Carol Sweeney, PhD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor
- Divisions: Epidemiology
- Cancer Center Programs: Cancer Control & Population Sciences
Academic Office Information
295 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Carol Sweeney, PhD, is an associate professor in the Division of Epidemiology, Department of Medicine at the University of Utah School of Medicine, an investigator at Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), and a member of the HCI Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program. She conducts research on cancer epidemiology, with specific interests in the role of common genetic variants in cancer susceptibility and survival, and in the epidemiology of cancer survivors. She is co-director of the Research Education, Training, and Career Development core of the Utah Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences.
Sweeney received an MS degree in environmental health followed by a PhD in epidemiology, both from the University of Washington. She completed a postdoctoral research fellowship in the Division of Molecular Epidemiology, National Center for Toxicological Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In 2000, she received an American Association of Cancer Researchers (AACR) Susan G. Komen Foundation Young Investigator Scholar Award. In 2001, she received an AACR Pfizer Scholar in Cancer Research Award.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||National Center for Toxicological Research
|Doctoral Training||University of Washington
|Graduate Training||University of Washington
- Millar MM, Elena JW, Gallicchio L, Edwards SL, Carter ME, Herget KA, Sweeney C (2019). The feasibility of web surveys for obtaining patient-reported outcomes from cancer survivors: a randomized experiment comparing survey modes and brochure enclosures. BMC Med Res Methodol, 19(1), 208.
- Greenberg S, Buys SS, Edwards SL, Espinel W, Fraser A, Gammon A, Hafen B, Herget KA, Kohlmann W, Roundy C, Sweeney C (2019). Population prevalence of individuals meeting criteria for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer testing. Cancer Med, 8(15), 6789-6798.
- Hashibe M, Ou JY, Herget K, Bolton D, McPherson J, Hawley C, Garvin J, Doherty JA, Sweeney C (2019). Feasibility of Capturing Cancer Treatment Data in the Utah All-Payer Claims Database. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 3, 1-10.
- AAlAbdulsalam AK, Garvin JH, Redd A, Carter ME, Sweeny C, Meystre SM (2018). Automated Extraction and Classification of Cancer Stage Mentions fromUnstructured Text Fields in a Central Cancer Registry. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc, 2017, 16-25.
- Sweeney C, Baumgartner KB, Byers T, Giuliano AR, Herrick JS, Murtaugh MA, Slattery ML (2007). Reproductive history in relation to breast cancer risk among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women. Cancer Causes Control, 19(4), 391-401.