Mollie R. Cummins, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Associate Professor, Nursing - Professor
- Divisions: Health Systems and Community-Based Care
Dr. Cummins is a health informaticist and faculty member in the informatics programs of both the College of Nursing and School of Medicine. She holds a PhD in nursing science and information science from Indiana University. In 2007, she studied methods of complexity science including agent-based modeling and network analysis at the Santa Fe Institute. Prior to her career in informatics, she practiced as an emergency nurse and family nurse practitioner. She has made numerous scholarly contributions in informatics, and leads a program of research related to the induction of knowledge models for clinical decision support, and informatics applications in poison control. Dr. Cummins is an active member of the American Medical Informatics Association, and has served on the leadership team of two working groups within that organization. She is former president of the Utah Nursing Informatics Network, and a former governing director of the Alliance for Nursing Informatics. Currently, she studies predictive modeling of MRSA and medically unexplained symptoms, as well as health information exchange in the poison control setting. Her work is funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
|Graduate Training||Indiana University
Nursing Science/ Information Science
|Graduate Training||Northern Kentucky University
Family Nurse Practitioner
|Undergraduate||University of Illinois at Chicago
|Undergraduate||University of Illinois
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2021). Patient-Generated Health Data in Pediatric Asthma: Exploratory Study of Providers' Information Needs. JMIR Pediatr Parent, 4(1), e25413.
- Stagg B, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Cummins M, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2021). Interests and needs of eye care providers in clinical decision support for glaucoma. BMJ Open Ophthalmol, 6(1), e000639.
- Alderden J, Drake KP, Wilson A, Dimas J, Cummins MR, Yap TL (2021). Hospital acquired pressure injury prediction in surgical critical care patients. BMC Med Informat Decis Making, 21(1), 12.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Wirostko B, Crandall A, Hartnett ME, Cummins M, Morris A, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2020). Special Commentary: Using Clinical Decision Support Systems to Bring Predictive Models to the Glaucoma Clinic. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 4(1), 5-9.
- Yang R, Plasek JM, Cummins MR, Sward KA (2020). Predicting Falls Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults: A Demonstration of Applied Machine Learning. (Epub ahead of print) Comput Inform Nurs.
- Alderden J, Cowan LJ, Dimas JB, Chen D, Zhang Y, Cummins M, Yap TL (2020). Risk Factors for Hospital-Acquired Pressure Injury in Surgical Critical Care Patients. Am J Crit Care, 29(6), e128-e134.
- Alderden J, Cummins M, Zaratkiewicz S, Lucy Zhao Y, Drake K, Yap TL (2020). Hospital-Acquired Pressure Injury Development Among Surgical Critical Care Patients Admitted With Community-Acquired Pressure Injury: A Retrospective Cohort Study. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs, 47(5), 470-476.
- McDonald A, Francis L, Crouch BI, Cummins M (2020). Legal aspects of information sharing and communication by poison centers in the United States. Clin Toxicol (Phila), 58(7), 669-675.
- Cummins MR, Del Fiol G, Crouch BI, Ranade-Kharkar P, Khalifa A, Iskander A, Mann D, Hoffman M, Thornton S, Allen TL, Bennett H (2019). Enabling health information exchange at a US Poison Control Center. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(7), 1000-1006.
- Tiase VL, Hull W, McFarland MM, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2019). Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open, 9(12), e033073.
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Cummins MR (2019). Navigating the Search for Patient Generated Health Data. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264, 1992.
- Alderden J, Zhao YL, Thomas D, Butcher R, Gulliver B, Cummins M (2019). Outcomes Associated With Stage 2 Pressure Injuries Among Surgical Critical Care Patients: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Crit Care Nurse, 39(4), 13-19.
- Alderden J, Pepper GA, Wilson A, Whitney JD, Richardson S, Butcher R, Jo Y, Cummins MR (2018). Predicting Pressure Injury in Critical Care Patients: A Machine-Learning Model. Am J Crit Care, 27(6), 461-468.
- Alderden J, Zhao YL, Zhang Y, Thomas D, Butcher R, Zhang Y, Cummins MR (2018). Outcomes Associated With Stage 1 Pressure Injuries: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Am J Crit Care, 27(6), 471-476.
- Cummins MR, Ranade-Kharkar P, Johansen C, Bennett H, Gabriel S, Crouch BI, Del Fiol G, Hoffman M (2018). Simple Workflow Changes Enable Effective Patient Identity Matching in Poison Control. Appl Clin Inform, 9(3), 553-557.
- Alderden J, Cummins MR, Pepper GA, Whitney JD, Zhang Y, Butcher R, Thomas D (2017). Midrange Braden Subscale Scores Are Associated With Increased Risk for Pressure Injury Development Among Critical Care Patients. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs, 44(5), 420-428.
- Alderden J, Rondinelli J, Pepper G, Cummins M, Whitney J (2017). Risk factors for pressure injuries among critical care patients: A systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud, 71, 97-114.
