Christina A. Porucznik, PhD, MSPH
Associate Chief for Education, Division of Public Health
- Women's and Reproductive Health
- Environment and Public Health
- Children's Health
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
Family and Preventive Medicine
375 Chipeta Way, Room: Ste A
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Christina A. Porucznik is a Professor and Associate Division Chief for Education in the Division of Public Health. She is a doctoral-trained epidemiologist who served as an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the Utah Department of Health before joining the faculty in 2005. She has worked in nonprofit, government, academic, and corporate settings with scientists, engineers, and policy makers. Dr. Porucznik received her Master of Science in Public Health and PHD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Public Health.
Her area of research interest is in appropriately timing measurement of exposures. In the environmental domain, she studies endocrine disruptors and reproductive endpoints including fertility, pregnancy outcomes, and breastfeeding. Her other primary focus area is on prescription medications, primarily opioids, and the impact of policy changes on drug dispensing and adverse events.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, assigned to the Utah Department of Health (SLC, UT)
Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer
|Doctoral Training||The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
|Graduate Training||The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
|Undergraduate||The Ohio State University
- Najmabadi S, Schliep KC, Simonsen SE, Porucznik CA, Egger MJ, Stanford JB (2021). Cervical mucus patterns and the fertile window in women without known subfertility: a pooled analysis of three cohorts. (Epub ahead of print) Hum Reprod.
- Ocier K, Abdelaziz S, Kim S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Porucznik CA, Shoaf K, Stanford JB, Lee CJ, Hashibe M (2021). Cardiovascular disease risks in younger versus older adult B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors. (Epub ahead of print) Cancer Med.
- Qeadan F, Madden EF, Bern R, Parsinejad N, Porucznik CA, Venner KL, English K (2021). Associations between opioid misuse and social relationship factors among American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian college students in the U.S. Drug Alcohol Depend, 222, 108667.
- Kahn LG, Harley KG, Siegel EL, Zhu Y, Factor-Litvak P, Porucznik CA, Klein-Fedyshin M, Hipwell AE, program collaborators for Environmental Influences on Child Health Outcomes Program (2020). Persistent organic pollutants and couple fecundability: a systematic review. Hum Reprod Update, 27(2), 339-366.
- Hu Q, Chang CP, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Gren LH, Porucznik C, Stanford JB, Gaffney D, Henry NL, Lopez I, Hashibe M (2021). Disparities in Cardiovascular Disease Risk Among Hispanic Breast Cancer Survivors in a Population-Based Cohort. JNCI Cancer Spectr, 5(2), pkab016.
- Thiesset HF, Schliep KC, Stokes SM, Valentin VL, Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Huang LC (2020). Opioid Misuse and Dependence Screening Practices Prior to Surgery. J Surg Res, 252, 200-205.
- Chavez JL, Porucznik CA, Gren LH, Guan J, Joyce E, Brodke DS, Dailey AT, Mahan MA, Hood RS, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Spina NT, Bisson EF (2020). The Impact of Preoperative Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on Postoperative Outcomes in Lumbar Spine Degenerative Disease: 3-Month and 12-Month Results of a Pilot Study. World Neurosurg, 139, e230-e236.
- Najmabadi S, Schliep KC, Simonsen SE, Porucznik CA, Egger MJ, Stanford JB (2020). Menstrual bleeding, cycle length, and follicular and luteal phase lengths in women without known subfertility: A pooled analysis of three cohorts. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 34(3), 318-327.
- Chang CP, Chen Y, Blackburn B, Abdelaziz S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Dodson M, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Ose J, Fraser A, Smith K, Doherty J, Gaffney D, Hashibe M (2020). Genitourinary disease risks among ovarian cancer survivors in a population-based cohort study. Gynecol Oncol, 157(2), 529-535.
- Qeadan F, Honda T, Gren LH, Dailey-Provost J, Benson LS, VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Waters AB, Lacey S, Shoaf K (2020). Naive Forecast for COVID-19 in Utah Based on the South Korea and Italy Models-the Fluctuation between Two Extremes. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(8).
- Stanford JB, Schliep KC, Chang CP, OSullivan JP, Porucznik CA (2019). Comparison of woman-picked, expert-picked, and computer-picked Peak Day of cervical mucus with blinded urine luteinising hormone surge for concurrent identification of ovulation. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 34(2), 105-113.
- Kim S, Park J, Chen Y, Rowe K, Snyder J, Fraser A, Smith K, Deshmukh VG, Newman M, Herget K, Porucznik CA, Ose D, Playdon M, Gaffney D, Hashibe M (2019). Long-term diabetes risk among endometrial cancer survivors in a population-based cohort study. Gynecol Oncol, 156(1), 185-193.
