State University
Physical Education with Emphasis in Exercise Science
- Willick SE, Wagner G, Ericson D, Josten G, Teramoto M, Davis J (2019). Helmet Use and Risk-Taking Behavior Among Skiers and Snowboarders. Clin J Sport Med, 29(4), 329-335.
- Cushman DM, Christiansen J, Clements ND, Cunningham S, Teramoto M, McCormick ZL (2019). Infections after large joint or bursa injection: a survey of 554 sports medicine physicians. (Epub ahead of print) Am J Phys Med Rehabil.
- Miller GD, Teramoto M, Smeal SJ, Cushman D, Eichner D (2019). Assessing serum albumin concentration following exercise-induced fluid shifts in the context of the athlete biological passport. Drug Test Anal, 11(6), 782-791.
- Rudolph L, Willick S, Teramoto M, Cushman DM (2019). Adaptive Sports Injury Epidemiology. Sports Med Arthrosc, 27(2), e8-e11.
- Gardner JE, Teramoto M, Hansen C (2019). Factors Associated With Degree and Length of Recovery in Children With Mild and Complicated Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. (Epub ahead of print) Neurosurgery.
- Cushman DM, Borowski L, Hansen C, Hendrick J, Bushman T, Teramoto M (2018). Gabapentin and Tricyclics in the Treatment of Post-Concussive Headache, a Retrospective Cohort Study. Headache, 59(3), 371-382.
- McCormick ZL, Choi H, Reddy R, Syed RH, Bhave M, Kendall MC, Khan D, Nagpal G, Teramoto M, Walega DR (2018). Randomized prospective trial of cooled versus traditional radiofrequency ablation of the medial branch nerves for the treatment of lumbar facet joint pain. Reg Anesth Pain Med, 44(3), 389-397.
- Hansen C, Battikha M, Teramoto M (2018). Complicated Mild Traumatic Brain Injury at a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center: Burden of Care and Imaging Findings. Pediatr Neurol, 90, 31-36.
- Berkelmans DM, Dalbo VJ, Fox JL, Stanton R, Kean CO, Giamarelos KE, Teramoto M, Scanlan AT (2018). Influence of Different Methods to Determine Maximum Heart Rate on Training Load Outcomes in Basketball Players. J Strength Cond Res, 32(11), 3177-3185.
- Conger A, Burnham T, Cushman DM, Cunningham S, Teramoto M, Kendall R, McCormick ZL (2018). Does updated compared to older fluoroscopic imaging technology reduce radiation dose during interventional spine procedures? A pragmatic cohort study. PRM+ Journal of Quantitative Research in Rehabilitation Medicine, 1(2), 56-60.
- Wagner GE, Cushman DM, Teramoto M, McCormick ZL (2018). Correlation between body mass index and fluoroscopy time in lumbar medial branch nerve radiofrequency ablation. PRM+ Journal of Quantitative Research in Rehabilitation Medicine, 1(2), 37-41.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Cushman DM, Willick SE (2018). Boxing fatalities in relation to rule changes in Japan: secondary data analysis. Phys Sportsmed, 46(3), 349-354.
- Campian MD, Flis AE, Teramoto M, Cushman DM (2018). Self-Reported Use and Attitudes Toward Performance-Enhancing Drugs in Ultramarathon Running. Wilderness Environ Med, 29(3), 330-337.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL (2018). Importance of team height to winning games in the National Basketball Association. Int J Sports Sci Coach, 13(4), 559-568.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Rieger RH, Maak TG, Willick SE (2017). Predictive Validity of National Basketball Association Draft Combine on Future Performance. J Strength Cond Res, 32(2), 396-408.
- Cushman D, Henrie M, Vernon Scholl L, Ludlow M, Teramoto M (2017). Ultrasound Verification Of Safe Needle Examination Of The Rhomboid Major Muscle. Muscle Nerve, 57(1), 61-64.
- Cushman D, Hendrick J, Teramoto M, Fogg B, Bradley S, Hansen C (2018). Reliability of the balance error scoring system in a population with protracted recovery from mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj, 32(5), 569-574.
- Dalbo VJ, Hiskens MI, Teramoto M, Kingsley MI, Young KC, Scanlan AT (2017). Residents of Central Queensland, Australia Are Aware of Healthy Eating Practices but Consume Unhealthy Diets. Sports, 5(4).
- Teramoto M, Cushman DM, Cross CL, Curtiss HM, Willick SE (2017). Game Schedules and Rate of Concussions in the National Football League. Orthop J Sports Med, 5(11), 2325967117740862.
