Anthony J. Donato, PhD, MS
- Departments: Biochemistry - Adjunct Associate Professor, Internal Medicine - Associate Professor, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
Academic Office Information
VA - Building #2
VA Salt Lake City GRECC
500 S Foothill Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84148
My primary research focus is vascular aging, in particular the cellular, molecular and tissue specific events that induce reductions in muscle blood flow during exercise, impair arterial endothelial function and stiffen large elastic arteries in older rodents/adults. These vascular phenotypes contribute to the age related decline in functional capacity and the development of cardiovascular disease, and can be ameliorated by lifestyle interventions such as habitual exercise and caloric restriction. My secondary focus, is to elucidate the cellular pathways which confer the vaso-protective effects of these lifestyle interventions and try to activate these pathways pharmacologically to see if this will confer some of the same benefits. I have used human, rodent, and cell models to address these questions and utilized a wide range of contemporary translational experimental techniques from microRNA gene expression to ultrasonography to investigate the aforementioned interests.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Colorado, Department of Integrative Physiology
Integrative Physiology of Aging Laboratory, Dr. Doug Seals
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of California at San Diego, Department of Medicine, Dr. Russell Richardson
|Doctoral Training||Texas A&M University
|Graduate Training||University of Colorado, Boulder
Kinesiology and Applied Physiology
|Undergraduate||University of Colorado, Boulder
|"Telomere uncapping causes cellular senescence and inflammation in arteries: implications for arterial aging and hypertension” First International Medical Science Summit of the Tongji Hospital Wuhan, China||China|
- Donato AJ, Machin DR, Lesniewski LA (2018). Mechanisms of Dysfunction in the Aging Vasculature and Role in Age-Related Disease. Circ Res, 123(7), 825-848.
- Machin DR, Bloom SI, Campbell RA, Phuong TTT, Gates PE, Lesniewski LA, Rondina MT, Donato AJ (2018). Advanced age results in a diminished endothelial glycocalyx.LID - 10.1152/ajpheart.00104.2018 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol.
- Morgan RG, Donato AJ, Walker AE (2018). Telomere uncapping and vascular aging.LID - 10.1152/ajpheart.00008.2018 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol.
- Simcox J, Geoghegan G, Maschek JA, Bensard CL, Pasquali M, Miao R, Lee S, Jiang L, Huck I, Kershaw EE, Donato AJ, Apte U, Longo N, Rutter J, Schreiber R, Zechner R, Cox J, Villanueva CJ (2017). Global Analysis of Plasma Lipids Identifies Liver-Derived Acylcarnitines as a Fuel Source for Brown Fat Thermogenesis. Cell Metab, 26(3), 509-522.e6.
- Machin DR, Gates PE, Vink H, Frech TM, Donato AJ (2017). Automated Measurement of Microvascular Function Reveals Dysfunction in Systemic Sclerosis: A Cross-sectional Study. J Rheumatol, 44(11), 1603-1611.
- Rossman MJ, Kaplon RE, Hill SD, McNamara MN, Santos-Parker JR, Pierce GL, Seals DR, Donato AJ (2017). Endothelial cell senescence with aging in healthy humans: prevention by habitual exercise and relation to vascular endothelial function. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 313(5), H890-H895.
- Machin DR, Clifton HL, Richardson RS, Wray DW, Donato AJ, Frech TM (2017). Acute oral tetrahydrobiopterin administration ameliorates endothelial dysfunction in systemic sclerosis. Clin Exp Rheumatol, 35 Suppl 106(4), 167-172.
- Trott DW, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2017). Selected life-extending interventions reduce arterial CXCL10 and macrophage colony-stimulating factor in aged mouse arteries. Cytokine, 96, 102-106.
- Lesniewski LA, Seals DR, Walker AE, Henson GD, Blimline MW, Trott DW, Bosshardt GC, LaRocca TJ, Lawson BR, Zigler MC, Donato AJ (2017). Dietary rapamycin supplementation reverses age-related vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress, while modulating nutrient-sensing, cell cycle, and senescence pathways. Aging Cell, 16(1), 17-26.
- Morgan RG, Venturelli M, Gross C, Tarperi C, Schena F, Reggiani C, Naro F, Pedrinolla A, Monaco L, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2017). Age-Associated ALU Element Instability in White Blood Cells Is Linked to Lower Survival in Elderly Adults: A Preliminary Cohort Study. PLoS One, 12(1), e0169628.