Joely Straseski, PhD
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Ovarian Reserve
- Ovarian Function Tests
- Ovarian Failure, Premature
- Anti-Mullerian Hormone
- Pediatric Reference Intervals
- Clinical Chemistry
- Departments: Pathology - Associate Professor (Clinical)
- Divisions: Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Clinical Chemistry
Academic Office Information
500 Chipeta Way, Room: Mail Code 115
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Straseski is an Associate Professor (Clinical) in the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. She is the Medical Director of Endocrinology and Co-Director of the Automated Core Laboratory at ARUP Laboratories. Dr. Straseski also serves as the co-director of the clinical chemistry postdoctoral fellowship training program at the University of Utah. She is board certified in clinical chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry and is a fellow of the AACC Academy.
Dr. Straseski received her Ph.D. in pathology and laboratory medicine from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical chemistry at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, Maryland. She also holds a Masters degree in Bacteriology and Immunology and a Bachelors of Science degree in Medical Technology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is an active member of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, American Society for Clinical Pathology, and serves as the chair of the Board of Editors for Clinical Laboratory News.
Dr. Straseski's research interests are reproductive endocrinology, specifically markers of ovarian reserve and fertility.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Department of Pathology
|Postdoctoral Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Pathology
Postdoctoral Associate, Allen-Hoffmann Laboratory
|Doctoral Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
|Graduate Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison
|Undergraduate||University of Wisconsin-Madison
|01/01/2019||Corresponding Member||Committee for Emerging Technologies in Pediatric and Laboratory Medicine (C-ETPLM)||Global|
- Klee GG, Ichihara K, Ozarda Y, Baumann NA, Straseski JA, Bryant SC, Wood-Wentz CM (2018). Reference intervals: Comparison of calculation methods and evaluation of procedures for merging reference measurements from two USA medical centers. Am J Clin Pathol, 150, 545-54.
- Lin DC, Straseski JA, Schmidt, RL, The Thyroid Benchmarking Group (2017). Multi-center benchmark study reveals significant variation in thyroid testing in United States. Thyroid, 27(10), 1232-45.
- Ichihara K, Ozarda Y, Barth JH, Klee G, Shimizu Y, Xia L, Hoffmann M, Shah S, Matsha T, Wassung J, Smit F, Ruzhanskaya A, Straseski J, Bustos DN, Kimura S, Takahashi A, Committee on Reference Intervals and Decision Limits, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine and Science Committee, Asia-Pacific Federation for Clinical Biochemistry (2017). A global multicenter study on reference values: 2. Exploration of sources of variation across the countries. Clin Chim Acta, 467, 83-97.
- Powers JA, Strathmann FG, Straseski JA (2017). Thyroglobulin antibody screen prior to mass spectrometry provides measurable cost savings and optimal laboratory utilization. Am J Clin Pathol, 147(3), 309-14.
- Straseski JA, Whale C, Wilson A, Strathmann FG (2016). The significance of reporting to the thousandths place: Figuring out the laboratory limitations. Practical Laboratory Medicine, 7, 1-5.
- Laulu SL, Rasmussen KJ, Straseski JA (2016). Pediatric reference intervals for free thyroxine and free triiodothyronine by equilibrium dialysis-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol, 8(1), 26-31.
- Schmidt RL, Straseski JA, Raphael KL, Adams AH, Lehman CM (2015). A risk assessment of the Jaffe vs enzymatic method for creatinine measurement in an outpatient population. PLoS ONE, 10(11), e0143205.
- Wyness SP, Straseski JA (2015). Performance characteristics of six automated 25-hydroxyvitamin D assays: Mind your 3's and 2's. Clin Biochem, 48(16-17), 1089-96.
- Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Straseski JA, Meikle AW (2014). Comparison of LC-MS/MS to an immunoassay for measurement of thyroglobulin in fine-needle aspiration samples. Clin Chem, 60(11), 1452-3.
- Laulu SL, Straseski JA, Schmidt RL, Genzen JR (2014). Thrombin-mediated degradation of parathyroid hormone in serum tubes. Clin Chim Acta, 437, 191-6.
- Wyness SP, Yee MA, Laulu SL, Tosiello L, Straseski JA (2014). Multiple macroenzymes in a patient with AIDS: Diagnosis using ultrafiltration. Am J Clin Pathol, 142(2), 266-8.
- Owen WE, Bunker AM, Straseski JA (2014). Pediatric reference intervals for thyroglobulin using the Beckman Coulter Access 2 immunoassay. Clin Chim Acta, 435, 40-1.
- Merrigan SD, Yang DT, Straseski JA (2014). Intrinsic factor blocking antibody interference is not detected in five automated cobalamin immunoassays. Am J Clin Pathol, 141(5), 702-5.
- Bihorac A, Chawla LS, Shaw AD, Al-Khafaji A, Davison DL, Demuth GE, Fitzgerald R, Gong MN, Graham DD, Gunnerson K, Heung M, Jortani S, Kleerup E, Koyner JL, Krell K, Letourneau J, Lissauer M, Miner J, Nguyen HB, Ortega LM, Self WH, Sellman R, Shi J, Straseski J, Szalados JE, Wilber ST, Walker MG, Wilson J, Wunderink R, Zimmerman J, Kellum JA (2014). Validation of cell-cycle arrest biomarkers for acute kidney injury using clinical adjudication. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 189(8), 932-9.
- Straseski JA (2013). Postdoctoral professional fellowships in laboratory medicine. J Int Fed Clin Chem, 24(1), 1-9.
- Ichihara K, Ozarda Y, Klee G, Straseski J, Baumann N, Ishikura K (2013). Utility of a panel of sera for the alignment of test results in the worldwide multicenter study on reference values. Clin Chem Lab Med, 51(5), 1007-1025.
- Li QK, Nugent SL, Straseski JA, Cooper D, Riedel S, Askin FB, Sokoll LJ (2013). Thyroglobulin measurements in fine-needle aspiration cytology of lymph nodes for the detection of metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Cytology, 121(8), 440-8.
- Straseski JA, Strathmann FG (2013). Patient data algorithms. Clin Lab Med, 33(1), 147-60.
- Greer R, Straseski JA, Roberts WL (2013). Principles of Clinical Chemistry Automation. In Bishop ML, Fody EP, Schoeff LE (Eds.), Clinical Chemistry: Techniques, Principles, Correlations (7th, pp. 139-159). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Straseski JA, Clarke W (2011). Mass Spectrometry. In Clarke W (Ed.), Contemporary Practice in Clinical Chemistry (2nd, pp. 131-141). Washington DC: AACC Press.
- Wyness SP, Roberts WL, Straseski JA (2013). Pediatric reference intervals for four serum bone markers using two automated immunoassays. [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chim Acta, 415, 169-172.
- Wyness SP, Straseski JA (2014). Performance characteristics of six automated 25-hydroxyvitamin D assays: Mind your 3's and 2's. [Abstract]. Endocrine Reviews, 35(3), SAT-0256.
- Lu J, Holt CM, Choi MA, Kalp KJ, Straseski JA (2014). Analytical evaluation of the AnshLabs picoAMH ELISA assay for anti-mullerian hormone [Abstract]. Endocrine Reviews, 35(3), SUN-0003.
- Hackenmueller S, Straseski JA (2013). Sample contamination. Advance for Administrators of the Laboratory (March 2013, 22(3), pp. 24-26).