Randall W. Rupper, MD, MPH
- Health Care Outcomes Associated with Different Patterns of Health Care Utilization
- Cost-Effectiveness of Different Community Level Interventions to Reduce Inappropriate Antibiotic Use in Rural Areas
- Health Outcomes of Novel Policy Interventions
- Data Analysis to Longitudinally Validate a Scale for Identifying Vulnerable Community Dwelling Elders
- Tele-Health Technology
- Medicare Coverage
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor (Clinical)
- Divisions: Geriatrics
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Geriatric Medicine)
Randall Rupper, MD/MPH, is an Associate Professor in the department of Internal medicine, and he joined the University of Utah's Division of Geriatrics and the Salt Lake City VA Medical Center in 2003. He is an investigator at the Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) and a member of the Cancer Control and Population Sciences program.
Dr. Rupper’s primary research involves developing and evaluating clinical systems that 1) provide for surveillance of the medical decision-making needs of elderly patients and their caregivers and 2) deliver appropriately personalized decision support. His work involves demonstration of new models of access, especially within Federal programs including Medicare and the Veterans Health Administration. Examples of outreach models include the use of community navigators to improve cancer care among Native Americans and the use of internet-based support for caregivers of dementia patients. Dr. Rupper was co-principal investigator of an HCI project aimed at improving cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment for underserved American Indians by removing barriers, both local and institutional, to receiving appropriate care.
Rupper earned his medical degree from Stanford University and completed his residency at the University of Washington. He earned a master’s in public health from the University of North Carolina and completed fellowships at UNC-Chapel Hill and the University of Utah.
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Fellowship||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
|Graduate Training||University of North Carolina
|Residency||University of Washington
|Internship||University of Washington
|Professional Medical||Stanford University, School of Medicine
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
- Butler JM, Gibson B, Lewis L, Reiber G, Kramer H, Rupper R, Herout J, Long B, Massaro D, Nebeker J (2020). Patient-centered care and the electronic health record: exploring functionality and gaps. JAMIA Open, 3(3), 360-368.
- Bristol AA, Convery KA, Sotelo V, Schneider CE, Lin SY, Fletcher J, Rupper R, Galvin JE, Brody AA (2020). Protocol for an embedded pragmatic clinical trial to test the effectiveness of Aliviado Dementia Care in improving quality of life for persons living with dementia and their informal caregivers. Contemp Clin Trials, 93, 106005.
- Manley NA, Hicken BL, Rupper RW (2019). Veterans as Caregivers: Those Who Continue to Serve. Fed Pract, 34(4), 28-34.
- Parry KJ, Hicken BL, Morgan J, Rupper R (2019). COVER to COVER: Connecting Older Veterans (Especially Rural) to Community or Veteran-Eligible Resources. Fed Pract, 34(2), 46-49.
- Zheng, R, Smith, D, Luptak, M, Hill, RD, Hill, J, Rupper, R (06/28/2016). Does Visual Redundancy Inhibit Older Persons' Information Processing in Learning. Educ Gerontol.
- Zheng, R, Hicken BL, Hill RD, Luptak M, Daniel CM, Grant M, and Rupper R (2016). Digital Technology and Caregiver Training for Older Persons: Cognitive and Affective Perspectives. Educ Gerontol.
- Call VR, Erickson LD, Dailey NK, Hicken BL, Rupper R, Yorgason JB, Bair B (2015). Attitudes Toward Telemedicine in Urban, Rural, and Highly Rural Communities. Telemed J E Health, 21(8), 644-51.
- Wright P, Malcolm C, Hicken B, Rupper R (2015). The VA Caregiver Support Line: A Gateway of Support for Caregivers of Veterans. J Gerontol Soc Wk, 58(4), 386-98.
- Sauer B, Nebeker J, Shen S, Rupper R, West S, Shinogle JA, Xu W, Lohr KN, Samore M (2014). Methodological framework to identify possible adverse drug reactions using population-based administrative data. F1000Res, 3, 258.
