Meic H. Schmidt, MD, MBA
- Brain, Pituitary & Spine Tumor Research
- Quality Improvement
- Clinical Outcomes
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Brain Tumors
- Spine Tumors
- Spinal Cord Neoplasms
- Quality Indicators, Health Care
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Health Care Quality and Patient Safety
- Departments: Neurosurgery - Adjunct Professor, Orthopaedics - Adjunct Professor
- Divisions: Adult Neurosurgery
- American Board of Neurological Surgery (Neurosurg)
Academic Office Information
Clinical Neurosciences Center
175 North Medical Drive East
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Prof. Meic H. Schmidt, M.D., M.B.A., is the Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs in the Department of Neurosurgery of the University of Utah. He is a tenured Professor of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedics. He holds the Ronald I Apfelbaum. M.D. Endowed Chair in Spine Surgery. Dr. Schmidt also co-directs the Brain, Spine and Skull Base tumor program at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and serves as the Director of the Spinal Oncology Service. He is also serves as the CVO- Chief Value Officer at the University Hospital for the Neurosurgery Service Line. Dr. Schmidt’s research interests include investigating the benefits of minimally invasive spinal surgery for metastatic tumors, and the development health outcome and quality of care measures. He is internationally known for his role in establishing a new thoracoscopic spine surgery technique for tumors and fractures. Dr. Schmidt has also a longstanding basic science and clinical research interest in Fluorescence and Photodynamic Therapy research for brain, pituitary and spinal tumors. Both techniques apply light sources (like a laser) and combine it with light-sensitive substances (photosensitizer) to image and treat tumors via the photochemical (dynamic ) reaction. He was able to attract funding from many prestigious sponsors including the American Cancer Society and NASA. In April of 2000, the NASA Space Technology Hall of Fame awarded him the Space Technology Research Award for his work using LED technology in the photodynamic therapy of cancer. His research and clinical work have resulted in over 140 peer reviewed manuscripts, chapters and books. Because of his expertise and publication record he is a sought after Visiting Professor at many prestigious national and international academic institutions.Dr. Schmidt is also a dedicated teacher and is actively involved in the education of residents and fellows in spine and neurological surgery. He serves has the Director of the Neurosurgery Spine Fellowship which is one of the few CAST accredited and NREF funded spine fellowships in the country. Dr. Schmidt has trained many international fellows from Germany, Switzerland and Mexico. In 2014 he received the Excellence in Teaching Award from the Neurosurgery residents. Dr. Schmidt graduated with Bachelor in Psychology from the University of Utah. He then received his medical degree with Honors in Research for his work in Photodynamic Therapy from the Medical College of Wisconsin. After that he completed a neurosurgical residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr Schmidt was able to receive funding via National Institutes of Health training grant for fellowship training at the University of California, San Francisco. There he completed back to back fellowships in Neuro-oncology and Spinal Surgery at the UCSF Brain Tumor Research Center and the Department of Neurological Surgery. More recently Dr. Schmidt completed the executive MBA at David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah.
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Fellowship||University of California San Francisco
|Fellowship||University of California San Francisco
|Residency||Medical College of Wisconsin
|Internship||Medical College of Wisconsin
|Professional Medical||Medical College of Wisconsin
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
- Guan J, Ravindra VM, Schmidt MH, Dailey AT, Hood RS, Bisson EF (2016). Comparing clinical outcomes of repeat discectomy versus fusion for recurrent disc herniation utilizing the N2QOD. J Neurosurg Spine, 1-6.
- Ravindra VM, Guan J, Holland CM, Dailey AT, Schmidt MH, Godzik J, Hood RS, Ray WZ, Bisson EF (2016). Vitamin D status in cervical spondylotic myelopathy: comparison of fusion rates and patient outcome measures. A preliminary experience. (Epub ahead of print) J Neurosurg Sci.
- Glennie RA, Rampersaud YR, Boriani S, Reynolds JJ, Williams R, Gokaslan ZL, Schmidt MH, Varga PP, Fisher CG (2016). A Systematic Review With Consensus Expert Opinion of Best Reconstructive Techniques After Osseous En Bloc Spinal Column Tumor Resection. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 41 Suppl 20, S205-S211.
