Richard Holubkov, PhD
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Professor, Pediatrics - Professor, Population Health Sciences - Adjunct Professor
- Divisions: Biostatistics, Pediatric Critical Care, Public Health
Academic Office Information
Pediatric Critical Care
295 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Holubkov has over 25 years of experience as an applied biostatistician, focusing on the design, execution and analysis of prospective interventional studies, with a focus on pediatrics and cardiology. Dr. Holubkov received his Ph.D. in Biostatistics from the University of Washington in 1995, and was a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh prior to joining the University of Utah in 2002. At the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Holubkov was chief biostatistician for the NHLBI Registries of Percutaneous Coronary Interventions and the two NHLBI Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigations (BARI), and he also directed the Coordinating Center for an industry-sponsored international randomized trial comparing two mechanical heart valves.
At the University of Utah, he is the Co-Principal Investigator and Chief Biostatistician for the NICHD Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (CPCCRN) Coordinating Center since the network'e (CPCCRN) inception, Director of the Coordinating Center for the NHLBI-funded Hydrocephalus Research Network (HCRN), Co-Director of the Study Design and Biostatistics Center in the Center for Clinical Sciences (CCTS), and the chief biostatistician for the NHLBI’s Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest (THAPCA) trials.
Dr. Holubkov also regularly teaches courses on the design and analysis of randomized clinical trials and mentors clinical investigators as well as students in the Masters of Statistics Program. Dr. Holubkov has authored or co-authored more than 100 publications in the areas of pediatrics, cardiology and statistical methodology. He serves on several Data Safety Monitoring Boards and protocol review committees.
|Doctoral Training||University of Washington
|Graduate Training||University of Washington
|Graduate Training||Carnegie-Mellon University
|Undergraduate||University of Chicago
- Wolfe HA, Sutton RM, Reeder RW, Meert KL, Pollack MM, Yates AR, Berger JT, Newth CJ, Carcillo JA, McQuillen PS, Harrison RE, Moler FW, Carpenter TC, Notterman DA, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN Pediatric Intensive Care Quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation PICqCPR investigators (2019). Functional outcomes among survivors of pediatric in-hospital cardiac arrest are associated with baseline neurologic and functional status, but not with diastolic blood pressure during CPR. Resuscitation, 143, 57-65.
- Topjian AA, Sutton RM, Reeder RW, Telford R, Meert KL, Yates AR, Morgan RW, Berger JT, Newth CJ, Carcillo JA, McQuillen PS, Harrison RE, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Carpenter TC, Notterman DA, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Zuppa AF, Graham K, Twelves C, Diliberto MA, Landis WP, Tomanio E, Kwok J, Bell MJ, Abraham A, Sapru A, Alkhouli MF, Heidemann S, Pawluszka A, Hall MW, Steele L, Shanley TP, Weber M, Dalton HJ, Bell A, Mourani PM, Malone K, Locandro C, Coleman W, Peterson A, Thelen J, Doctor A, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN Investigators (2019). The association of immediate post cardiac arrest diastolic hypertension and survival following pediatric cardiac arrest. Resuscitation, 141, 88-95.
- Topjian AA, Telford R, Holubkov R, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Dean JM, Moler FW, Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest THAPCA Trial Investigators (2019). The association of early post-resuscitation hypotension with discharge survival following targeted temperature management for pediatric in-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation, 141, 24-34.
- Sutton RM, Reeder RW, Landis WP, Meert KL, Yates AR, Morgan RW, Berger JT, Newth CJ, Carcillo JA, McQuillen PS, Harrison RE, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Carpenter TC, Notterman DA, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2019). Ventilation Rates and Pediatric In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Survival Outcomes. (Epub ahead of print) Crit Care Med.
- Flaherty BF, Jackson ML, Cox CS Jr, Clark A, Ewing-Cobbs L, Holubkov R, Moore KR, Patel RP, Keenan HT (2019). Ability of the PILOT score to predict 6-month functional outcome in pediatric patients with moderate-severe traumatic brain injury. (Epub ahead of print) J Pediatr Surg.
- Keenan HT, Clark AE, Holubkov R, Ewing-Cobbs L (2019). Changing Healthcare and School Needs in the First Year After Traumatic Brain Injury. (Epub ahead of print) J Head Trauma Rehabil.
- Christensen JR, Slomine BS, Silverstein FS, Page K, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Moler FW, Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest THAPCA Trial Investigators (2020). Cardiac Arrest Outcomes in Children With Preexisting Neurobehavioral Impairment. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 20(6), 510-517.
- Gildea MR, Moler FW, Page K, Pemberton VL, Holubkov R, Nadkarni VM, Dean JM, Olson LM (2018). Practice Patterns after the Therapeutic Hypothermia After Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Out-of-Hospital Trial: A Survey of Pediatric Critical Care Physicians. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 8(2), 71-77.
- Meert K, Slomine BS, Silverstein FS, Christensen J, Ichord R, Telford R, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Moler FW, Therapeutic Hypothermia after Paediatric Cardiac Arrest THAPCA Trial Investigatorss (2019). One-year cognitive and neurologic outcomes in survivors of paediatric extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Resuscitation, 139, 299-307.