- Cushman D, Teramoto M, Curtis B, Lee DT, Marcolina A, McCormick Z (2017). Does Trainee Involvement in Fluoroscopic Injections Affect Fluoroscopic Time, Immediate Pain Reduction, and Complication Rate? PM R, 9(10), 1013-1019.
- McDonald JW, Henrie AM, Teramoto M, Medina E, Willick SE (2017). Descriptive Epidemiology, Medical Evaluation, and Outcomes of Rock Climbing Injuries. Wilderness Environ Med, 28(3), 185-196.
- Dalbo VJ, Teramoto M, Roberts MD, Scanlan AT (2017). Lack of Reality: Positive Self-Perceptions of Health in the Presence of Disease. Sports, 5(2).
- Lotito A, Teramoto M, Cheung M, Becker K, Sukumar D (2017). Serum Parathyroid Hormone Responses to Vitamin D Supplementation in Overweight/Obese Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Nutrients, 9(3).
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Cushman DM, Maak TG, Petron DJ, Willick SE (2017). Game injuries in relation to game schedules in the National Basketball Association. J Sci Med Sport, 20(3), 230-235.
- Campian MD, Cushman D, Henrie M, Teramoto M (2016). Poster 116 Ultrasound Verification of Palpatory Rib Identification for Safe Needle Examination of the Rhomboid Major Muscle. PM R, 8(9S), S199.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL, Willick SE (2016). Predictive Value of National Football League Scouting Combine on Future Performance of Running Backs and Wide Receivers. J Strength Cond Res, 30(5), 1379-90.
- Scanlan A, Teramoto M, Delforce M, Dalbo, V (2016). Do better things come in smaller packages? Reducing game duration slows game pace and alters statistics associated with winning in basketball. The effects of reducing game duration on team statistics in basketball. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 16(1), 157-170.
- Teramoto M, Petron DJ, Cross CL, Willick SE (2015). Style of Play and Rate of Concussions in the National Football League. Orthop J Sports Med, 3(12), 2325967115620365.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S, Cross CL, Chino M, Alpert PT (2015). Association of Leisure-Time Physical Activity to Cardiovascular Disease Prevalence in Relation to Smoking among Adult Nevadans. PLoS ONE, 10(5), e0128424.
- Haboush-Deloye A, Hensley S, Teramoto M, Phebus T, Tanata-Ashby D (2014). The impacts of health insurance coverage on access to healthcare in children entering kindergarten. Matern Child Health J, 18(7), 1753-64.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S (2013). Analysis of risk and protective factors for arthritis status and severity using survey data. Int J Stat Med Res, 2(3), 192-9.
- Wagner DR, Teramoto M, Knott JR, Fry JP (2012). Comparison of scoring systems for assessment of acute mountain sickness. High Alt Med Biol, 13(4), 245-51.
- Teramoto M, Moonie S (2011). Physical activity participation among adult Nevadans with self-reported asthma. J Asthma, 48(5), 517-22.
- Teramoto M, Cross CL (2010). Relative importance of performance factors in winning NBA games in regular season versus playoffs. J Quant Anal Sports, 6(3), Article 2.
- Teramoto M, Golding LA (2009). Regular exercise and plasma lipid levels associated with the risk of coronary heart disease: a 20-year longitudinal study. Res Q Exerc Sport, 80(2), 138-45.
- Moon JR, Hull HR, Tobkin SE, Teramoto M, Karabulut M, Roberts MD, Ryan ED, Kim SJ, Dalbo VJ, Walter AA, Smith AT, Cramer JT, Stout JR (2007). Percent body fat estimations in college women using field and laboratory methods: a three-compartment model approach. J Int Soc Sports Nutr, 4, 16.
- Teramoto M, Golding LA (2006). Low-intensity exercise, vascular occlusion, and muscular adaptations. Research in Sports Medicine, 14(4), 259-71.
- Conger A, Cushman DM, Speckman RA, Burnham T, Teramoto M, McCormick ZL (). The effectiveness of fluoroscopically-guided cervical transforaminal epidural steroid injection for the treatment of radicular pain; a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain Med.
- Lumba-Brown A, Teramoto M, Bloom J, Brody D, Chesnutt J, Clugston JR, Collins M, Gioia G, Kontos A, Lal A, Sills A, Ghajar J (). Concussion guidelines step 2: evidence for subtype classification. Neurosurgery.
- Teramoto M, Bungum TJ, Landwer GE, Wagner DR (2015). Association of physical activity to the risk of obesity in adults with physical disabilities. [Review]. Obesity Research - Open Journal, 1(1), 17-24.