- Zuckerman SL, Laufer I, Sahgal A, Yamada YJ, Schmidt MH, Chou D, Shin JH, Kumar N, Sciubba DM (2016). When Less Is More: The indications for MIS Techniques and Separation Surgery in Metastatic Spine Disease. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 41 Suppl 20, S246-S253.
- Ravindra VM, Brock A, Awad AW, Kalra R, Schmidt MH (2016). The role of the mini-open thoracoscopic-assisted approach in the management of metastatic spine disease at the thoracolumbar junction. Neurosurg Focus, 41(2), E16.
- Ravindra VM, Eli IM, Schmidt MH, Brockmeyer DL (2016). Primary osseous tumors of the pediatric spinal column: review of pathology and surgical decision making. Neurosurg Focus, 41(2), E3.
- Ray WZ, Schmidt MH (2016). Thoracoscopic Vertebrectomy for Thoracolumbar Junction Fractures and Tumors: Surgical Technique and Evaluation of the Learning Curve. Clin Spine Surg, 29(7), E344-50.
- Guan J, Bisson EF, Dailey AT, Hood RS, Schmidt MH (2016). Comparison of Clinical Outcomes in the National Neurosurgery Quality and Outcomes Database for Open Versus Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 41(7), E416-21.
- Ravindra VM, Mazur MD, Driscoll M, McEvoy S, Schmidt MH (2016). BRCA2-positive spinal intramedullary ovarian metastatic disease: case report. Spine J, 16(3), e201-7.
- Krisht KM, Karsy M, Shah LM, Schmidt MH, Dailey AT (2016). Unusual brachial plexus lesion: Hematoma masquerading as a peripheral nerve sheath tumor. Surg Neurol Int, 7(Suppl 3), S64-6.
- Abou Al-Shaar H, Raheja A, Palmer CA, Schmidt MH, Couldwell WT (2016). Hypothalamic-Optochiasmatic Pilocytic Astrocytoma Associated with Occipital and Sacral Spinal Cavernomas: A Mere Coincidence or a True Association? World Neurosurg, 90, 707.e17-21.
- Kalra R, Gottfried ON, Schmidt MH (2015). Spinal schwannomas: An updated review of surgical approaches. Contemp Neurosurg, 37(15), 1-8.
- Guan J, Karsy M, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF (2015). Impact of Preoperative Hematocrit Level on Length of Stay after Surgery on the Lumbar Spine. Global Spine J, 5(5), 391-5.
- Mazur MD, Ravindra VM, Dailey AT, McEvoy S, Schmidt MH (2015). Rigid Posterior Lumbopelvic Fixation without Formal Debridement for Pyogenic Vertebral Diskitis and Osteomyelitis Involving the Lumbosacral Junction: Technical Report. Front Surg, 2, 47.
- Ravindra VM, Godzik J, Dailey AT, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF, Hood RS, Cutler A, Ray WZ (2015). Vitamin D Levels and 1-Year Fusion Outcomes in Elective Spine Surgery: A Prospective Observational Study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 40(19), 1536-41.
- Karsy M, Guan J, Sivakumar W, Neil JA, Schmidt MH, Mahan MA (2015). The genetic basis of intradural spinal tumors and its impact on clinical treatment. Neurosurg Focus, 39(2), E3.
- Mazur MD, Mumert ML, Schmidt MH (2015). Treatment of Costal Osteochondroma Causing Spinal Cord Compression by Costotransversectomy: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Clinics and Practice, 5(2), 734.
- Bisson EF, Bowers CA, Hohmann SF, Schmidt MH (2015). Smoking is Associated with Poorer Quality-Based Outcomes in Patients Hospitalized with Spinal Disease. Front Surg, 2, 20.
- Sun SQ, Cai C, Ravindra VM, Gamble P, Yarbrough CK, Dacey RG, Dowling JL, Zipfel GJ, Wright NM, Santiago P, Robinson CG, Schmidt MH, Kim AH, Ray WZ (2015). Simpson Grade I-III Resection of Spinal Atypical (World Health Organization Grade II) Meningiomas is Associated With Symptom Resolution and Low Recurrence. Neurosurgery, 76(6), 739-46.
- Mazur MD, McEvoy S, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF (2015). High self-assessment of disability and the surgeon's recommendation against surgical intervention may negatively impact satisfaction scores in patients with spinal disorders. J Neurosurg Spine, 22(6), 666-71.