- Slomine BS, Silverstein FS, Page K, Holubkov R, Christensen JR, Dean JM, Moler FW, Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest THAPCA Trial Investigators (2019). Relationships between three and twelve month outcomes in children enrolled in the therapeutic hypothermia after pediatric cardiac arrest trials. Resuscitation, 139, 329-336.
- Riva-Cambrin J, Kestle JRW, Rozzelle CJ, Naftel RP, Alvey JS, Reeder RW, Holubkov R, Browd SR, Cochrane DD, Limbrick DD, Shannon CN, Simon TD, Tamber MS, Wellons JC, Whitehead WE, Kulkarni AV, Hydrocephalus Clinical Research Network (2019). Predictors of success for combined endoscopic third ventriculostomy and choroid plexus cauterization in a North American setting: a Hydrocephalus Clinical Research Network study. J Neurosurg Pediatr, 1-11.
- Williams MA, Nagel SJ, Luciano MG, Relkin N, Zwimpfer TJ, Katzen H, Holubkov R, Moghekar A, Wisoff JH, McKhann GM, Golomb J, Edwards RJ, Hamilton MG (2019). The clinical spectrum of hydrocephalus in adults: report of the first 517 patients of the Adult Hydrocephalus Clinical Research Network registry. J Neurosurg, 1-12.
- Kahleova H, Hlozkova A, Fleeman R, Fletcher K, Holubkov R, Barnard ND (2019). Fat Quantity and Quality, as Part of a Low-Fat, Vegan Diet, Are Associated with Changes in Body Composition, Insulin Resistance, and Insulin Secretion. A 16-Week Randomized Controlled Trial. Nutrients, 11(3).
- Bennett EE, VanBuren J, Holubkov R, Bratton SL (2018). Presence of Invasive Devices and Risks of Healthcare-Associated Infections and Sepsis. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 7(4), 188-195.
- Carcillo JA, Dean JM, Holubkov R, Berger J, Meert KL, Anand KJS, Zimmerman JJ, Newth CJL, Harrison R, Burr J, Willson DF, Nicholson C, Bell MJ, Berg RA, Shanley TP, Heidemann SM, Dalton H, Jenkins TL, Doctor A, Webster A, Tamburro RF (2017). Interaction Between 2 Nutraceutical Treatments and Host Immune Status in the Pediatric Critical Illness Stress-Induced Immune Suppression Comparative Effectiveness Trial. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 41(8), 1325-1335.
- Simon TD, Kronman MP, Whitlock KB, Gove N, Browd SR, Holubkov R, Kestle JR, Kulkarni AV, Langley M, Limbrick DD Jr, Luerssen TG, Oakes J, Riva-Cambrin J, Rozzelle C, Shannon C, Tamber M, Wellons JC 3rd, Whitehead WE, Mayer-Hamblett N (2016). Variability in Management of First Cerebrospinal Fluid Shunt Infection: A Prospective Multi-Institutional Observational Cohort Study. J Pediatr, 179, 185-191.e2.
- Pollack MM, Holubkov R, Funai T, Berger JT, Clark AE, Meert K, Berg RA, Carcillo J, Wessel DL, Moler F, Dalton H, Newth CJ, Shanley T, Harrison RE, Doctor A, Jenkins TL, Tamburro R, Dean JM, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (2015). Simultaneous Prediction of New Morbidity, Mortality, and Survival Without New Morbidity From Pediatric Intensive Care: A New Paradigm for Outcomes Assessment. Crit Care Med, 43(8), 1699-709.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Clark AE, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Newth CJ, Bennett KS, Berger JT, Topjian A, Pineda JA, Koch JD, Schleien CL, Dalton HJ, Ofori-Amanfo G, Goodman DM, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Zimmerman JJ, Thomas NJ, van der Jagt EW, Porter MB, Meyer MT, Harrison R, Pham N, Schwarz AJ, Nowak JE, Alten J, Wheeler DS, Bhalala US, Lidsky K, Lloyd E, Mathur M, Shah S, Wu T, Theodorou AA, Sanders RC Jr, Dean JM, THAPCA Trial Investigators (2015). Therapeutic hypothermia after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in children. N Engl J Med, 372(20), 1898-908.
- Cress M, Kestle JR, Holubkov R, Riva-Cambrin J (2013). Risk factors for pediatric arachnoid cyst rupture/hemorrhage: a case-control study. Neurosurgery, 72(5), 716-22; discussion 722.
- Sharaf BL, Pepine CJ, Kerensky RA, Reis SE, Reichek N, Rogers WJ, Sopko G, Kelsey SF, Holubkov R, Olson M, Miele NJ, Williams DO, Merz CN, WISE Study Group (2001). Detailed angiographic analysis of women with suspected ischemic chest pain (pilot phase data from the NHLBI-sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation [WISE] Study Angiographic Core Laboratory). Am J Cardiol, 87(8), 937-41; A3.