Michael Lanspa, MD, MS
- Shock, Septic
- Cardiopulmonary Physiology
- Adult Critical Care
- Pneumonia, Aspiration
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Pulmonary
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Critical Care Medicine)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Pulmonary Disease)
- National Board of Echocardiography (Critical Care Echocardiography)
- National Board of Medical Examiners
Academic Office Information
Intermountain Medical Center
5121 Cottonwood Street
Murray, UT 84107
Dr. Lanspa studies the body's response to life-threatening infection. He has published widely on pneumonia, sepsis, intensive insulin therapy, and critical care echocardiography. An expert in critical care echocardiography, Dr. Lanspa serves on the Ultrasound Course Committee for the Society of Critical Care Medicine and is regular faculty at national and international courses on critical care ultrasound and echocardiography, including the American Thoracic Society's post graduate course, "Critical Care Echocardiography and Ultrasound," which he developed and currently directs. Dr. Lanspa developed an educational curriculum on critical care echocardiography and is the course director for the housestaff training elective for critical care echocardiography at Intermountain Medical Center.
Dr. Lanspa graduated from Creighton University (Chemistry, Latin) then graduated from Creighton Medical School. He completed internship, residency, and fellowship at the University of Utah. Dr. Lanspa has completed additional training in echocardiography and in clinical investigation.
Dr. Lanspa's research emphasizes application of echocardiography and other non-invasive methods to aid in management of sepsis and shock. He is also an investigator in the National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute's ARDSNetwork and PETAL network, which study acute lung injury. He has received foundation funding for studies that apply ultrasound to predict how well a patient will respond to a particular therapy. He has also received foundation funding for training housestaff in the application of ultrasound for bedside assessment. Dr. Lanspa's collaborators include academic investigators in epidemiology, translational research, quality improvement, and medical education.
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Fellowship||Intermountain Medical Center
Critical Care Echocardiography
|Clinical Research Fellow|
|Fellowship||University of Utah Medical Center
|Residency||University of Utah Medical Center
|Internship||University of Utah Medical Center
|Professional Medical||Creighton University School of Medicine
- Lanspa MJ, Peltan ID, Jacobs JR, Sorensen JS, Carpenter L, Ferraro JP, Brown SM, Berry JG, Srivastava R, Grissom CK (2019). Driving pressure is not associated with mortality in mechanically ventilated patients without ARDS. Crit Care, 23(1), 424.
- Blagev DP, Harris D, Dunn AC, Guidry DW, Grissom CK, Lanspa MJ (2019). Clinical presentation, treatment, and short-term outcomes of lung injury associated with e-cigarettes or vaping: a prospective observational cohort study. Lancet, 394(10214), 2073-2083.
- Lanspa MJ, Krinsley JS, Hersh AM, Wilson EL, Holmen JR, Orme JF, Morris AH, Hirshberg EL (2019). Percentage of Time in Range 70 to 139 mg/dL Is Associated With Reduced Mortality Among Critically Ill Patients Receiving IV Insulin Infusion. Chest, 156(5), 878-886.
- Cirulis MM, Beesley SJ, Wilson EL, Stubben C, Olsen TD, Hirshberg EL, Smith LM, Lanspa MJ, Abraham TP, Grissom CK, Rondina MT, Brown SM (2019). The peripheral blood transcriptome in septic cardiomyopathy: an observational, pilot study. Intensive Care Med Exp, 7(1), 57.
- Brown SM, Paine R 3rd, Lanspa M, Gong M (2019). Value beyond the P: The Case for Higher-Quality and Better-publicized Pilot and Feasibility Trials. Ann Am Thorac Soc, 16(10), 1230-1233.
- Hirshberg EL, Lanspa MJ, Brown SM, Dean NC, Grissom CK (2019). The authors reply. Crit Care Med, 47(8), e724-e726.
- Lanspa MJ, Fan E, Morris AH (2019). How Should We Apply the Wisdom of the Crowd to Clinical Trials With Exception From Informed Consent? JAMA Netw Open, 2(7), e197569.
- Lanspa MJ, Olsen TD, Wilson EL, Leguyader ML, Hirshberg EL, Anderson JL, Brown SM, Grissom CK (2019). A simplified definition of diastolic function in sepsis, compared against standard definitions. J Intensive Care, 7, 14.
- Lanspa MJ, Shahul S, Hersh A, Wilson EL, Olsen TD, Hirshberg EL, Grissom CK, Brown SM (2017). Associations among left ventricular systolic function, tachycardia, and cardiac preload in septic patients. Ann Intensive Care, 7(1), 17.
- Lanspa MJ, Morris AH (2015). Those Who Aren't Counted Still Count. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 192(11), 1268-9.
- Kirkpatrick JN, Grimm R, Johri AM, Kimura BJ, Kort S, Labovitz AJ, Lanspa M, Phillip S, Raza S, Thorson K, Turner J (2020). Recommendations for Echocardiography Laboratories Participating in Cardiac Point of Care Cardiac Ultrasound (POCUS) and Critical Care Echocardiography Training: Report from the American Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. United States.