Tabin, Geoffrey C., MD
- Departments: Ophthalmology/Visual Sciences - Adjunct Professor
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Academic Office Information
John A. Moran Eye Center
65 N Mario Capecchi
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Geoffrey C. Tabin is a Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, and Co-Director of the Outreach Division at the John A. Moran Eye Center, University of Utah. He specializes in cornea, cataract, and refractive surgery.
Dr. Geoffrey Tabin is the co-founder of the Himalayan Cataract Project and co-leads the International Division of the John A. Moran Eye Center as part of his vision to provide high quality ophthalmic care, education, and establishment of a world-class eye care infrastructure. Dr. Tabin graduated from Yale College, earned a M.A. in philosophy at Oxford as a Marshall Scholar, and then his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He interned at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center in surgery and completed residencies at Brown University School of Medicine in ophthalmology and Michael Reese Hospital in orthopedic surgery. Dr. Tabin was awarded a fellowship in ophthalmology at Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. He practices at the Redstone Health Center, Moran Eye center Clinic, Park City, Utah.Geoffrey Tabin, M.D. is a Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences and Co-Director of the Outreach Division at the John A. Moran Eye Center and University of Utah and; specializing in cornea, cataract and refractive surgery. Dr. Tabin graduated from Yale College, earned a M.A. in philosophy at Oxford as a Marshall Scholar, and then his M.D. from Harvard Medical School, and is also the co-founder of the Himalayan Cataract Project.
Dr. Tabin has been named the "unsung hero" by the Dalai Lama; for his international work and dedication to eradicate unnecessary world blindness and sustain ophthalmic health care in the developing world. Dr. Geoffrey Tabin leads the International Division of the John A. Moran Eye Center as part of his vision to provide high quality ophthalmic care, education, and establishment of a world-class eye care infrastructure.
Being the fourth person to climb the "7 summits", the highest point of all seven continents; Geoff Tabin has pioneered difficult technical rock, ice, and mountaineering routes on all seven continents including the East Face of Mt. Everest. He is the author of, "Blind corners-Adventures on Everest and the World's Tallest Peaks" published by Lyons Press in October 2002.
|Fellowship||Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
|Residency||Brown University School of Medicine
|Residency||Michael Reese Hospital
|Internship||University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
|Professional Medical||Harvard Medical School
|Graduate Training||Oxford University
|Fellowship||Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
|Graduate Training||Oxford University
- Li HJ, Tsaousis KT, Tabin GC (2016 Apr 06). Scleral fixation of a posterior chamber intraocular lens combined with penetrating keratoplasty in an aphakic patient with microcornea and microphthalmia.LID - 10.1136/bcr-2016-214429 [doi]LID - bcr2016214429 [pii]. BMJ Case Rep, 2016.
- Thomas BJ, Sanders DS, Oliva MS, Orrs MS, Glick P, Ruit S, Chen W, Luoto J, Tasfaw AK, Tabin GC (2016 Sep). Blindness, cataract surgery and mortality in Ethiopia. Br J Ophthalmol, 100(9), 1157-62.
- Banerjee S, Li HJ, Tsaousis KT, Tabin GC (2016 Nov 04). Salvaging deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty with microbubble incision technique in failed "big bubble" cases: an update study. Eur J Ophthalmol, 26(6), 643-645.
- Gushchin AG, Crum AV, Limbu BB, Quigley EP 3rd, Seward MS, Tabin GC (2016 Dec 09). Simbu Ptosis: An Outreach Approach to Myogenic Ptosis in Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea-Experience and Results From a High-Volume Oculoplastic Surgical Camp. (Epub ahead of print) Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg.
- Cushing TA, Roberts WO, Hackett P, Dexter WW, Brent JS, Young CC, Fudge JR, Hawkins SC, DeLoughery TG, Thomas BJ, Tabin GC, Jacoby LE, Asplund CA (2015 Sep). General Medical Considerations for the Wilderness Adventurer: Medical Conditions That May Worsen With or Present Challenges to Coping With Wilderness Exposure. Clin J Sport Med, 25(5), 396-403.
- Thapa R, Poudyal G, Crandall AS, Tabin G (2013 Jan). Vitreo-retinal disorders at high altitude in Nepal. Nepal J Ophthalmol, 5(9), 57-62.
- Lepcha NT, Chettri CK, Getshen K, Rai BB, Ramaswamy SB, Saibaba S, Nirmalan PK, Demarchis EH, Tabin G, Morley M, Morley K (2013 Aug). Rapid assessment of avoidable blindness in Bhutan. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv, 20(4), 212-9.
