Jorie M. Butler, PhD
- Health Psychology
- Family Adaptation to Chronic Illness
- Medical Education
- Decision Making
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Patient Satisfaction
- Decision Support Systems, Clinical
- Health-related Instrument and Survey Development
- Survey Methodology
- Qualitative Research
- Developing Mixed-Methods (Qualitative-Quantitative) Approaches to Integrating Data Analysis
- User-Computer Interface
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine - Research Associate Professor, Psychology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
A Health Psychologist by training, my research is focused on relational and contextual factors associated with patient centered care, shared decision making, clinician education, and clinical decision making. I focus on the goals and personal experiences of patients, and how clinicians obtain and use that information to encourage active patient involvement in patient centered care and shared decision making, particularly for older populations. I study clinician decision making particularly in antibiotic prescribing and the systems and solutions that support those decision processes for optimal prescribing in the context of antibiotic stewardship. I use these goals to support development and evaluation of implementation of informatics solutions for enhancing patient centered care and clinical decision making. I also evaluate educational experiences of physicians, nurses, and other associated health trainees. My expertise in quantitative methods, qualitative methods, and usability inform my role as Associate Director for Education and Evaluation in the VA Salt Lake City Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC), and research I direct measuring patient centered care in patient-provider interactions in VA.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
Developmental Health Psychology
|Doctoral Training||University of California, Irvine
Developmental Health Psychology
|Undergraduate||University of California, Riverside
Psychology and History
- Beesley SJ, Powell A, Groat D, Butler J, Hopkins RO, Rozenblum R, Aboumatar H, Butler AM, Sugarman J, Francis L, Brown SM (2021). Evaluating the Balance Between Privacy and Access in Digital Information Sharing. (Epub ahead of print) Crit Care Med.
- Sanyer O, Butler JM, Fortenberry K, Webb-Allen T, Ose D (2021). Information sharing via electronic health records in team-based care: the patient perspective. Fam Pract, 38(4), 468-472.
- Taber P, Weir C, Butler JM, Graber CJ, Jones MM, Madaras-Kelly K, Zhang Y, Chou AF, Samore MH, Goetz MB, Glassman PA (2021). Social dynamics of a population-level dashboard for antimicrobial stewardship: A qualitative analysis. Am J Infect Control, 49(7), 862-867.
- Schnock K, Roulier S, Butler J, Dykes P, Fiskio J, Gibson B, Lipsitz S, Miller S, Shaykevich S, Bates D, Classen D (2021). Engaging Patients in the Use of Real-Time Electronic Clinical Data to Improve the Safety and Reliability of Their Own Care. (Epub ahead of print) J Patient Saf.
- Marchand WR, Sandoval K, Lackner R, Parker SC, Herrmann T, Yabko B, Velasquez T, Lewis L, Butler J (2020). Mindfulness-based interventions for military veterans: A systematic review and analysis of the literature. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 42, 101274.
- Shimada SL, Zocchi MS, Hogan TP, Kertesz SG, Rotondi AJ, Butler JM, Knight SJ, DeLaughter K, Kleinberg F, Nicklas J, Nazi KM, Houston TK (2020). Impact of Patient-Clinical Team Secure Messaging on Communication Patterns and Patient Experience: Randomized Encouragement Design Trial. J Med Internet Res, 22(11), e22307.
- Butler JM, Gibson B, Lewis L, Reiber G, Kramer H, Rupper R, Herout J, Long B, Massaro D, Nebeker J (2020). Patient-centered care and the electronic health record: exploring functionality and gaps. JAMIA Open, 3(3), 360-368.
- Beesley SJ, Hirshberg EL, Wilson EL, Butler JM, Oniki TA, Kuttler KG, Orme JF, Hopkins RO, Brown SM (2020). Depression and Change in Caregiver Burden Among Family Members of Intensive Care Unit Survivors. Am J Crit Care, 29(5), 350-357.
- Hruza HR, Velasquez T, Madaras-Kelly KJ, Fleming-Dutra KE, Samore MH, Butler JM (2020). Evaluation of clinicians' knowledge, attitudes, and planned behaviors related to an intervention to improve acute respiratory infection management. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, 41(6), 672-679.
- Rosenberg LJ, Butler JM, Caprio AJ, Rhodes RL, Braun UK, Vitale CA, Telonidis J, Periyakoil VS, Farrell TW (2019). Results From a Survey of American Geriatrics Society Members' Views on Physician-Assisted Suicide. J Am Geriatr Soc, 68(1), 23-30.
- Gibson B, Butler J, Doyon K, Ellington L, Bray BE, Zeng Q (2017). Veterans Like Me: Formative evaluation of a patient decision aid design. J Biomed Inform, 71S, S46-S52.
- Butler JM, Anderson KA, Supiano MA, Weir CR (2017). "It Feels Like a Lot of Extra Work": Resident Attitudes About Quality Improvement and Implications for an Effective Learning Health Care System. Acad Med, 92(7), 984-990.
- Butler JM, Hirshberg EL, Hopkins RO, Wilson EL, Orme JF, Beesley SJ, Kuttler K, Brown SM (2016). Preliminary Identification of Coping Profiles Relevant to Surrogate Decision Making in the ICU. PLoS ONE, 11(11), e0166542.
- Zeng-Treitler Q, Gibson B, Hill B, Butler J, Christensen C, Redd D, Shao Y, Bray B (2016). The effect of simulated narratives that leverage EMR data on shared decision-making: a pilot study. BMC Res Notes, 9, 359.
- Gibson B, Butler JM, Lewis L, Weir C (2016). Predictors of patient's intentions to participate in pragmatic clinical trials: An initial exploration. SSM Popul Health, 2, 90-94.
- Jones M, Butler J, Graber C, Glassman P, Samore MH, Weir C, Goetz MB (2015). A cognitive perspective of an antibiotic timeout program. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control, 4(Suppl 1), 187.
- Weir CR, Butler J, Thraen I, Woods PA, Hermos J, Ferguson R, Gleason T, Barrus R, Fiore L (2014). Veterans Healthcare Administration providers' attitudes and perceptions regarding pragmatic trials embedded at the point of care. Clin Trials, 11(3), 292-299.
- Butler JM, Carter M, Hayden C, Gibson B, Weir C, Snow L, Morales J, Smith A, Bateman K, Gundlapalli AV, Samore M (2013). Understanding adoption of a personal health record in rural health care clinics: revealing barriers and facilitators of adoption including attributions about potential patient portal users and self-reported characteristics of early adopting users. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2013, 152-61.
- Graber CJ, Jones MM, Glassman PA, Weir C, Butler J, Nechodom K, Kay CL, Furman AE, Tran TT, Foltz C, Pollack LA, Samore MH, Goetz MB (2015). Taking an Antibiotic Time-out: Utilization and Usability of a Self-Stewardship Time-out Program for Renewal of Vancomycin and Piperacillin-Tazobactam. Hosp Pharm, 50(11), 1011-24.