- Pollard SH, Cox KJ, Blackburn BE, Wilkins DG, Carrell DT, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA (2019). Male exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) and semen quality in the Home Observation of Periconceptional Exposures (HOPE) cohort. Reprod Toxicol, 90, 82-87.
- Park J, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Christensen K, Schliep KC (2019). Daily perceived stress and time to pregnancy: A prospective cohort study of women trying to conceive. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 110, 104446.
- Yeum D, Ju S, Cox KJ, Zhang Y, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA (2019). Association between peri-conceptional bisphenol A exposure in women and men and time to pregnancy-The HOPE study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 33(6), 397-404.
- Vacchi-Suzzi C, Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Zhao Y, Ahn H, Harrington JM, Levine KE, Demple B, Marsit CJ, Gonzalez A, Luft B, Meliker JR (2016). Temporal variability of urinary cadmium in spot urine samples and first morning voids. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol, 27(3), 306-312.
- Mohanty AF, Crook J, Porucznik CA, Johnson EM, Rolfs RT, Sauer BC (2015). Development and evaluation of a record linkage protocol for Utah's Controlled Substance Database. Health Informatics J, 23(1), 35-43.
- Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Schliep KC, Wilkins DG, Stanford JB (2016). The Home Observation of Periconceptional Exposures (HOPE) study, a prospective cohort: aims, design, recruitment and compliance. Environ Health, 15(1), 67.
- Cox KJ, Porucznik CA, Anderson DJ, Brozek EM, Szczotka KM, Bailey NM, Wilkins DG, Stanford JB (2016). Exposure Classification and Temporal Variability in Urinary Bisphenol A Concentrations among Couples in Utah--The HOPE Study. Environ Health Perspect, 124(4), 498-506.
- Jenkins TG, Aston KI, Meyer TD, Hotaling JM, Shamsi MB, Johnstone EB, Cox KJ, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Carrell DT (2016). Decreased fecundity and sperm DNA methylation patterns. Fertil Steril, 105(1), 51-7.e1-3.
- Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Wilkins DG, Anderson DJ, Bailey NM, Szczotka KM, Stanford JB (2015). A Preliminary Study of Biomonitoring for Bisphenol-A in Human Sweat. J Anal Toxicol, 39(7), 562-6.
- Thomas FS, Stanford JB, Sanders JN, Gurtcheff SE, Gibson M, Porucznik CA, Simonsen SE (2015). Development and initial validation of a fertility experiences questionnaire. Reproductive Health, 12, 62.
- Tanner WD, VanDerslice JA, Toor D, Benson LS, Porucznik CA, Goel RK, Atkinson RM (2015). Development and field evaluation of a method for detecting carbapenem-resistant bacteria in drinking water. Syst Appl Microbiol, 38(5), 351-7.
- Waters BA, Kim J, VanDerslice JA, deLegge R, Durrant L, Porucznik CA (2015). The Effect of Follow-up Inspections on Critical Violations Identified During Restaurant Inspections. J Environ Health, 77(10), 8-12.
- Schliep KC, Mumford SL, Ahrens KA, Hotaling JM, Carrell DT, Link M, Hinkle SN, Kissell K, Porucznik CA, Hammoud AO (2015). Effect of male and female body mass index on pregnancy and live birth success after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril, 103(2), 388-95.
- Schliep KC, Schisterman EF, Mumford SL, Pollack AZ, Perkins NJ, Ye A, Zhang CJ, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Hammoud AO, Wactawski-Wende J (2013). Energy-containing beverages: reproductive hormones and ovarian function in the BioCycle Study. Am J Clin Nutr, 97(3), 621-30.
- Ghate SR, Porucznik CA, Said Q, Hashibe M, Joy E, Brixner DI (2012). Association between second-generation antipsychotics and changes in body mass index in adolescents. J Adolesc Health, 52(3), 336-43.
- Schliep KC, Schisterman EF, Mumford SL, Pollack AZ, Zhang C, Ye A, Stanford JB, Hammoud AO, Porucznik CA, Wactawski-Wende J (2012). Caffeinated beverage intake and reproductive hormones among premenopausal women in the BioCycle Study. Am J Clin Nutr, 95(2), 488-97.
- Thiese MS, Hegmann KT, Garg A, Porucznik C, Behrens T (2011). The predictive relationship of physical activity on the incidence of low back pain in an occupational cohort. J Occup Environ Med, 53(4), 364-71.
- Crookston BT, Penny ME, Alder SC, Dickerson TT, Merrill RM, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Dearden KA (2010). Children who recover from early stunting and children who are not stunted demonstrate similar levels of cognition. J Nutr, 140(11), 1996-2001.