- Osher RH, Tabin GC, Nagy ZZ, Crandall AS, Agarwal A, Jacob S, Chang DF, Koch DD, Fishkind WJ, Chakrabarti A (2013 Feb). Cataract surgical problem: February consultation. J Cataract Refract Surg, 39(2), 299-304.
- Drake B, Paterson R, Tabin G, Butler FK Jr, Cushing T (2012 Dec). Wilderness Medical Society practice guidelines for treatment of eye injuries and illnesses in the wilderness. Wilderness Environ Med, 23(4), 325-36.
- Bajracharya L, Gurung R, Tabin G (2012 Jan). Keratoprosthesis, Dohlman Type I device for a patient with repeated corneal graft failure. Nepal J Ophthalmol, 4(7), 165-9.
- McIntosh SE, Testa M, Walker J, Wing-Gaia S, McIntosh SN, Litwin SE, Needham C, Tabin GC (2011 Mar). Physiological profile of world-record-holder sherpas. Wilderness Environ Med, 22(1), 65-71.
- McIntosh SE, Guercio B, Tabin GC, Leemon D, Schimelpfenig T (2011 Jun). Ultraviolet keratitis among mountaineers and outdoor recreationalists. Wilderness Environ Med, 22(2), 144-7.
- Tabin G, Pettey J (). Low-Cost Cataract Surgery. Advanced Ocular Care, 45-47.
- Tabin G (). Focal Points 2011 Module: Cataract Surgery in the Developing World. Focal Points.
- Feilmeier MR, Tabin GC, Williams L, Oliva M (2010 Jan). The use of glycerol-preserved corneas in the developing world. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol, 17(1), 38-43.
- Feilmeier MR, Sivaraman KR, Oliva M, Tabin GC, Gurung R (2010 Dec). Etiologic diagnosis of corneal ulceration at a tertiary eye center in Kathmandu, Nepal. Cornea, 29(12), 1380-5.
- Slade DS, Johnson JT, Tabin G (2008). Acanthamoeba and fungal keratitis in a woman with a history of intacs corneal implants. Eye Contact Lens, 34(3), 185-7.
- Holz HA, Meyer JJ, Espandar L, Tabin GC, Mifflin MD, Moshirfar M (02/01/2008). Corneal profile analysis after Descement stripping endothelial keratoplasty and its relationship to postoperative hyperopic shift. J Cataract Refract Surg, 34(2), 211-214.
- Tabin GC, Chen M, Espandar L (01/01/2008). Cataract surgery for the developing world. Curr Opin Ophthalmol, 19(1), 55-59.
- Ruit S, Tabin G, Chang D, Bajracharya L, Kline DC, Richheimer W, Shrestha M, Paudyal G (2007 Jan). A prospective randomized clinical trial of phacoemulsification vs manual sutureless small-incision extracapsular cataract surgery in Nepal. Am J Ophthalmol, 143(1), 32-38.
- Paudyal G, Doshi V, Shrestha MK, Kalayoglu MV, Tabin G, Gurung R, Shrestha B, Ruit S (2005 Feb). Treatment of vitreoretinal disorders in the developing world: indications and outcomes of vitreoretinal surgery in Nepal. Ophthalmology, 112(2), 319-26.
- Yellore VS, Rayner SA, Emmert-Buck L, Tabin GC, Raber I, Hannush SB, Stulting RD, Sampat K, Momi R, Principe AH, Aldave AJ (2005 May). No Pathogenic Mutations Identified in the COL8A2 Gene or Four Positional Candidate Genes in Patients with Posterior Polymorphous Corneal Dystrophy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 46(5), 1599-603.
- Thakur J, Reddy H, Wilson ME Jr, Paudyal G, Gurung R, Thapa S, Tabin G, Ruit S (2004 Aug). Pediatric cataract surgery in Nepal. J Cataract Refract Surg, 30(8), 1629-35.
- Murchison A, Richards M, Tabin G, Ruit S, Gurung R (2004). Optimal single intraocular lens power for the Nepali population. Br J Ophthalmol, 88(10), 1235-1236.
- Tabin GC, Gurung R, Paudyal G, Reddy HS, Hobbs CL, Wiedman MS, Ruit S (2004 Aug). Penetrating keratoplasty in Nepal. Cornea, 23(6), 589-96.
- Dimmig JW, Tabin G (2003 Jan-Feb). The ascent of Mount Everest following laser in situ keratomileusis. J Refract Surg, 19(1), 48-51.
