Jared P. Rutter, PhD
- Metabolism Regulation
- Cell Signaling
- Cell Communication
- Departments: Biochemistry - Professor, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology - Adjunct Professor
- Cancer Center Programs: Nuclear Control of Cell Growth & Differentiation
Academic Office Information
Emma Eccles Jones Research Building
15 North Medical Drive East, Room: 5200K
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Jared Rutter, PhD, is a professor in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Utah and a member of the Nuclear Control of Cell Growth and Differentiation Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Rutter studies how cells sense and detect energy needs for growth. Understanding the energy-sensing pathways in cells is important in cancer research because these pathways are often overactive in cancer and a good target for new chemotherapy treatments.
Rutter received a bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University, Utah, and a PhD from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
|Doctoral Training||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Steven L. McKnight, advisor
Cell and Molecular Biology
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
Molecular Biology; emphasis in Chemistry
- X Wu, D Romero, WI Swaitek, I Dorweiler, CK Kikani, H Savic, BS Zweifel, J McKearn, JT Blitzer, GA Nickols, J Rutter (). PAS Kinase drives lipogenesis through SREPB-1 maturation. Cell Rep, 8(242).
- Van Vranken JG, Bricker DK, Dephoure N, Gygi SP, Cox JE, Thummel CS, Rutter J (2014 Aug 5). SDHAF4 promotes mitochondrial succinate dehydrogenase activity and prevents neurodegeneration. Cell Metab, 20(2), 241-52.
- Na U, Yu W, Cox J, Bricker DK, Brockmann K, Rutter J, Thummel CS, Winge DR (2014 Aug 5). The LYR factors SDHAF1 and SDHAF3 mediate maturation of the iron-sulfur subunit of succinate dehydrogenase. Cell Metab, 20(2), 253-66.
- Chen YC, Umanah GK, Dephoure N, Andrabi SA, Gygi SP, Dawson TM, Dawson VL, Rutter J (2014 Jul 17). Msp1/ATAD1 maintains mitochondrial function by facilitating the degradation of mislocalized tail-anchored proteins. EMBO J, 33(14), 1548-64.
- Wu X, Romero D, Swiatek WI, Dorweiler I, Kikani CK, Sabic H, Zweifel BS, McKearn J, Blitzer JT, Nickols GA, Rutter J (2014 Jul 10). PAS kinase drives lipogenesis through SREBP-1 maturation. Cell Rep, 8(1), 242-55.
- Chen YC, Rutter J (2014 May 8). Pressing mitochondrial genetics forward. Cell Rep, 7(3), 599-600.
- Semache M, Zarrouki B, Fontes G, Fogarty S, Kikani C, Chawki MB, Rutter J, Poitout V (2013 Aug 23). Per-Arnt-Sim kinase regulates pancreatic duodenal homeobox-1 protein stability via phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta in pancreatic beta-cells. J Biol Chem, 288(34), 24825-33.
- Heo JM, Nielson JR, Dephoure N, Gygi SP, Rutter J (2013 May). Intramolecular interactions control Vms1 translocation to damaged mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell, 24(9), 1263-73.
- Bricker DK, Taylor EB, Schell JC, Orsak T, Boutron A, Chen YC, Cox JE, Cardon CM, Van Vranken JG, Dephoure N, Redin C, Boudina S, Gygi SP, Brivet M, Thummel CS, Rutter J (2012 Jul 6). A mitochondrial pyruvate carrier required for pyruvate uptake in yeast, Drosophila, and humans. Science, 337(6090), 96-100.
- Chen YC, Taylor EB, Dephoure N, Heo JM, Tonhato A, Papandreou I, Nath N, Denko NC, Gygi SP, Rutter J (2012 Mar 7). Identification of a protein mediating respiratory supercomplex stability. Cell Metab, 15(3), 348-60.
- Cardon CM, Beck T, Hall MN, Rutter J (2012 Jan 31). PAS kinase promotes cell survival and growth through activation of Rho1. Sci Signal, 5(209), ra9.
- Orsak T, Smith TL, Eckert D, Lindsley JE, Borges CR, Rutter J (2012 Jan 10). Revealing the allosterome: systematic identification of metabolite-protein interactions. Biochemistry, 51(1), 225-32.
- Pagliarini DJ, Rutter J (2013 Dec 15). Hallmarks of a new era in mitochondrial biochemistry. [Review]. Genes Dev, 27(24), 2615-27.
- Cardon CM, Rutter J (2012 Aug). PAS kinase: integrating nutrient sensing with nutrient partitioning. [Review]. Semin Cell Dev Biol, 23(6), 626-30.
- Tantin D, Rutter J (2012 Apr 4). Proliferation and metabolism: it's as easy as APC. [Review]. Cell Metab, 15(4), 413-4.
- Catalyzing Advances in Diabetes, Metabolism, and Obesity Research
- Faculty and Staff Awards and Recognitions for May 2015
- Seminal Discoveries in Metabolism Earn Biochemist Jared Rutter, Ph.D., HHMI Investigator Appointment
- Rewiring Metabolism Slows Cancer Growth
- Partnership with Spinoff Company May Soon Lead to Clinical Trials of Metabolic Syndrome Drug