- Khalifa A, Del Fiol G, Cummins MR (2017). Public Health Data for Individual Patient Care: Mapping Poison Control Center Data to the C-CDA Consultation Note. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 1850-1859.
- Cummins MR, Gundlapalli AV, Murray P, Park HA, Lehmann CU (2016). Nursing Informatics Certification Worldwide: History, Pathway, Roles, and Motivation. Yearb Med Inform, (1), 264–271.
- Alderden J, Cummins M (2016). Standardized Nursing Data and the Oncology Nurse. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 20(3), 336-8.
- Nelson SD, Del Fiol G, Hanseler H, Crouch BI, Cummins MR (2016). Software Prototyping: A Case Report of Refining User Requirements for a Health Information Exchange Dashboard. Appl Clin Inform, 7(1), 22-32.
- Cummins MR, Sward K, Guo JW (2015). Leaders in Nursing Informatics Education and Research: The University of Utah Celebrates 25 Years. Comput Inform Nurs, 33(9), 379-81.
- Del Fiol G, Crouch BI, Cummins MR (2014). Data standards to support health information exchange between poison control centers and emergency departments. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 22(3), 519-28.
- Cummins MR, Crouch BI, Del Fiol G, Mateos B, Muthukutty A, Wyckoff A (2014). Information Requirements for Health Information Exchange Supported Communication between Emergency Departments and Poison Control Centers. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2014, 449-56.
- Cummins MR, Crouch B, Gesteland P, Wyckoff A, Allen T, Muthukutty A, Palmer R, Peelay J, Repko K (2013). Inefficiencies and vulnerabilities of telephone-based communication between U. S. poison control centers and emergency departments. Clin Toxicol (Phila), 51(5), 435-43.
- Caravati EM, Latimer S, Reblin M, Bennett HK, Cummins MR, Crouch BI, Ellington L (2012). High call volume at poison control centers: identification and implications for communication. Clin Toxicol (Phila), 50(8), 781-7.
- Cummins MR, Crouch BI, Gesteland P, Staggers N, Wyckoff A, Wong BG (2012). Electronic information exchange between emergency departments and poison control centers: a Delphi study. Clin Toxicol (Phila), 50(6), 503-13.
- Olola CH, Narus S, Nebeker J, Poynton M, Hales J, Rowan B, LeSieur H, Zumbrennen C, Edwards AA, Crawford R, Amundsen S, Kabir Y, Atkin J, Newberry C, Young J, Hanifi T, Risenmay B, Sorensen T, Evans RS (2011). The perception of medical professionals and medical students on the usefulness of an emergency medical card and a continuity of care report in enhancing continuity of care. Int J Med Inform, 80(6), 412-20.
- Olola CH, Narus S, Poynton M, Nebeker J, Hales J, Rowan B, Smith M, Evans RS (2010). Patient-perceived usefulness of an emergency medical card and a continuity-of-care report in enhancing the quality of care. Int J Qual Health Care, 23(1), 60-7.
- Brinkerhoff KM, Brewster PJ, Clark EB, Jordan KC, Cummins MR, Hurdle JF (2011). Linking supermarket sales data to nutritional information: an informatics feasibility study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011, 598-606.
- Ellington L, Sheldon LK, Matwin S, Smith JA, Poynton MM, Crouch BI, Caravati EM (2008). An examination of adherence strategies and challenges in poison control communication. J Emerg Nurs, 35(3), 186-90; quiz 274.
- Guo JW, Poynton M, Matney S, Ellington L, Crouch BI, Caravati EM (2009). Requirements analysis for HL7 message development in poison control center. Stud Health Technol Inform, 146, 758-9.
- Latimer S, Ellington L, Maxwell A, Poynton M, Caravati EM, Crouch BI, Bennett H (2009). Identifying routine surge for poison control telephone response systems. Stud Health Technol Inform, 146, 811.
- Olola CH, Rowan B, Narus S, Smith M, Hastings T, Poynton M, Nebeker J, Hales J, Evans RS (2009). Implementation of an emergency medical card and a continuity of care report using continuity of care standard. Methods Inf Med, 48(6), 519-30.
- Olola CH, Rowan B, Narus S, Hales J, Poynton M, Nebeker J, Evans RS (2007). Enhancing continuity of care through an emergency medical card at Intermountain Healthcare: using continuity of Care Record (CCR) standard. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1063.
- University of Utah Names Six Additional Recipients of the Jon M. Huntsman Presidential Chairs
- Mollie Cummins Named a Huntsman Presidential Chair
- U of U study could change the lives of kids with asthma
- 2015 Reiter Scholarship Winner
- BMI Receives Grant to Advance Health IT
- Dr. Mollie Cummins receives AHRQ R01 to study electronic exchange of poisoning information
- Mollie Cummins, Ph.D. Elected to Steering Committee of ANI
- New Informatics Textbook "Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach"
- Faculty Promotions in Biomedical Informatics
- Mollie R. Cummins, PhD, receives College of Nursing's Excellence in Scholarship & Research Award for 2012
- Recent BMI Adjunct Faculty Publications