- Pun MS, Thakur J, Poudyal G, Gurung R, Rana S, Tabin G, Good WV, Ruit S (2003 May). Ketamine anaesthesia for paediatric ophthalmology surgery. Br J Ophthalmol, 87(5), 535-7.
- Tabin G, Ruit A, Gurung R, Shattuck T, Dimmig J, Murchison A (2002). Temple Eyebanking in Nepal. Cornea, 21(4), 433-435.
- Tabin G, Danenhower C, Reardon D, Dimmig J, McCormick G (2001). Opportunistic Roseomonas Keratitis. Cornea, 20(7), 772-775.
- Tabin G, Taylor H, Snibson Murchison G, Gushchin A, Rogers S (2001). Atypical Presentation of Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Cornea, 20(7), 757-759.
- Tabin G, Ruit S (2000 Oct). Author's reply. Ophthalmology, 107(10), 1797.
- Ruit S, Paudyal G, Gurung R, Tabin G, Moran D, Brian G (2000). An innovation in developing world cataract surgery: sutureless extracapsular cataract extraction with intraocular lens implantation. Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 28, 274-279.
- Ruit S, Moran D, Tabin GC (2000). Cataract intervention in the developing world: knock-on development through mentoring hospitals. Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 28, 71-72.
- Tabin GC, Snibson G, Taylor H (2000). Painless Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 41, 156.
- Vajpayee RB, Thomas S, Sharma N, Dada T, Tabin GC (2000 Sep). Large-diameter lamellar keratoplasty in severe ocular alkali burns: A technique of stem cell transplantation. Ophthalmology, 107(9), 1765-8.
- Tabin GC (1999). Acanthamoeba keratitis often misdiagnosed as herpes simplex virus. Infectious Disease News, 12.
- Tabin GC (1999). Immunomodulators vs. autoimmune disease in difficult keratoplasty. Ocular Surgery News (US Edition), 17.
- Tabin GC (1999). Diagnosed Acanthamoeba keratitis in patients with high pain tolerance. Ocular Surgery News (US Edition), 17.
- Vajpayee RB, Ramu M, Panda A, Sharma N, Tabin GC, Anand JR (1999 Apr). Oversized grafts in children. Ophthalmology, 106(4), 829-32.
- Brown SM, Brooks SE, Mazow ML, Avilla CW, Braverman DE, Greenhaw ST, Green ME, McCartney DL, Tabin GC (1999 Sep). Cluster of diplopia cases after periocular anesthesia without hyaluronidase. J Cataract Refract Surg, 25(9), 1245-9.
- Ruit S, Tabin GC, Nissman SA, Paudyal G, Gurung R (1999 Oct). Low-cost high-volume extracapsular cataract extraction with posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation in Nepal. Ophthalmology, 106(10), 1887-92.
- Wiedman M, Tabin GC (1999 Oct). High-altitude retinopathy and altitude illness. Ophthalmology, 106(10), 1924-6; discussion 1927.
- Tabin GC (1998). Sterile cornea ulcerations present treatment challenge. Ophthalmology Times.
- Alpins NA, Tabin GC, Adams LM, Aldred GF, Kent DG, Taylor HR (1998 Jul-Aug). Refractive versus corneal changes after photorefracive keratectomy for astigmatism. J Refract Surg, 14(4), 386-96.
- Vajpayee RB, Sharma N, Chand M, Tabin GC, Vajpayee M, Anand JR (1998 Nov). Corneal superinfection in acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis. Cornea, 17(6), 614-7.
- Smith EM Jr, Dryden RM, Tabin GC, Thomas D, To KW, Hofmann RJ (1998 Nov). Comparison of the effects of enucleation and orbital reconstruction using free-fat grafts, dermis grafts, and porous polyethylene implants in infant rabbits. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg, 14(6), 415-24.
- Tabin G, Levin S, Snibson G, Loughnan M, Taylor H (1997 Mar). Late recurrences and the necessity for long-term follow-up in corneal and conjunctival intraepithelial neoplasia. Ophthalmology, 104(3), 485-92.
- Forgione P, Tabin GC, Culumnovic P, Burds P, Reese J (1997). Potential for rural cornea donation and reasons for procurement failure; an analysis of all hospital deaths in the State of Vermont for 1994. Cornea.
- Tabin GC, Alpins N, Aldred GF, McCarty CA, Taylor HR (1996 Sep). Astigmatic change 1 year after excimer laser treatment of myopia and myopic astigmatism. Melbourne Excimer Laser Group. J Cataract Refract Surg, 22(7), 924-30.