- Mazur MD, Ravindra VM, Schmidt MH, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD, Riva-Cambrin J, Dailey AT (2015). Unplanned reoperation after lumbopelvic fixation with S-2 alar-iliac screws or iliac bolts. J Neurosurg Spine, 23(1), 67-76.
- Bisson EF, Mumert ML, Mazur MD, Dailey AT, Schmidt MH (2015). The Fate of Type II Odontoid Fractures after Posterior Atlantoaxial Fusion: Where Does Healing Occur? J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg, 76(4), 274-8.
- Godzik J, Ravindra VM, Ray WZ, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF, Dailey AT (2015). Comparison of structural allograft and traditional autograft technique in occipitocervical fusion: radiological and clinical outcomes from a single institution. J Neurosurg Spine, 23(2), 144-52.
- Jost GF, Schmidt MH (2014). In reply: iPod touch-assisted instrumentation of the spine: is it accurate and reliable? Neurosurgery, 75(6), E736-7.
- Itshayek E, Cohen JE, Yamada Y, Gokaslan Z, Polly DW, Rhines LD, Schmidt MH, Varga PP, Mahgarefteh S, Fraifeld S, Gerszten PC, Fisher CG (2014). Timing of stereotactic radiosurgery and surgery and wound healing in patients with spinal tumors: a systematic review and expert opinions. Neurol Res, 36(6), 510-23.
- Ray WZ, Ravindra VM, Jost GF, Bisson EF, Schmidt MH (2012). Cost effectiveness of subaxial fusion--lateral mass screws versus transarticular facet screws. Neurosurg Focus, 33(1), E14.
- Papanastassiou ID, Aghayev K, Berenson JR, Schmidt MH, Vrionis FD (2012). Is vertebral augmentation the right choice for cancer patients with painful vertebral compression fractures? J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10(6), 715-9.
- Fourney DR, Frangou EM, Ryken TC, Dipaola CP, Shaffrey CI, Berven SH, Bilsky MH, Harrop JS, Fehlings MG, Boriani S, Chou D, Schmidt MH, Polly DW, Biagini R, Burch S, Dekutoski MB, Ganju A, Gerszten PC, Gokaslan ZL, Groff MW, Liebsch NJ, Mendel E, Okuno SH, Patel S, Rhines LD, Rose PS, Sciubba DM, Sundaresan N, Tomita K, Varga PP, Vialle LR, Vrionis FD, Yamada Y, Fisher CG (2011). Spinal instability neoplastic score: an analysis of reliability and validity from the spine oncology study group. J Clin Oncol, 29(22), 3072-7.
- Dailey AT, Hart D, Finn MA, Schmidt MH, Apfelbaum RI (2010). Anterior fixation of odontoid fractures in an elderly population. J Neurosurg Spine, 12(1), 1-8.
- Fisher CG, Di Paola CP, Ryken TC, Bilsky MH, Kuklo TR, Harrop JS, Fehlings MG, Boriani S, Chou D, Schmidt MH, Polly DW, Berven SH, Biagini R, Burch S, Dekutoski MB, Ganju A, Gerszten PC, Gokaslan ZL, Groff MW, Liebsch NJ, Mendel E, Okuno SH, Patel SR, Rhines LD, Sciubba DM, Shaffrey CI, Sundaresan N, Tomita K, Varga PP, Vialle LR, Vrionis FD, Yamada Y, Fourney DR (2010). A Novel Classification System for Spinal Instability in Neoplastic Disease: An Evidence-Based Approach and Expert Consensus from the Spine Oncology Study Group. Spine, 35(22), E1221-E1229.
- Cole CD, Liu JK, Sheng X, Chin SS, Schmidt MH, Weiss MH, Couldwell WT (2008). Hypericin-mediated photodynamic therapy of pituitary tumors: preclinical study in a GH4C1 rat tumor model. J Neurooncol, 87(3), 255-261.
- Finn MA, Vrionis FD, Schmidt MH (2007). Spinal radiosurgery for metastatic disease of the spine. Cancer Control, 14(4), 405-11.
- Beisse R, Muckley T, Schmidt MH, Hauschild M, Buhren V (2005). Surgical technique and results of endoscopic anterior spinal canal decompression. J Neurosurg Spine, 2(2), 128-36.
