Roger Altizer, PhD
- Serious Games
- Games for Health
- Participatory Design
- Qualitative Methods
- Digital Medicine
- Healthcare Innovation
- Media Law
- Intellectual Property
- Departments: Population Health Sciences - Associate Professor
Roger Altizer, Jr. is the co-founder of the Entertainment Arts and Engineering, the top ranked game design program in the nation, the Director of Digital Medicine for the Center for Medical Innovation, the founding Director of The GApp lab (Therapeutic Games and Apps) and former director of the Center for Interdisciplinary Art and Technology at the University of Utah. Roger earned his Ph.D. in Communication at Utah and specializes in serious and medical games as well as game design and development. His heart and his research focuses on the importance of play and how good design encourages it. Creator of The Design Box, a participatory, inductive design methodology, Roger strives to include users as designers in his work. A former games journalist, he is an internationally recognized speaker who has presented at industry conferences such as the Games Developer Conference and Penny Arcade Expo, and academic conferences including the Digital Games Research Association and Foundations of Digital Games.
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
Religion & Philosophy
- Rothwell, E, Johnson, E, Wong, B, Rose, NC, Latendresse, G, Altizer, R, Zagal, J, Smid, M, Watson, A and Botkin, JR (2018). The Use of a Game-Based Decision Aid to Educate Pregnant Women about Prenatal Screening: A Randomized Controlled Study. Am J Perinatol.
- Alexandra L Terrill, Justin MacKenzie, Maija Reblin, Jackie Einerson, Jesse Ferraro, Roger Altizer (01/01/2018). Helping Couples With Spinal Cord Injury Get Their Groove Back: Interdisciplinary Online Intervention Development. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 99(10), e61.
- Bruggers CS, Altizer RA, Kessler RR, Caldwell CB, Coppersmith K, Warner L, Davies B, Paterson W, Wilcken J, DAmbrosio TA, German ML, Hanson GR, Gershan LA, Korenberg JR, Bulaj G (2012). Patient-empowerment interactive technologies. Sci Transl Med, 4(152), 152ps16.
- Rausch A, Altizer R, Parry A (2000). Gaikokugo Communication in an Intensive Course Format – Case Study Report and Recommendations. Crossroads, 41-61.
- Trapp, SK, Altizer, R, Merryweather, A, Lee, V, Campbell, C, Rivera-Melo, B, Liu, A, Imburgia, R, Waller, L, amp Rosenbluth, J (In Press). Tilt Tracker: Technical Note on an mHealth System to Monitor and Prevent Ulcer Development among Power Wheelchair Users. Technol Innov.
- Avatars AssembledThe Social and Technical Anatomy of Digital Bodies (2017). Pixels and Polygons: The Stuff of Light Beings. In J. Banks (Ed.), Avatars AssembledThe Social and Technical Anatomy of Digital Bodies. New York: Peter Lang.
- Altizer, R (2017). King of All Cosmos. In J. Banks, R. Mejia (Eds.), 100 Greatest Video Game Characters. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Butcher, K, Runburg, M and Altizer, R (2017). Dino Lab: Designing and Developing an Educational Game for Critical Thinking. In R. Zheng and M. Gardner, (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Serious Games for Educational Applications (pp. 115-148). Hershey: IGI.
- Altizer, R, Zagal, JP (2017). Interview with Roger Altizer, Ph.D. and José Zagal, Ph.D. In J.P. Shipman & B. Ulmer (Eds.), Information and Innovation: A Natural Combination for Health Sciences Libraries (pp. 13-22). Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Altizer, R (2017). Applying Innovation to Patient Education and Behavior. In J.P. Shipman & B. Ulmer (Eds.), Information and Innovation: A Natural Combination for Health Sciences Libraries (pp. 13-22). Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Linder, L A, amp Altizer, R (2018). Engaging children and healthcare providers in the co-design of a mobile technology-based symptom assessment app. Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Annual Conference, Savannah, GA: Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses.
- Altizer, R, Zagal, J, Johnson, E, Wong, B, Anderson, R, Botkin, J amp Rothwell, E (2017). Design Box Case Study: Facilitating Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Participatory Design in Game Development. CHI Play, Amsterdam, Netherlands: ACM.