- Teramoto M, Bungum TJ (2010). Mortality and longevity of elite athletes. [Review]. J Sci Med Sport, 13(4), 410-6.
- Moonie S, Seggev JS, Shan G, Pergola B, Teramoto M (2015). Longitudinal trends in asthma health care use in Southern Nevada. [Letter to the editor]. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol, 114(1), 70-72.e2.
- Knox J, Cushman D, Brobeck M, Teramoto M, Harmon K, Willick S (June, 2019). Development and evaluation of an electronic preparticipation physical evaluation system: a pilot feasibility study [Abstract]. 51(6 Suppl.), 589.
- Waller L, Teramoto, M, Hansen C (2019). Relationship between CT head findings and long-term recovery in children with complicated mild traumatic brain injury [Abstract]. 33(Suppl. 1), 104.
- Knox J, Cushman DM, Teramoto M, Brobeck M, Holman A, Willick S (2019). Descriptive epidemiology of concussions in youth mountain bike racing [Abstract]. 29(2), 164.
- Cummings K, Skinner L, Holman A, Haight P, Brobeck M, Teramoto M, Tang C, Cushman DM (2019). Does dry needling reduce subsequent soreness and cramping after a running race [Abstract]. 29(2), 110.
- Denq W, Lippman J, Cummings K, Teramoto M, Willick S (2019). Epidemiology of concussions among skiers and snowboarders presenting to U.S. Emergency Departments from 2013 to 2017 [Abstract]. 29(2), 111.
- Holman A, Cushman DM, Teramoto M, Brobeck M, Finnoff J, Willick S (2019). The NICA injury surveillance system: Descriptive epidemiology of injuries in interscholastic mountain bike racing [Abstract]. 29(2), 118.
- Holman A, Skinner L, Cummings K, Haight P, Brobeck M, Teramoto M, Tang C, Cushman DM (2019). Validation of sham dry needling in runners [Abstract]. 29(2), 118-119.
- Rudolph L, Teramoto M, Lee V, Lee K, Roberts T (2019). Injury epidemiology of the 36th Annual National Veterans Wheelchair Games [Abstract]. 29(2), 141-142.
- Gardner J, Teramoto M, Hansen C (2018). Gardner, J., Teramoto, M., & Hansen, C. (2018). Sports participation on and return to play in children with mild traumatic brain injury. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly, Orlando, FL. [Abstract]. 10(9S1), S3.
- McCormick ZL, Choi H, Reddy R, Syed RH, Bhave M, Kendall MC, Khan D, Nagpal G, Teramoto M, Walega DR (2018). A randomized comparative trial of medial branch nerve cooled versus traditional radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of zygaphophyseal joint pain; 6-month outcomes. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly, Orlando, FL. [Abstract]. 10(9S1), S5-S6.
- Capizzi A, Rudolph L, Hayes H, Teramoto M, Edgley S (2018). Assessing stroke patients’ steps using the Garmin Vivofit3: A validity study. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly, Orlando, FL. [Abstract]. 10(9S1), S36.
- McCormick Z, Choi H, Reddy R, Syed RH, Kendall MC, Bhave M, Khan D, Nagpal G, Teramoto M, Walega DR (2018). A randomized prospective comparative trial of water-cooled versus traditional radiofrequency ablation of the median branch nerve in the treatment of zygapophyseal joint pain: 6-month outcomes. North American Spine Society 33rd Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA [Abstract]. 18(8 Suppl.), S164.
- Woo M (2019). How much does the combine reveal about future NLF players? [Web]. Inside Science.
- Tom Haberstroh (2016). Scheduled to sit: When resting is serious business [Web]. ESPN. Available: http://scores.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17600760/dnp-rest-research-science-scheduling-sit-nba.
- Mike Vorkunov (2016). How football’s most popular offensive system leads to more concussions [Web]. RollingStone. Available: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/west-coast-offense-leads-to-more-concussions-w442785.
- Kevin Clark (2016). Can playbooks lead to concussions? [Web]. The Ringer. Available: https://theringer.com/can-playbooks-lead-to-concussions-deep-coverage-28efb263faa1#.qjv68o5zn.
- A J Perez (2016). Study: NFL’s West Coast offenses put players at higher risk [Web]. USA Today. Available: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/15/nfl-west-coast-offense-study-concussion-injury-rate/78843392/.
- The Bulletin Markian Hawryluk (2013). Olympic athletes live longer [Web]. The Bulletin. Available: http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/1368067-151/olympic-athletes-live-longer.