Olga V. Patterson, PhD
- Natural Language Processing
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Epidemiology
Academic Office Information
DIVISION OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
295 CHIPETA WAY
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Patterson's research is focused on computational analysis of clinical narrative documents using natural language processing and machine learning for the purposes of concept recognition, information extraction, information retrieval, and classification. She has extensive experience working with a variety of clinical document types across a broad range of medical subdomains. She is an active collaborator on several research projects developing language processing software applications.
My primary research area is computational analysis of clinical text documents for the purposes of concept recognition, information extraction, information retrieval, and document classification. I have experience working with a number of various document types across clinical subdomains. I have developed a number of language processing systems to perform document clustering, document classification, word sense disambiguation, and clinical information extraction.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
Business Information Systems
|Undergraduate||Utah State University
- Wang SV, Patterson OV, Gagne JJ, Brown JS, Ball R, Jonsson P, Wright A, Zhou L, Goettsch W, Bate A (2019). Transparent Reporting on Research Using Unstructured Electronic Health Record Data to Generate 'Real World' Evidence of Comparative Effectiveness and Safety. (Epub ahead of print) Drug Saf.
- Alba PR, Patterson OV, Richman JS, DuVall SL (2019). Automatic Methods to Extract Prescription Status Quality Measures from Unstructured Health Records. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264, 15-19.
- Klarin D, Lynch J, Aragam K, Chaffin M, Assimes TL, Huang J, Lee KM, Shao Q, Huffman JE, Natarajan P, Arya S, Small A, Sun YV, Vujkovic M, Freiberg MS, Wang L, Chen J, Saleheen D, Lee JS, Miller DR, Reaven P, Alba PR, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Boden WE, Beckman JA, Gaziano JM, Concato J, Rader DJ, Cho K, Chang KM, Wilson PWF, ODonnell CJ, Kathiresan S, VA Million Veteran Program, Tsao PS, Damrauer SM (2019). Genome-wide association study of peripheral artery disease in the Million Veteran Program. Nat Med, 25(8), 1274-1279.
- Koola JD, Chen G, Malin BA, Fabbri D, Siew ED, Ho SB, Patterson OV, Matheny ME (2019). A clinical risk prediction model to identify patients with hepatorenal syndrome at hospital admission. Int J Clin Pract, e13393.
- Wilcox MA, Coppola D, Bailey N, Wilson A, Kamauu AWC, Alba PR, Patterson OV, Viernes B, Denhalter DW, Solomon ID, DuVall SL (2019). Risperdal® CONSTA® Needle Detachment. Incidence Rates Before and After Kit Redesign: A Retrospective Study using Electronic Health Records and Natural Language Processing in the Department of Veterans Affairs. Neurol Ther, 8(1), 95-108.
- Maguen S, Li Y, Madden E, Seal KH, Neylan TC, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Lujan C, Shiner B (2019). Factors associated with completing evidence-based psychotherapy for PTSD among veterans in a national healthcare system. Psychiatry Res, 274, 112-128.
- Conway M, Mowery DL, South BR, Stoddard GJ, Chapman WW, Patterson OV, Zhu SH (2018). Documentation of ENDS Use in the Veterans Affairs Electronic Health Record (2008-2014). Am J Prev Med, 56(3), 474-475.
- Bustamante R, Earles A, Murphy JD, Bryant AK, Patterson OV, Gawron AJ, Kaltenbach T, Whooley MA, Fisher DA, Saini SD, Gupta S, Liu L (2019). Ascertainment of Aspirin Exposure Using Structured and Unstructured Large-scale Electronic Health Record Data. (Epub ahead of print) Med Care.
- Chapman AB, Peterson KS, Alba PR, DuVall SL, Patterson OV (2019). Detecting Adverse Drug Events with Rapidly Trained Classification Models. Drug Saf, 42(1), 147-156.
- Stevens VW, Stenehjem DD, Patterson OV, Kamauu AWC, Yim YM, Morlock RJ, DuVall SL (2018). Characterization and survival of patients with metastatic basal cell carcinoma in the Department of Veterans Affairs: a retrospective electronic health record review. Arch Dermatol Res, 310(6), 505-513.
- Maguen S, Madden E, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Goldstein LA, Burkman K, Shiner B (2018). Measuring Use of Evidence Based Psychotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in a Large National Healthcare System. Adm Policy Ment Health, 45(4), 519-529.
- Jones MM, Winthrop KL, Nelson SD, Duvall SL, Patterson OV, Nechodom KE, Findley KE, Radonovich LJ Jr, Samore MH, Fennelly KP (2018). Epidemiology of nontuberculous mycobacterial infections in the U.S. Veterans Health Administration. PLoS ONE, 13(6), e0197976.
- Johnson SB, Adekkanattu P, Campion TR Jr, Flory J, Pathak J, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Major V, Aphinyanaphongs Y (2018). From Sour Grapes to Low-Hanging Fruit: A Case Study Demonstrating a Practical Strategy for Natural Language Processing Portability. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc, 2017, 104-112.
- Gupta S, Liu L, Patterson OV, Earles A, Bustamante R, Gawron AJ, Thompson WK, Scuba W, Denhalter D, Martinez ME, Messer K, Fisher DA, Saini SD, DuVall SL, Chapman WW, Whooley MA, Kaltenbach T (2018). A Framework for Leveraging "Big Data" to Advance Epidemiology and Improve Quality: Design of the VA Colonoscopy Collaborative. EGEMS (Wash DC), 6(1), 4.
- Brittain EL, Duncan MS, Chang J, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Brandt CA, So-Armah KA, Goetz M, Akgun K, Crothers K, Zola C, Kim J, Gibert C, Pisani M, Morris A, Hsue P, Tindle HA, Justice A, Freiberg M (2017). Increased Echocardiographic Pulmonary Pressure in HIV-infected and -uninfected Individuals in the Veterans Aging Cohort Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 197(7), 923-932.