- Wiedman M, Tabin GC (1986). High altitude retinal hemorrhage as a prognostic indicator in altitude illness. Int Ophthalmol Clin, 26.
- Tabin GC, Gregg JR, Bonci T (1985 Nov-Dec). Predictive leg strength values in immediately prepubescent and postpubescent athletes. Am J Sports Med, 13(6), 387-9.
- Mader TH, Tabin G (2003 Winter). Going to high altitude with preexisting ocular conditions. [Review]. High Alt Med Biol, 4(4), 419-30.
- Tabin GC (1999). High altitude cerebral edema. [Review]. American Alpine Journal, 41.
- Tabin GC (1998). Mountain medicine: A review of the eye at altitude. [Review]. American Alpine Journal, 40.
- Ruit S, Tabin GC, Phil D, Wycoff CC (2006). Fighting Global Blindness, Improving World Vision. American Public Health Assoc.
- Tabin G (2002). Blind Corners: Adventures on Everest and The World's Tallest Peaks. The Globe Pequot Press.
- Tabin G, Garg A, Fry LL, Gutierrez-Carmona FJ, Pandey SK (Eds.) (2004). Clinical Practice in Small Incision Cataract Surgery (Phaco Manual). JayPee Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd.
- Vajpayee R, Tabin G (Eds.) (2002). Corneal Surgery. Slack Inc.
- Bujak MC, Gurang R, DeMarchic E, Ruit S, Tabin G (). Complications in Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery. In Agarwal A, Jacob S (Eds.), Complications in Ocular Surgery (pp. 167-80). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK Incorporated.
- Geoffrey Tabin (In Press). The Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) - Six Main Priorities and Associated Public Health Principles. In Global Surgery and Public Health: A New Paradigm (First). Jones and Bartlett Publishers, LLC.
- Tabin G (2009). Small Incision Cataract Surgery in Underdeveloped Countries. In Steinert RF (Ed.), Cataract Surgery (Third Edition, p. 125). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier.
- Tabin GC ((In Press)). Small Incision Cataract Surgery in Underdeveloped Countries. In Steinhert RF (Ed.), Cataract Surgery 3rd Edition (pp. Chapter 11). Elsevier.
- Tabin G, Ruit S (2004). Small Incision Sutureless Temporal Approach Extracapsular Cataract Surgery. In Tabin G, Garg A, Fry LL, Gutierrez-Carmona FJ, Pandey SK (Eds.), Clinical Practice in Small Incision Cataract Surgery (Phaco Manual) (pp. 398-411). JayPee Brothers Medical Publisher Ltd.
- Tabin G (2002). Limbal Stem Cell Transplantation for Severe Ocular Surface Disease. In Vajpayee, Tabin (Eds.), Corneal Surgery. Slack Inc.
- Tabin GC, Alpins NA, Taylor HR (1997). Photoastigmatic refractive keratectomy (PARK). In McGhee CNJ, Taylor H, Gartry D, Trokel S (Eds.), Excimer Lasers in Ophthal Principles and Practice.
- Slade DS, Johnson JT, Tabin G (2008 May). Acanthamoeba and fungal keratitis in a woman with a history of Intacs corneal implants. Eye Contact Lens, 34(3), 185-7.
- Khodabakhsh AJ, Zaidman G, Tabin G (2004 Feb). Corneal surgery for severe phacoemulsification burns. Ophthalmology, 111(2), 332-4.
- Tabin G (2007 Mar). Safety and efficacy of manual small incision cataract surgery for phacolytic glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol, 91(3), 269-70.
- Drake B, Paterson R, Cushing T, Tabin G, Butler F (2013 Jun). Reply to Dr Jay Zimmermann's Letter [Letter to the editor]. Wilderness Environ Med, 24(2), 182-3.
- Ruit S, Tabin G, Gurung R, Shattuck T, Murchison A, Dimmig J (2002 May). Temple eye banking in Nepal [Letter to the editor]. Cornea, 21(4), 433-4.
- Zamos DT, Tabin G (2002 Nov). Tacrolimus (FK506) for high-risk corneal and limbal grafts [Letter to the editor]. Ophthalmology, 109(11), 1953; author reply 1953.
- Ruit S, Brian G, Moran D, Tabin G (2000 Feb). Cataract intervention in the developing world: knock-on development through mentoring hospitals [Letter to the editor]. Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 28(1), 71-2.
- Tabin GC, Post M, Singh M (1988). A study of biological response to formalin preserved allogenic osteochondral grafts in a canine model [Abstract]. Trans Ortho Res Soc, 13.