- Christensen C, Redd D, Lake E, Shipman JP, Aiono H, Altizer Jr R, Bray BE, Zeng QT (2017). Doodle Health: A Crowdsourcing Game for the Co-design and Testing of Pictographs to Reduce Disparities in Healthcare Communication. American Medical Informatics Association Symposium, American Medical Informatics Association, 2017, 585.
- Zagal, JP and Altizer, R (2015). Placeholder Content in Game Development: Benefits and Challenges. ChiPlay '15 - Computer-Human Interaction in Play 2015, ACM, 2015, 745-750.
- Casucci T, Shipman JP, Langell JT, Altizer RA, Lombardo NT, Jarvis C, Le Ber JM, Wimmer E, and McIntyre M (10/2014). Converging Spaces with Innovation Initiatives Leads to Beneficial Collaboration. QuintEssential Meeting, Denver.
- Altizer R, Zagal JP (2014). Designing Inside the Box or Pitching Practices in Industry and Education [oral presentation also given]. Digital Games Research Association Conference (DiGRA), Snowbird, UT.
- Zagal JP, Altizer R (2014). Examining ‘RPG Elements’: Systems of Character Progression [oral presentation also given]. Foundations of Digital Games Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Altizer R, Zagal JP (2014). Pitch Perfect or Exploring Pitching Practices in Industry and Games Education [oral presentation also given]. Foundations of Digital Games Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Casucci T, Shipman JP, Altizer R (2014). Surgeons, Librarians and Gamers, Oh My! DiGRA, eSynapse, 29(3).
- Zagal JP, Altizer R, Zeng-Treitler Q, Shipman J, Lake E, Aiono H, Malheiro M, Christensen C (2014). Doodle Health: Games as Cultural Probes [oral presentation also given]. 13th International Conference on Entertainment Computing, 11-2.
- Caldwell C, Bruggers C, Altizer R, Bulaj G, DAmbrosio T, Kessler R, Christiansen B (2013). The Intersection of Video Games and Patient Empowerment: Case Study of a Real World Application [oral presentation also given]. IE Conference 2013.
- Caldwell C, Kessler R, Altizer R, Van Langeveld M (2012). When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other. 2012 IEEE International Games Innovation Conference, Rochester, NY, 39-43.
- Caldwell C, Kessler R, Altizer R, Van Langeveld M (2012). When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other [oral presentation also given]. Games Innovation Conference (IGIC), 2012 IEEE International, 1,4, 7-9.
- Kessler R, van Langeveld M, Altizer R (2009). Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program; paper also presented at the SIGSCE 2009 – Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Chattanooga, TN. SIGCSE '09 Proceedings of the 40th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, New York, NY, 539-43.
- Bills P, Zagal J, Shipman J, Moody S, Larson E, Bhavsar S, Jarvis C, Casucci T, Rethlefsen M, Lombardo N, Altizer R (In Press). Saved Games: Librarians Levelling Up With Games For Health. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
- Campbell C, Mleynek T, Steele B, Kulina, M, Smith J, Ferraro, J, Teramoto, M, Lee V, Alizer, R, Rosenbluth J (2017). Novel assistive device as a training tool for spinal cord sailing simulator [Abstract]. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 40(5), 579-604.
- Kessler R, van Langeveld M, Altizer R (2009). Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program. Newsletter: ACM SIGCSE Bulletin - SIGCSE '09 (41(1), pp. 539-43). New York, NY.
- Altizer R (2014). The Patient Empowerment Game (PE Game) [Video].
- Altizer R, Zagal J (2014). Calorie Crawl Saga: The Candy Kings Cometh [Video]. Available: http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/caloriecrawlsagacandykingscometh.
- Altizer R (2013). Hoardzz Heroes [Video]. Xbox Live Indie Games, Microsoft. Game Makers Anonymous.
- Altizer R (2013). A Game With/Out Rules (Critical Art Game on Display) [Video]. The Leonardo Museum.
- Altizer R (2012). When a Game Launch is More than a Game (open letter to students) [Web]. RedThread, Official Blog of the University of Utah. Available: http://redthread.utah.edu/whenagamelaunchismorethanagame/7724.
- Altizer R (2012). Hoardzz [Video]. Xbox Live Indie Games, Microsoft. Game Makers Anonymous.