Lisa A. Lesniewski, MA, PhD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
Academic Office Information
VA - Building #2
VA Salt Lake City GRECC 182
500 S Foothill Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84148
Dr. Lesniewski is an Associate Professor in the Division of Geriatrics and is an Adjunct Associate Professor with the Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology. She is a GRECC investigator and the Co-Principal Investigator of the Translational Vascular Physiology Lab.
Dr. Lesniewski's primary research interests are to understand how aging modulates the susceptibility of the vascular and metabolic systems to high fat feeding/obesity and to understand how aging modifies atherosclerotic burden and severity. Within these general research areas, Dr. Lesniewski examines the role that adipose inflammation plays in inducing systemic metabolic and vascular dysfunction with aging and high fat feeding, as well as the role of adipose tissue a in this systemic dysfunction. To examine these interests, Dr. Lesniewski utilizes dietary and genetic manipulation of rodent models to examine whole body and in vitro metabolic and vascular function. In addition, Dr. Lesniewski utilizes genetic and surgical models of atherosclerosis to elucidate novel pathways that modulate atheroslcerotic burden and severity across the lifespan.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Colorado-Boulder
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of California-San Diego
|Doctoral Training||Texas A&M University
|Graduate Training||Kent State University
|Undergraduate||Ohio State University
- Phuong TTT, Walker AE, Henson GD, Machin DR, Li DY, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). Deletion of Robo4 prevents high-fat diet-induced adipose artery and systemic metabolic dysfunction. 26(5), e12540.
- Walker AE, Kronquist EK, Chinen KT, Reihl KD, Li DY, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2019). Cerebral and skeletal muscle feed artery vasoconstrictor responses in a mouse model with greater large elastic artery stiffness. Exp Physiol, 104(3), 434-442.
- Hazra S, Henson GD, Bramwell RC, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). Impact of high-fat diet on vasoconstrictor reactivity of white and brown adipose tissue resistance arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 316(3), H485-H494.
- Walker AE, Breevoort SR, Durrant JR, Liu Y, Machin DR, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Meza AJ, Islam MT, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). The pro-atherogenic response to disturbed blood flow is increased by a western diet, but not by old age. Sci Rep, 9(1), 2925.
- Morgan RG, Walker AE, Trott DW, Machin DR, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Cawthon RM, Denchi EL, Liu Y, Bloom SI, Phuong TT, Richardson RS, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2019). Induced Trf2 deletion leads to aging vascular phenotype in mice associated with arterial telomere uncapping, senescence signaling, and oxidative stress. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 127, 74-82.
- Gogulamudi VR, Cai J, Lesniewski LA (2018). Reversing age-associated arterial dysfunction: insight from preclinical models. J Appl Physiol (1985), 125(6), 1860-1870.
- Donato AJ, Machin DR, Lesniewski LA (2018). Mechanisms of Dysfunction in the Aging Vasculature and Role in Age-Related Disease. Circ Res, 123(7), 825-848.
- Machin DR, Bloom SI, Campbell RA, Phuong TTT, Gates PE, Lesniewski LA, Rondina MT, Donato AJ (2018). Advanced age results in a diminished endothelial glycocalyx. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 315(3), H531-H539.
- Trott DW, Henson GD, Ho MHT, Allison SA, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2016). Age-related arterial immune cell infiltration in mice is attenuated by caloric restriction or voluntary exercise. Exp Gerontol, 109, 99-107.
- Zhu W, Shi DS, Winter JM, Rich BE, Tong Z, Sorensen LK, Zhao H, Huang Y, Tai Z, Mleynek TM, Yoo JH, Dunn C, Ling J, Bergquist JA, Richards JR, Jiang A, Lesniewski LA, Hartnett ME, Ward DM, Mueller AL, Ostanin K, Thomas KR, Odelberg SJ, Li DY (2017). Small GTPase ARF6 controls VEGFR2 trafficking and signaling in diabetic retinopathy. J Clin Invest, 127(12), 4569-4582.
- Trott DW, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2017). Selected life-extending interventions reduce arterial CXCL10 and macrophage colony-stimulating factor in aged mouse arteries. Cytokine, 96, 102-106.
- Lesniewski LA, Seals DR, Walker AE, Henson GD, Blimline MW, Trott DW, Bosshardt GC, LaRocca TJ, Lawson BR, Zigler MC, Donato AJ (2016). Dietary rapamycin supplementation reverses age-related vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress, while modulating nutrient-sensing, cell cycle, and senescence pathways. Aging Cell, 16(1), 17-26.
- Lesniewski LA, Seals DR, Walker AE, Henson GD, Blimline MW, Trott DW, Bosshardt GC, LaRocca TJ, Lawson BR, Zigler MC, Donato AJ (2016). Dietary rapamycin supplementation reverses age-related vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress, while modulating nutrient sensing, cell-cycle and senescence pathways. Aging Cell, 6, 17-26.
- Hazra S, Henson GD, Morgan RG, Breevoort SR, Ives SJ, Richardson RS, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2016). Experimental reduction of miR-92a mimics arterial aging. Exp Gerontol, 83, 165-70.
- Walker AE, Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes D, Lesniewski LA, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2016). Age-related arterial telomere uncapping and senescence is greater in women compared with men. Exp Gerontol, 73, 65-71.
- Donato AJ, Morgan RG, Walker AE, Lesniewski LA (2015). Cellular and molecular biology of aging endothelial cells. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 89(Pt B), 122-35.
- Gibson CC, Davis CT, Zhu W, Bowman-Kirigin JA, Walker AE, Tai Z, Thomas KR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Li DY (2015). Dietary Vitamin D and Its Metabolites Non-Genomically Stabilize the Endothelium. PLoS ONE, 10(10), e0140370.
- Walker AE, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Morgan RG, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Ling J, Mecham RP, Li DY, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2015). Greater impairments in cerebral artery compared with skeletal muscle feed artery endothelial function in a mouse model of increased large artery stiffness. J Physiol, 593(8), 1931-43.
- Gibson CC, Zhu W, Davis CT, Bowman-Kirigin JA, Chan AC, Ling J, Walker AE, Goitre L, Delle Monache S, Retta SF, Shiu YT, Grossmann AH, Thomas KR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Whitehead KJ, Li DY (2015). Strategy for identifying repurposed drugs for the treatment of cerebral cavernous malformation. Circulation, 131(3), 289-99.
- Lesniewski LA, Wenceslau C, Zucker I (2019). Vasoconstriction in White and Brown Adipose [Podcast]. Available: https://ajpheart.podbean.com/e/vasoconstriction-in-white-and-brown-adipose/.
- Robinson A, Lesniewski LA, Gutterman D (2017). Exercise Averts High Pressure-Induced Vascular Dysfunction [Podcast]. Available: https://ajpheart.podbean.com/e/exercise-averts-high-pressure-induced-vascular-dysfunction/.