- Schmidt MH, Meyer GA, Reichert KW, Cheng J, Krouwer HG, Ozker K, Whelan HT (2004). Evaluation of photodynamic therapy near functional brain tissue in patients with recurrent brain tumors. J Neurooncol, 67(1-2), 201-7.
- Schmidt MH, Larson SJ, Maiman DJ (2004). The lateral extracavitary approach to the thoracic and lumbar spine. Neurosurg Clin N Am, 15(4), 437-41.
- Binning MJ, Gottfried ON, Klimo P Jr, Schmidt MH (2004). Minimally invasive treatments for metastatic tumors of the spine. Neurosurg Clin N Am, 15(4), 459-65.
- Liu JK, Schmidt MH, MacDonald JD, Jensen RL, Couldwell WT (2003). Hypophysial transposition (hypophysopexy) for radiosurgical treatment of pituitary tumors involving the cavernous sinus. Technical note. Neurosurg Focus, 14(5), e11.
- Whelan HT, Houle JM, Whelan NT, Donohoe DL, Cwiklinski J, Schmidt MH, Gould L, Larson DL, Meyer GA, Cevenini V, Stinson H (2000). The NASA light-emitting diode medical program-Progress in space flight and terrestrial applications. Space Tech, 459, 37-43.
- Schmidt MH, Reichert KW 2nd, Ozker K, Meyer GA, Donohoe DL, Bajic DM, Whelan NT, Whelan HT (1999). Preclinical evaluation of benzoporphyrin derivative combined with a light-emitting diode array for photodynamic therapy of brain tumors. Pediatr Neurosurg, 30(5), 225-31.
- Schmidt MH, Bajic DM, Reichert KW, Martin TS, Meyer GA, Whelan HT (1996). The role of light-emitting diodes for photodynamic therapy of brain tumors. Space Tech, 361, 403-412.
- Ravindra VM, Schmidt MH (2016). Management of Spinal Meningiomas. [Review]. Neurosurg Clin N Am, 27(2), 195-205.
- Ravindra VM, Godzik J, Guan J, Dailey AT, Schmidt MH, Bisson EF, Hood RS, Ray WZ (2015). Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients Undergoing Elective Spine Surgery: A Cross-Sectional Analysis. [Review]. World Neurosurg, 83(6), 1114-1119.
- Kan P, Schmidt MH (2008). Osteoid osteoma and osteoblastoma of the spine. [Review]. Neurosurg Clin N Am, 19(1), 65-70.
- Kalra R, Schmidt MH (2016). Rheumatoid degenerative instability of the C1-C2 joint and symptomatic Os odontoideum. In Van de Kelft E (Ed.), Surgery of the Spine and Spinal Cord, A Neurosurgical Approach (Chapter 7, pp. 109-115). Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Kalra R, Schmidt MH (2015). Thoracoscopic Approaches to the Spine. In Baaj AA, Mummaneni PV, Uribe JS, Vaccaro AR, Greenberg MS (Eds.), Handbook of Spine Surgery (2nd ed). New York: Thieme.
- Schmidt MH, Bisson EF (2015). Radiographs, CTs, and MRI. In Harbaugh RE, Shaffrey C, Couldwell WT, Berger MS (Eds.), Neurosurgery Knowledge Update (Chapter 74, pp. 473-478). New York: Thieme.
- Schmidt MH (2014). Minimally invasive surgery for metastatic spine disease. In Gokaslan Z, Boriani S, Fisher C (Eds.), AOSpine Master Series, Volume 1: Metastatic Spinal Tumor. New York: AOSpine/Thieme.
- Amini A, Schmidt MH (2014). Thoracoscopic diskectomy and instrumented fusion for thoracic discitis and osteomyelitis. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 51). New York: Thieme.
- Bisson E, Jost G, Schmidt MH (2014). Occipital cervical instrumentation. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 3). New York: Thieme.
- Bisson E, Schmidt MH (2014). Thoracoscopic sympathectomy. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 95). New York: Thieme.
- Finn MA, Duval MS, Schmidt MH (2014). Radiosurgery for metastatic spinal disease. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 62). New York: Thieme.
- Ray WZ, Kan P, Schmidt MH (2014). Thoracoscopic resection of paraspinal tumors. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 96). New York: Thieme.
- Kan P, Schmidt MH (2014). Thoracoscopic corpectomy and stabilization for metastatic spine tumors. In Berta SC; Levy ML (Ed.), Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Ch. 96). New York: Thieme.