Lauren E. Schrock, MD
- Movement Disorders
- Basal Ganglia Physiology
- Stereotactic targeting & intraoperative microelectrode recording for deep brain stimulation surgery
- Departments: Neurology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Sleep and Movement Disorders
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Psychiatry)
Academic Office Information
Imaging and Neurosciences Center
729 Arapeen Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
My research has focused on neuromodulation as both a therapy for movement disorders such as Parkinson disease, dystonia, and tremors, including novel indications (e.g., Tourette syndrome, primary freezing of gait), and also as a tool to further understand underlying disease pathophysiology and normal brain circuitry. My attention has recently turned to the development of new models of care for DBS patients, leveraging technology to improve efficiency (and therefore access) and quality of care for complex DBS patients.
Lauren E. Schrock, MD joined the Department of Neurology in July 2009. Her clinical interests include movement disorders, with particular focus on dystonia and the surgical management of movement disorders. Dr. Schrock has a special interest in the neurophysiology of basal ganglia-thalamocortical circuits and their role in Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, tremor, and other movement disorders.
|Fellowship||University of California - San Francisco/ SF VAMC PADRECC
|Residency||University of Michigan
|Internship||University of Michigan
|Professional Medical||University of Iowa College of Medicine
|Graduate Training||New York University
|Undergraduate||St. Olaf College
Psychology and Chemistry
- Schrock LE, Mink JW, Woods DW, Porta M, Servello D, Visser-Vandewalle V, Silburn PA, Foltynie T, Walker HC, Shahed-Jimenez J, Savica R, Klassen BT, Machado AG, Foote KD, Zhang JG, Hu W, Ackermans L, Temel Y, Mari Z, Changizi BK, Lozano A, Auyeung M, Kaido T, Agid Y, Welter ML, Khandhar SM, Mogilner AY, Pourfar MH, Walter BL, Juncos JL, Gross RE, Kuhn J, Leckman JF, Neimat JA, Okun MS (2015). Tourette syndrome deep brain stimulation: a review and updated recommendations. Mov Disord, 30(4), 448-71.
- Gunduz A, Morita H, Rossi PJ, Allen WL, Alterman RL, Bronte-Stewart H, Butson CR, Charles D, Deckers S, de Hemptinne C, DeLong M, Dougherty D, Ellrich J, Foote KD, Giordano J, Goodman W, Greenberg BD, Greene D, Gross R, Judy JW, Karst E, Kent A, Kopell B, Lang A, Lozano A, Lungu C, Lyons KE, Machado A, Martens H, McIntyre C, Min HK, Neimat J, Ostrem J, Pannu S, Ponce F, Pouratian N, Reymers D, Schrock L, Sheth S, Shih L, Stanslaski S, Steinke GK, Stypulkowski P, Troster AI, Verhagen L, Walker H, Okun MS (2015). Proceedings of the Second Annual Deep Brain Stimulation Think Tank: What's in the Pipeline. Int J Neurosci, 1-11.
- Sivakumar W, Garber ST, Schrock LE, House PA (2013). Recurrent, delayed hemorrhage associated with edoxaban after deep brain stimulation lead placement. Case Rep Neurol Med, 2013, 691840.
- Anderson JS, Dhatt HS, Ferguson MA, Lopez-Larson M, Schrock LE, House PA, Yurgelun-Todd D (2011). Functional connectivity targeting for deep brain stimulation in essential tremor. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, 32(10), 1963-8.
- Christine CW, Garwood ER, Schrock LE, Austin DE, McCulloch CE (2010). Parkinsonism in patients with a history of amphetamine exposure. Mov Disord, 25(2), 228-31.
- Schrock LE, Ostrem JL (2010). A child with progressive dystonia, dysarthria, and spasticity. Rev Neurol Dis, 7(1), 32-3; discussion 39-42.
- Chang EF, Schrock LE, Starr PA, Ostrem JL (2010). Long-term benefit sustained after bilateral pallidal deep brain stimulation in patients with refractory tardive dystonia. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg, 88(5), 304-10.
- Ostrem JL, Christine CW, Glass GA, Schrock LE, Starr PA (2010). Pedunculopontine nucleus deep brain stimulation in a patient with primary progressive freezing gait disorder. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg, 88(1), 51-5.
- Kim SY, Schrock L, Wilson RM, Frank SA, Holloway RG, Kieburtz K, de Vries RG (2009). An approach to evaluating the therapeutic misconception. IRB, 31(5), 7-14.
- Schrock LE, Ostrem JL, Turner RS, Shimamoto SA, Starr PA (2009). The subthalamic nucleus in primary dystonia: single-unit discharge characteristics. J Neurophysiol, 102(6), 3740-52.
- Shprecher DR, Schrock L, Himle M (2014). Neurobehavioral aspects, pathophysiology, and management of Tourette syndrome. [Review]. Curr Opin Neurol, 27(4), 484-92.
- Chang EF, Schrock L, Starr PS, Ostrem JL (2009). Long-term outcomes after pallidal deep brain stimulation for tardive dystonia/dyskinesia [Abstract]. Movement Disorders Society 13th International Congress. Movement Disorders, 24(Suppl 1), S64-S65.
- Ostrem JL, Christine CW, Volz MM, Glass GA, Larson PS, Schrock LE, Starr PA (2008). Pedunculopontine nucleus deep brain stimulation in primary progressive freezing of gait: A case study [Abstract]. Movement Disorders Society 12th International Congress. Movement Disorders, 23(Suppl. 1).
- Christine CW, Schrock LE, Austin D, Garwood ER (2008). Parkinsonian phenotype in patients with prior exposure to amphetamine [Abstract]. Movement Disorders Society 12th International Congress. Movement Disorders, 23(Suppl 1).
- Schrock LE, Starr PA, Ostrem JL (2008). Bilateral pallidal deep brain stimulation surgery for status dystonicus: A report of 2 cases. Presented at the International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders [Abstract]. Movement Disorders, 23(Suppl. 1).
- Schrock LE, Shimamoto S, Ostrem JL, Turner RS, Starr PA (2008). Physiology of the subthalamic nucleus in patients with primary dystonia. Selected for guided poster tour [Abstract]. Movement Disorders Society 12th International Congress. Movement Disorders, 23(Suppl. 1).
- Schrock LE (Winter 2011). Controversies in PD. Are placebo-controlled trials of surgical treatments for Parkinson's disease necessary? PRO Opinion. Parkinson's Disease Monitor & Commentary.
- Saminejad B, House PA, Ballard J, Schrock LE (2016). Runner’s Dystonia Successfully Treated with Unilateral Globus Pallidus Interna (GPi) Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). Poster session presented at American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting.
- Wark HA, Duffley GH, Butson CR, Mickey B, Schrock LE (2016). Acute mood changes induced by subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation. Poster session presented at 2016 Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Meeting.
- Anderson JA, Dhatt H, Ferguson MA, Lopez-Larson M, Schrock LE, House PA, Yurgelun-Todd, D (June 2011). Functional Connectivity Targeting for Deep Brain Stimulation in Essential Tremor. Poster session presented at American Society of Neuroradiology 49th Annual Meeting.