- Nelson RE, Hicken B, Cai B, Dahal A, West A, Rupper R (2014). Utilization of travel reimbursement in the Veterans Health Administration. J Rural Health, 30(2), 128-38.
- McKoy JM, Burhenn PS, Browner IS, Loeser KL, Tulas KM, Oden MR, Rupper RW (2014). Assessing cognitive function and capacity in older adults with cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 12(1), 138-44.
- Hurria A, Wildes T, Blair SL, Browner IS, Cohen HJ, Deshazo M, Dotan E, Edil BH, Extermann M, Ganti AK, Holmes HM, Jagsi R, Karlekar MB, Keating NL, Korc-Grodzicki B, McKoy JM, Medeiros BC, Mrozek E, OConnor T, Rugo HS, Rupper RW, Silliman RA, Stirewalt DL, Tew WP, Walter LC, Weir AB 3rd, Bergman MA, Sundar H (2014). Senior adult oncology, version 2.2014: clinical practice guidelines in oncology . J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 12(1), 82-126.
- Zheng, RZ, Daniel, CM, Hill, RD, Luptak, M, Hicken, BL, Grant, M, Rupper R (Fall 2013). The Effects of High and Low Technologies on Emotional Support for Caregivers: An Exploratory Study. International Journal of Cyber Behavior, Psychology and Learning, 3(3), 34-45.
- Juretic M, Hill R, Hicken B, Luptak M, Rupper R, Bair B (2012). Predictors of attrition in older users of a home-based monitoring and health information delivery system. Telemed J E Health, 18(9), 709-12.
- Nelson RE, Hicken B, West A, Rupper R (2012). The effect of increased travel reimbursement rates on health care utilization in the VA. J Rural Health, 28(2), 192-201.
- Daniel CM, Hill RD, Luptak M, Hicken BL, Zheng R, Turner CM, Rupper R (November 2011). Reaching Out to Caregivers of Veterans With Dementia. Fed Pract, 28(11), 43-47.
- Oderda L, Holman C, Nichols B, Rupper R, Bair B, Hoffman M, Hicken B (2011). Pharmacist-managed telephone clinic review of antidementia medication effectiveness. Consult Pharm, 26(4), 264-73.
- Hill RD, Luptak MK, Rupper RW, Bair B, Peterson C, Dailey N, Hicken BL (12/16/2010). Review of Veterans Health Administration Telemedicine Interventions. Am J Manag Care, 16(Suppl HIT), 302-310.
- Hill RD, Luptak MK, Rupper RW, Bair B, Peterson C, Dailey N, Hicken BL (2011). Review of Veterans Health Administration telemedicine interventions. Am J Manag Care, 16(12 Suppl HIT), e302-10.
- Rupper RW, Bair BD, Sauer BC, Nebeker JR, Shinogle J, Samore M (2007). Out-of-pocket pharmacy expenditures for veterans under medicare part D. Med Care, 45(10 Supl 2), S77-80.
- Kim TS, DeKruyff RH, Rupper R, Maecker HT, Levy S, Umetsu DT (1997). An ovalbumin-IL-12 fusion protein is more effective than ovalbumin plus free recombinant IL-12 in inducing a T helper cell type 1-dominated immune response and inhibiting antigen-specific IgE production. J Immunol, 158(9), 4137-44.
- Masuda A, Burton GF, Fuchs BA, Bhogal BS, Rupper R, Szakal AK, Tew JG (1994). Follicular dendritic cell function and murine AIDS. Immunology, 81(1), 41-6.
- Candice M Daniel, Bret Hicken, Marilyn Luptak, Marren Grant, Randall Rupper (8/2012). Using Technology to Reach Caregivers of Veterans with Dementia. In Robert Z. Zheng, Robert D. Hill, Michael K. Gardner (Eds.), Engaging Older Adults with Modern Technology: Internet Use and Information Access Needs. IGI Global.
- Sauer B, Nebeker J, Rupper R, Samore M (2007). Serum Potassium Monitoring and Hyperkalemia in Veterans using Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Inhibitors. HSR&D National Meeting, Arlington, VA.