Christina A. Porucznik, PhD, MSPH
Associate Chief for Education, Division of Public Health
- Women's and Reproductive Health
- Environment and Public Health
- Children's Health
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
Family and Preventive Medicine
375 Chipeta Way, Room: Ste A
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Christina A. Porucznik is an Associate Professor and Associate Division Chief for Education in the Division of Public Health. She is a doctoral-trained epidemiologist who served as an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the Utah Department of Health before joining the faculty in 2005. She has worked in nonprofit, government, academic, and corporate settings with scientists, engineers, and policy makers. Dr. Porucznik received her Master of Science in Public Health and PHD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Public Health.
Her area of research interest is in appropriately timing measurement of exposures. In the environmental domain, she studies endocrine disruptors and reproductive endpoints including fertility, pregnancy outcomes, and breastfeeding. Her other primary focus area is on prescription medications, primarily opioids, and the impact of policy changes on drug dispensing and adverse events.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, assigned to the Utah Department of Health (SLC, UT)
Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer
|Doctoral Training||The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
|Graduate Training||The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
|Undergraduate||The Ohio State University
- Stanford JB, Porucznik CA (2017). Enrollment, Childbearing Motivations, and Intentions of Couples in the Creighton Model Effectiveness, Intentions, and Behaviours Assessment (CEIBA) Study. Front Med (Lausanne), 4(147).
- Vacchi-Suzzi C, Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Zhao Y, Ahn H, Harrington JM, Levine KE, Demple B, Marsit CJ, Gonzalez A, Luft B, Meliker JR (2016). Temporal variability of urinary cadmium in spot urine samples and first morning voids. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol, 27(3), 306-312.
- Mohanty AF, Crook J, Porucznik CA, Johnson EM, Rolfs RT, Sauer BC (2015). Development and evaluation of a record linkage protocol for Utah's Controlled Substance Database. Health Informatics J, 23(1), 35-43.
- Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Schliep KC, Wilkins DG, Stanford JB (2016). The Home Observation of Periconceptional Exposures (HOPE) study, a prospective cohort: aims, design, recruitment and compliance. Environ Health, 15(1), 67.
- Cox KJ, Porucznik CA, Anderson DJ, Brozek EM, Szczotka KM, Bailey NM, Wilkins DG, Stanford JB (2016). Exposure Classification and Temporal Variability in Urinary Bisphenol A Concentrations among Couples in Utah--The HOPE Study. Environ Health Perspect, 124(4), 498-506.
- Jenkins TG, Aston KI, Meyer TD, Hotaling JM, Shamsi MB, Johnstone EB, Cox KJ, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Carrell DT (2016). Decreased fecundity and sperm DNA methylation patterns. Fertil Steril, 105(1), 51-7.e1-3.
- Cox KJ, Porucznik CA, Anderson DJ, Brozek EM, Szczotka KM, Bailey NM, Wilkins DV, Stanford JB (9/15/2015). Exposure classification and temporal variability in urinary bisphenol-A concentrations among couples in Utah—The HOPE Study. DOI:10.1289/ehp.1509752. Environ Health Perspect.
- Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Wilkins DG, Anderson DJ, Bailey NM, Szczotka KM, Stanford JB (2015). A Preliminary Study of Biomonitoring for Bisphenol-A in Human Sweat. J Anal Toxicol, 39(7), 562-6.
- Thomas FS, Stanford JB, Sanders JN, Gurtcheff SE, Gibson M, Porucznik CA, Simonsen SE (2015). Development and initial validation of a fertility experiences questionnaire. Reproductive Health, 12, 62.
- Tanner WD, VanDerslice JA, Toor D, Benson LS, Porucznik CA, Goel RK, Atkinson RM (2015). Development and field evaluation of a method for detecting carbapenem-resistant bacteria in drinking water. Syst Appl Microbiol, 38(5), 351-7.
- Waters BA, Kim J, VanDerslice JA, deLegge R, Durrant L, Porucznik CA (2015). The Effect of Follow-up Inspections on Critical Violations Identified During Restaurant Inspections. J Environ Health, 77(10), 8-12.
- Schliep KC, Mumford SL, Ahrens KA, Hotaling JM, Carrell DT, Link M, Hinkle SN, Kissell K, Porucznik CA, Hammoud AO (2015). Effect of male and female body mass index on pregnancy and live birth success after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril, 103(2), 388-95.
- Porucznik CA, Cox KJ, Schliep KC, Stanford JB (2014). Pilot test and validation of the peak day method of prospective determination of ovulation against a handheld urine hormone monitor. BMC Womens Health, 14, 4.
- Sanders J, Simonsen S, Porucznik CA, Baksh L, Stanford JB (2013). Use of fertility treatments in relation to the duration of pregnancy attempt among women who were trying to become pregnant and experienced a live birth. Matern Child Health J, 18(1), 258-267.
- Joy EA, Taylor JR, Novak MA, Chen M, Fink BP, Porucznik CA (2013). Factors influencing the implementation of anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention strategies by girls soccer coaches. J Strength Cond Res, 27(8), 2263-9.
- Simonsen SE, Lyon JL, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Esplin MS, Varner MW (2013). Risk factors for recurrent preterm birth in multiparous Utah women: a historical cohort study. BJOG, 120(7), 863-72.
- Porucznik CA, Johnson EM, Rolfs RT, Sauer BC (2012). Opioid prescribing knowledge and practices: provider survey following promulgation of guidelines-Utah, 2011. J Opioid Manag, 9(3), 217-24.
- Ghate SR, Porucznik CA, Said Q, Hashibe M, Joy E, Brixner DI (2012). Association between second-generation antipsychotics and changes in body mass index in adolescents. J Adolesc Health, 52(3), 336-43.
- Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Joy EA, Lyon JL, Staes CJ, Alder SC (2013). Point-of-Care Testing as an Influenza Surveillance Tool: Methodology and Lessons Learned from Implementation. Influenza Res Treat, 2013, 242970.
- Crookston BT, Penny ME, Alder SC, Dickerson TT, Merrill RM, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA, Dearden KA (2010). Children who recover from early stunting and children who are not stunted demonstrate similar levels of cognition. J Nutr, 140(11), 1996-2001.
- Cox KJ, Stanford JB, Blackburn BE, Porucznik CA (Accepted 4/11/19). Compliance with daily, home-based collection of urinary biospecimens in a prospective, preconception cohort. Environ Epidemiol.
- Pollard SH, Cox KJ, Blackburn BE, Wilkins DG, Carrell DT, Stanford JB, Porucznik CA (Accepted 8/20/19). Male exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) and semen quality in the Home Observation of Periconceptional Exposures (HOPE) cohort. Reprod Toxicol.